Why do ppl need to compare G1 toys with modern stuff?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Easterling Capt, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I usually dont start threads as much but sometimes I just need to say stop and vent.

From antoher thread ( no offense meant to pooster )

"In your opinion maybe.

Personally I think the original G1 toys are crap, very little posability, very little detail and some really odd colour choices.

I prefer the detail and poseability of the newer toys, plus the engineering that goes into the transformations is much better."

Can ppl stop comparing G1 toys with modern toys !

• We all know G1 toys have low and some none articulation.
    • We all know they are bricks.
    • We all know they are around 25 years and some old toys.
    • We all know the tech today is way way better then the 80s so creating "better" toys is of course given.

Stop comparing the new stuff with G1. It would be the same as comparing a modern day race car with one from the 80s...hmm wonder whitch one will be the better one?? ( sarcasam)

why do ppl consistantly need to point out new stuff is better. Of course it is and the same can be said with newer stuff in 10 years time compared to the stuff today.

conclusion: Comparing older toys to newer ones is never fair as tech and engeniring is advancing fast and newer stuff will always( mostly anyway) be superior then the older stuff.

/end rant

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Why not? It would be easier to accept this if Hasbro wasn't releasing new toys of G1 characters.

3. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because it's easy. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of Classics to create modern interpretations of past characters/toys? It just so happens that, due to their populairty, G1 is the majority of Classics-styled toys.

So it's easy to look at the 1984 lineup and do a side-by-side comparison (TB where you at?) to see how far we've come. Just so happens that you have people who collect G1 exclusively, and those who are exclusively into updates...which has inadvertantly created a perceived division [not me though, I collect and enjoy both equally]

4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Cuz modern stuff keeps trying to re-invent G1 stuff, they keep making the same characters that look like G1

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Generation One is the first incarnation of what most of the older crowd associate "TRANSFORMERS" with. Comparing and contrasting any line with the first is nearly unavoidable. This is especially going to happen when a G1 character/toy gets a modern update. Two of the main things that has made TRANSFORMERS successful as a brand has been nostalgia and its ability to continually reinvent itself, with the latter being one of the benchmarks of a successful toy brand.

With that being said, I certainly empathize with the op here. "Bricks" as they may be, these toys in the '80s were very innovative with the transformation gimmick as well as creating a very rich universe with the tech specs and other media. While many G1 toys do have their flaws (pieces that break, limited articulation, etc.), the toys have aged very well in a lot of different areas.

Also, all comparisons fall short at some point. There is always going to be a point in which the two things viewed have their similarities and differences discussed in full.

Additionally, I've never felt the need to have to decide which toyline I prefer over the other. I'm fully capable of enjoying G1 figures as well as movie figures as well as Classics as well as . . . well you get the point :) 

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Comparing the characters, decos et al is fair, but belittling the engineering is ridiculous. Similar to what Easterling Capt says about race cars, look at todays massive HD 3D TV's, no-one directly compares them to an almost thirty year old manually tuned non-remote 15-inch screen, the comparison would be laughable.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Because some people can't afford G1, they feel the need to hate on it. You see the same hate for all exclusives too for the same reason.

8. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

I remember back in 1984 when I got my first look at a TF and I fell in love with the toy line and the cartoon, fast forward to today (age 37) I still love my G1 stuff but I do like the new stuff and I think because I was around at the beginning of the G1 start by default I always think to compare them to the new toy line.

9. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the reason i feel people do this, and a lot of people here are approaching that issue but from different angles, is that modern toys are what we have as a frame of reference. not all of us here are almost 30 years old (sadly, not speaking for myself), so we all don't have that intimate knowledge of what G1 or other toys from the same era were like. I remember when i was a young boy Whirl was the coolest toy ever made. Was he? Not by todays standards, but he certainly left an impression on my young mind when He-Man and MASK and Silverhawks toys littered my living room.

you have to go with what you know, you know? ;) 

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Complaining will stop as soon as the "Geewun elites" stop boasting how that G1 brick collection is greater than anything other TF collectors can collect.

11. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I don't. My G1 is my G1 and my Classics are my Classics.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As someone without a sentimental attachment to G1 toys, I dislike them. For their time they were great. But I don't want things that were great for their time. I quite dislike the Superman movies for the same reason. For the time they were good but in modern times they are just meh at best.

I suspect why some people rage about them is all the undying love admonished on them. The rose colored glasses can be completely solid.

This also isn't to say that I and my peers are immune to this effect, we just have it for different things. It's for this reason that I rarely bash the toys or the cartoon. Okay, maybe I bash the cartoon a bit because it hasn't aged well at all. But I try to let people enjoy what they enjoy.

13. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, god forbid that you'd collect G1 - per definition you automatically think you're better than everyone else if you do...and most likely you're a closet canibalistic baby raping nazi too (sarcasm)

seriously, why do you need to care about what other people like? If a g1 collector wants to show off then let the other g1 collectors say their piece instead of getting offended.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    1000% agreed.

They're over 25 years old. I still think they're kinda cool, and I didn't even grow up with them.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think a lot of the G1 figures still hold up pretty well in comparison to today's toys. If you judge them in terms of how much fun they are, there's still fun to be had. Maybe they don't compare as well with today's Transformers, in terms of complexity and posability but that's because they were designed decades ago. They were pioneering efforts.

The first two still kick the ass of the more recent Superman movie.

Anyway you can't judge a piece of art in terms of its technological advancement. Some of the best films were made 50 and 60 years ago, the same goes for books, paintings, any artform.

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    No, but I have seen collector purists (more so than other line collectors) that clearly, thru posts, spout an elitism that implies no other collection line is better.

Its fine to have an opinion, and to be proud of your collection. Most people ARE. Simply, don't put down others to lift yourself up in a egotistic way.

17. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I don't get the comparisons either...I mean, while they're at it, why not start comparing an Atari 2600 game to the latest PS3 game? Sure, the new one's nice and shiny, but that doesn't mean the old one suddenly sucks. You just can't compare the two.

18. UltraMarknus

UltraMarknus Well-Known Member

I am only interested in G1 characters and my G1 collection is my pride and joy. But to compare them to other lines, engineering wise, is plain silly. As stated, they are almost 30 years old now. To say that G1 is better than anything else in naive. Its all personal preference. Now, I won't hide my hatred for the AEC lines LOL, but who wouldn't? Who wouldn't?

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The AEC toys are actually quite good. The shows are anime 20 minute toy commercials. Of course they're horrid, watch Bakugan or Beyblade. Just as bad as Armada or Energon.

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I thought they were pretty pathetic at the time, but I don't waste my time hating them, because we've moved on, and no one really holds them up as being particularly good in the first place. Unicron Trilogy isn't enough of a player to get hated on.