Why do people want to be tanned? I want to be pale!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beachbabe, Jul 15, 2008.

1. beachbabe

beachbabe Banned

:)  Ok i dont understand why mostly people in the western world prefer tanned skin?, sure having a nice honey coloured skin is beautiful but i actually myself prefer paler skin. I see pale skin being just as beautiful as tanned skin.

IMO if you have flawless skin, no spots, any skin colour can be beautiful. I myself would love to have fairer skin. Pale skin brings a soft ethreal angelic beauty. Tanned skin brings an exotic,sexy beauty. Both are great! what do you prefer? Lately i havent been taking care of my skin that much so my mum has been making her ointments such as milk+honey, lentils, cucumbers and wiping it on my face lol she seems obessed with me improving my skin.

The funny thing is that im actually Asian so i have light brown skin. Now i have a cousin who is pale, and has green eyes and that is considered pretty and an advantage in my culture . Whereas In western countries people are dying to have a tan. And its the total opposite from where i come from.

And its like my mum said: "you used to be paler when you was a kid and now you have tanned more". LOL.

So what im trying to say is that i think pale, tan skin is beautiful stay with the natural colour you got. Im sick of people trying to tan etc! :)  I know what i prefer for myself but i like to stay natural and i wouldnt do anything like de-tan myself. I just want to care about making my skin healthy and flawless

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I think when I'm more tanned my muscle indention's are more prominent. When I PT I like to run with my shirt off so my upper body always has a nice tan on it and my wife thinks it looks a lot better than pale skin.

3. beachbabe

beachbabe Banned

I can understand that having tanned skin makes you look more toned, and slimmer. But IMO there is nothing wrong with pale skin i think thats also pretty :) . Keira Knightley has pale skin and she looks beautiful!

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I mostly agree, as I tend to like girls with pale skin, but there is a limit to everything. Ive seen some girls who are so pale they look like ghosts. Those are not really ideal.

On the other hand, I have seen many more women (especially those bar chick types) who have tanned past their limits. It looks amazingly horrible. I have leather jackets which look less leathery than the hides on those beasts.

5. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I'm not disagreeing with you..........................pale skin can look good on some people.

6. beachbabe

beachbabe Banned

Yeah albino pale or ghost pale is ugly but so is leather tanned skin which is fake

7. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    Its not necessarily fake they could just spend a lot of time out in the sun.

8. beachbabe

beachbabe Banned

Yeah what i meant was i prefer natural pale, natural tan :) 

9. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I have a soft spot for Gothic/Alternative type girls, so I guess I prefer pale skin too, although truth be told, I'm not that bothered, hahahah.

10. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    Goth chicks are hot.

11. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    And the English language takes another kick in the groin.

On topic. I don't prefer either. Skin is skin. As long as its not falling off in pieces i'm happy.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pale is hot!

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

orange is not!

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I hate seeing the fake tanned chick. Looks like a carrot to me

15. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Natural selection maybe? I think what is going on is a movement towards the middle. People don't want to be COMPLETELY dark nor COMPLETELY pale. In Western countries, there are tanning creams and tanning salons. In countries like India, there is the opposite of fairness creams and lotions.

Thats just a movement towards the center I think. Having darker skin means the skin has more melanin in it. And that means more of the harmful rays of the skin won't penetrate into the deeper layers of the dermis. I think people with pale skin are more prone to Ataxia Telangiectasia and other UV induced diseases. I am unsure if there is anything medically wrong with having too MUCH melanin though.

I think that in previous societies, females were thought of as basically pure and innocent. The fairer they were meant that they were of the higher class since the higher class didn't do as much manual labor. Actually, thats true for both women AND men back then. The paler you were meant the richer you probably were and the higher your status. A trash collector, in those days for instance, would have spent more of his time outside and therefore been darker.

Now, however, having tan color is a mark of good skin as it means you're more active and able to take the conditions of nature better.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I spent two years going to a tanning booth as a teenager because I was paranoid about getting acne. my neighbor's grandson would come down from canada to visit, and he had this horrible, pustule/boil-like acne. totally freaked me out. so I went because I heard the rays killed bacteria on your skin, and zits don't look so bad with darker skin. two things happened during that time period:

1. I had TONS of people tell me how good I looked--I was hotter, I looked healthier, etc.

2. lots of gross stuff happened to my skin. tons of peeling, large pieces flaking off, and my eyes would be bloodshot after getting out of the tanning booth. it was the thought of doing danger to my eyes that made me stop.

luckily, I recently went to the dermatologist for a screening, and 15 years later I have nothing that resembles any kind of cancer. I live near a VERY wealthy town, and there's nail and tanning salons on like every street. I see so many older women around here with that horribly freckled/leathery skin tan that you mentioned. they're just asking for trouble. and there are definitely lots of gorgeous young girls who you can look at and say, "damn, you go to the tanning booth WAY too much." it's a shame, really.

17. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

I'm Scottish. I couldn't get a tan if I tried.

18. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Fake tan FTL

19. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    THIS.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Even Gothapotamus??! Gross.