Why do people want the transformers to look like their g1 counterparts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Oct 10, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

?

Should the characters be a cross between realism and cartoon?

1. I never cared what they look like.

9.2%
  2. Absolutely.

40.8%
  3. I don't care what they look like; only if they act like the characters.

17.1%
  4. No way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I want them to be completely g1.

17.1%
  6. I want them to be completely realistic.

15.8%
  1. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Get out of here with your stupid logic! This is a place driven by childhood memories!

I am also a G1 fan, but I can't believe what nostalgia can do to some people, it's unbelievable...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:57 AM
  2. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Ditto on that. The unique nature of Transformers means the sky’s the limit when it comes to what can be created design wise. And it’s sad that when they can be just about anything, most want them to be the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    A lot of people say about Transformers being able to change their appearance etc. but that was never really the case in G1. A Transformer had two (sometimes 3 or 6) modes and that was it - they couldn't reformat at will. If the Ark decided you were a dump truck with the cab forming your shoulders, then that was it - you couldn't change that. It was only a really serious injury or event that caused a few characters to get brand new bodies in G1. Otherwise, you'd just have to find replacement parts that fit you and your vehicle mode.
    Individual reformat scanners didn't happen in G1 until Nightscream - and that was way into the future.

But yes, I'd say the characters need to be recognisable as in the originals but still retain realistic elements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

I mean I want them to be RECOGNIZABLE as the characters. Like I want to be able to look at them and say “oh that’s Wheeljack” or “that’s optimus” but also I want them to take risks and put their own spin on the designs, not just copy G1

• Like Like x 2
  5. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

G1 is what defined those characters. Design elements can be translated to various mediums and aesthetics, without losing familiarity. That would be good design adaptation. Cartoons are not live action, video games are not comics, etc. But characters can be presented in any medium in a recognisable manner, as any other franchise proves. Frankly, I don't understand many people's pathological obsession with "new and different" all the friggin time and especially without sense of purpose and direction. Anything as long as things don't look familiar, apparently. If that's so, why not just jump unto a totally new and different franchise fandom altogether?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

I adore their IDW (G1?) designs and I would not mind resp. I would be more then happy if they would use those designs in the real movies as well.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    If you grew up on G1, you might remember that Transformers didn't used to be able to reformat on a whim just to impress some teenagers, at apparently zero cost. They were assigned altmodes which they were basically stuck with. Being reconfigured for a different altmode was a surgical procedure, it required external intervention.

Even Transformium makes more sense if the idea is Transformers can just scan and switch altmodes at random.

I've long felt this undermines the whole premise, but others don't seem to care and I don't expect to change their minds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:

Factors like needing to draw up new models or design new toys means they could not just change the characters at whim. Remember how when the Autobots' Ark crashed on Earth, they already had bodies resembling Earth-based vehicles (when they were supposedly newcomers).

Things like that are easy to brush off in a cartoon, which I find less so in the live action movies, which have established that Transformers are able to scan and adopt virtually any form or vehicle.

As mentioned in my earlier post, that basically means the sky's the limit with what you can do design wise. It represents an opportunity to be creative, to try bold and fresh ideas, to push boundaries with designs nobody ever envisaged.

That would all be wasted if one is forever chained to needing something that reminds them of their childhood. Surely after 30 years of the same old, same old, something new and novel would be highly refreshing?

Supposing I grew up on my family's classic Spaghetti Bolognese recipe. I've enjoyed it all my life and loved the taste. But if someday a visionary chef was able to turn into into an ice cream flavour, I'd say bring it on!

Or if I've been living in the same house for 30 years and now bought a new plot of land. Would you ask your architect to recreate the same house, or would you ask him to go crazy and come up with something entirely new? I'd definitely go for the latter. I'd want something modern, with a different paint scheme, with different layouts, etc.

To want to explore, and try new things, is a basic human instinct. This adventure is what allows us to develop new ideas and discover things beyond what we're used to. But apparently, some see that as a negative that needs to be curtailed.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    G1 fans get labelled with the 'not wanting things to change' brush. The thing is (and I'm in danger of going off topic cause here) that the reason I like Generation One was because it wasn't the same old thing all the time. All current incarnations & reboots are more stagnant than G1 because they stick to the same old characters all the time: The movies for instance have Bumblebee & Optimus all the time.
    In G1 it was all about change as new characters always took over the story from the old - the 2006 stories, the Headmasters stories, Masterforce, Victory, Beast Wars etc. The same with the toys - completely new characters all the time which added to the story.

(I hate the term 'G1' by the way.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Because I like being able to recognize a character on screen without having to be told.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Agreed-it's the clash (which I say is deliberately designed to influence this whole "new and different" mindset) of Linear vs. Circular. The Linear worldview posits that recent things have no relation whatsoever to what preceded them, which quite frankly is straight-up assinine; The Circular worldview posits that what happened/happens previously will always affect, and moreso make possible, what happens later. As one of my favorite Hip Hop artists says, "There AIN'T no IS without a WAS". You can't have a present or a future without a past, and they are all connected, just like the infinity symbol, which also, invokes circles, as well as sundials and clocks. . .Time is a consistent thread connecting the aforementioned together. . .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mirage00

Mirage00 Master of Hiding

Took the words right out of my mouth....and fingers.

• Like Like x 2
  13. omenchild

omenchild Member

I don't mind deviations from the G1 design, as long as the toy line comes back to those designs from time to time so that they can apply modern engineering to the classic designs.

I love the Generations/Combiner Wars/PoTP lines, and I don't see that changing with the WfC:S stuff either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    I don't know about you guys, but one of the other things besides modernization is the idea of whether or not characters have to share the same body-type all the time.

Can Thundercracker, Skywarp, Sunstorm or Acid Storm have more to them besides their colour? Or is the rule of being a Seeker to share the same body-type because the lore says so.

There's a reason why I think I liked the design distinction between Bumblebee and Cliffjumper in TFP.

On the other hand, only took them that long to differentiate Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter 5 or Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Ermac and Reptile in Mortal Kombat X.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM
  15. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Not much reason. I'd be ok with that. In some instances, there are necessary and inspired updates to be made as well. As long as you can tell that the character is who he is and acts in line with the original, there is a fairly substantial area for creative liberties, I think. Sometimes the original works just fine as well too, though. I don't think there should be a constant demand for arbitrary changes like there is.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Em, I don't know.

I tried really hard to like the movie designs but no matter how hard I might try to like them they were just completely unappealing to me. Even when they tried adding some color in later movies it just wasn't a look I could like.

It might have something to do with robot designs of that era in general. The Droid Army of Star Wars looked horrible to me without any of the charm that the robot designs had in ye old days. While I enjoyed the Battlestar Galactica reboot series the metal toasters just were not as cool as the original series toasters. It felt like there was a period of blah to ugh with robot designs out of Hollywood for a while.

At least designs have their eras so I feel like I am attempting to wait out the robot era I didn't like in the hopes of what's next will be more appealing. It seems like Star Wars has shifted their designs so a character like BB-8 was different to the original series bots but it was still an appealing design. If Star Wars remains huge at the box office perhaps the other studios will follow suit with it's time for something different in robot designs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I’ve come to the conclusion that they are many who live in a box, and want to forever be playing with the sands they’ve gotten used to.

Then there’s others like me who wishes to explore and push boundaries further. What I find ouside may not always be nice or good, but I’d rather have than sense of adventure than remaining in the comfort zone forever.

Despite being fans of Transformers, I have to acknowledge that some just don’t like transformation.

And it’s sad that moving forward, such a narrow mindset will likely deprive me and some others of ever seeing groundbreaking Transformer designs like Demolishor or Rampage ever again.

Because hey, after seeing the same things for 30+ years, let’s have more of the same. As change is bad and only the original is good. If it doesn’t adhere to the original, then the world falls apart.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 2:54 AM
  18. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

The reason i mentioned the nipples is exactly the problem about fan raging about a detail, but the entire movie is awfull.
    As you said your self its one of the lesser problems with that movie.
    Same thing with the bayverse and the designs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 5:12 AM
  19. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

They were so idiotic that i liked it, even as a person who is not fond of sexual humor.
    Probably because the movie is so bad that the balls or the entire fuzz about them make it even more crazy :) 

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I think we're missing an important aspect here. What we want as fans when it comes to design is immaterial to reality. I keep stressing this because I don't think it's clear enough. The designs are changing and the movie is supposed to be a soft reboot because the original formula isn't working anymore. Age of Extinction and The Last Knight represented a severe downward slide for the movie that Paramount is trying to arrest. TLK was a disaster that not even China and international markets could save it. The **FACT** of the matter is that no studio in their right mind, even ones as stupid as Paramount, are going to try a third time on a formula when they have been losses two in a row.

The change to designs, the change of director, the deeper involvement in Hasbro, are all done to arrest the downward trend and hope to get it going upwards again. Selling to nostalgia is safe. Hasbro knows G1 is still hot and the change to it is a way to try to get people who would normally not care or watch the movies to actually do it this time in the hopes of seeing more of a G1 centric story and design ethos. That's all this is. It isn't G1 fans trying to beat their passion over your heads, it's not a conspiracy to turn everything G1. You can bet that if TLK actually succeeded at the box office then we wouldn't even be here talking about this.

While I'm not much of a Mortal Kombat player, anyone who played Street Fighter for any length of time knew that Ken and Ryu were quite distinct after Turbo. Ryu was the more balanced fighter who focused on fighting game fundamentals(Footsies, B&B, execution, game sense), while Ken was a better rush down character. Ken also had faster and stronger Shoryukens and Tatsus, while he had weaker fireballs. Their grabs and idle stances were also very different from each other. Also I don't think anyone actually confused Ken and Ryu. It's literally a Ratchet and Ironhide thing. One is red and blonde, the other is white and black haired. This isn't a Boxer/Claw/Dictator situation.

Because a HOBBY means a lot of different things to different people. When people engage in a hobby they derive value from different aspects of it. For me, it's G1, G2, and Movies. Anything else outside of that I'm simply not interested in. It isn't even being narrow minded. It's simply a reality. I can't afford to buy everything and still do other things I want to do, so I pick and choose the only things I like and interested in.

As selfish as it sounds, the point of a hobby is to first serve yourself. If **YOU** don't get personal enjoyment of a hobby then...why are you doing it? If collecting Transformers didn't make me happy and give me enjoyment then I wouldn't be doing it. I don't collect for other people, I don't collect to make others happy, and I don't care what others think of my choices in this hobby and how I choose to collect. I'm not in this game to push the brand forward. That's YOUR job, not mine. My job is just to get the "perfect" G1 collection I never had. It's a conscious choice made to suit my own needs and criteria of what makes me happy. Personally I find i aggravating when fans suggest that EVERYONE needs to be the EXACT SAME.

• Like Like x 3