Why do people who liked the film give a damn what critics thought?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Optimus Sledge, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

And before anyone starts saying "We don't": yes you do. Or at least some of you do. You know the ones. Casual threats to Roger Ebert, abuse to The Spoony One, etc because they didn't like ROTF. Not normal reactions to someone disagreeing with you on a matter of taste, but anger. Why?

I know I've quoted this before, but it's so damn relevant I'm going to quote it again:
    So why do you give a toss what anyone else thinks? For people so insistent that we should all make up our own minds, someone else's opinion is making a lot of fans very cross.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because logic doesn't apply to fans, even if they loved it with all their heart, a single comment will be taken as offense, it also doesn't help that I've seen some reviewers go as far as to say that anybody that liked ROTF should commit suicide and whip their genepool from Earth.

It's like those overly-religious grannys that will slap you in the face if you say "oh my god".

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because people who are paid to have opinions are better than the rest of us, and that sucks.

Also because it's easier to fly into a blind rage when you can assign a name and face to "the enemy"

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Because Transformers films are super serious business.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'd say that probably sums it up.

Yeah, I'd agree that kind of behavior is out of line. But I rarely see that sort of thing coming from most professional critics.
    That's really more of an angry independent web bloger sort of thing.

6. Peter Cullen91

Peter Cullen91 Well-Known Member

my point exactly :thumbs2: 

7. Optimus Sledge

That answers the question I forgot to ask: "why do some people insist on regarding 'the critics' as some sort of hiveminded entity?"

8. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I refer to them as people who cant get a Girlfriend/boyfriend. Since they go on tirades about about a movie, pulling every tiny flaw and turning it into a pixelated blurry panorama. Since its like a small image in paint or gimp. The bigger you make it the harder it is to understand.

9. Optimus Sledge

... and this would be the sort of person I was referring to. Does any of that answer anything I asked? No. It's a bizarre tirade about how critics can't get laid. Well, Ebert's married, so that kinda blows that out of the water. Thanks for playing, and come back when you've actually got something relevant to say.

10. aeligature

aeligature aka zynordar TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Some critics know far more about movies and cinema than I do. Some critics write extremely well and write opinions about movies that I happen to agree with. Therefore, if those critics say something (surprise!) critical of ROTF, and state their reasons, I'm likely to listen to them.

Other critics are hacks, and write reviews purely for the attention and controversy they generate. Some critics have absolutely zero cinematic knowledge. These I will likely not pay any mind to.

Finally, anyone who flips their lid and cries because ROTF was lambasted by the movie critic community is worthy of ridicule. Opinions are still opinions, but unlike a crying fan, they might get paid for theirs.

11. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    The one in case was from The Guardian.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lolol 

Sledge'd.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'd really like to read that review if you can provide it.

Honestly, half the critics are just people reacting to a movie they saw just like we do in these threads. I guarentee the vast majority of don't take their jobs nearly as seriously as we do. Hell, it's pretty difficult to tell who is a serious critic, and who is some asshole writing for his local paper whose review gets published online because everything is online these days. Some write serious pieces, some attempt humorous pieces, and other just don't give a fuck. ROTF extreme lovers just take whatever they write WAY too seriously. I imagine these people talk like South Park Al Gore, "ROTF is the most awsum movie evarhhhhhhh!!!! I'm super cereal. Those critics are gayass tards!!!"

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't give a damn whether critics don't like it. I give a damn if WHY they didn't like it was just dumb. I've seen valid points, and I've seen points so stupid they make the movie itself look like a mensa member (i.e. the criticism of the pretender concept "if a decepticon can disguise itself as a human, why do they bother with vehicle modes?" the answer to that stupid question is pretty obvious [see Terminator 2 for the answer]).

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Trying to find the link, it seems that it wasn't at the guardian after all, I remember getting the link to it mentioned at a 4chan thread, I'll keep on truckin'

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do people who hate the movie feel the need to convince people who liked it to NOT like it? To answer your question.... Tell me that you have NEVER defended something that you liked when someone panned it, and I will just concede that you need a better answer.

17. Optimus Sledge

Who is doing this, and why are you mentioning it here? Start your own damn thread! :tongue: 
    Er, not what I asked. Not really anything to do with what I asked. Could you try again? Perhaps actually read my opening post this time?

18. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

The problem isn't that it got bad reviews or that the critics didn't like it, it just seems like it gets blasted for stupid reasons ("Devastator's balls! :cry  ", "Twins are racist! :cry  ", "Optimus Prime was too much of a bad ass! :cry  ") or for stuff that makes it seem like people are GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY LOOKING for faults instead of just enjoying the movie.

Stuff like this article: Topless Robot - Bonus! Rob's Transformers 2 F.A.Q.s! - Page 1

I mean, to be honest I don't know if it's supposed to be a joke or not (I mean, I really really hope it is >_< ) but look at some of the stuff on that page:

Like, seriously? This is the kind of bullshit that, unless it's a joke that everyone is in on except me, makes me wonder if the people "hating on" RotF really know what they're talking about.

This too:

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

So what exactly are valid complaints? I mean really. People go on and on about how critics and reviewers nitpick, but it really seems to me that they're just saying any complaint isn't valid. Just look at you quoted. Pretender Alice was a huge WTF, but you acted everything about her was logical. Of course, people that don't know about fucking pretenders are going to wonder the deal is and why she is a Decepticon enrolled in college. I'll repeat that, a Decepticon that is enrolled in college.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i used to care, but i gave up after i realized how brain-dead most of the arguments against it were.....oh well i can enjoy ROTF and that is that