Why do people want the transformers to look like their g1 counterparts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Oct 10, 2018.

?

Should the characters be a cross between realism and cartoon?

1. I never cared what they look like.

8.2%
  2. Absolutely.

42.3%
  3. I don't care what they look like; only if they act like the characters.

16.5%
  4. No way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I want them to be completely g1.

17.5%
  6. I want them to be completely realistic.

15.5%
  1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

When transformers was rebooted in 2007, one complaint was the designs of the transformers. People wanted them to look like their g1 selves. Yeah while some characters share traits with their g1 characters, others do not. I think the main corporate is any one that isn't Optimus or Jazz; Maybe Megatron.
    Now do I want the transformers to look like their g1 counterparts? Yes and no. Yes because if your name is "Starscream" I expect you to look like the red and blue traitor from the orignal cartoon. No because I don't want the characters g1 designs going around a modern day city.
    The bumblebee movie is doing a great job with recapturing the characters. Soundwave looks like soundwave! Shockwave looks like shockwave! It's like the movie we asked for 11 years ago!
    Do I hate the bayverse designs? Again yes and no. As I listed above if you share the name with the character; I expect you to be the character. Most of the bayverse characters share no traits with their original characters. Expically Wheeljack. But the bayverse designs look really cool! But it's sad to see a design like sideswipe go to waste. I don't care what their vichele is; just make them look like the characters they share the name with! Only a handful act like their g1 selves.
    I have a solution how about if the characters were a clash between cartoon and realistic? I think this would work perfectly for many reasons! The characters would look like themselves and won't feel wired in a real environment! I wanna see a movie Sideswipe that's red and looks like sideswipe! He does not have to be a Lamborghini! Also Wheeljack, The Combaticons, especially a character like Astrotrain!

• Like Like x 1
  2. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I wanted Optimus Prime to look like his Armada self.
    unnamed.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say act like your counterpart more than looking like them.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Switch313

Switch313 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think it probably has to do with what people identify with. You grew up with the 80s show (whether by proxy or directly) you probably prefer/favor the G1 versions. You grew up with the live action films, you probably don't understand the obsession with G1 some have and prefer realistic versions.

I didn't hate the Bayverse designs, in fact I actually liked a lot of them (and love/own SS figures) - but I liked them for what they were - that realistic iteration of Transformers.

I am really digging the way they look in the Bumblebee movie, the cross between both.

Love the Siege toys, as they seem to be ripped from the Cybertron scenes of the movie.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Why do people want Batman to look like Batman? Or Spider-Man like Spider-Man, or Hulk like Hulk? Just like they want Batman to behave like Batman and Spider-Man like Spider-Man and Hulk like Hulk. These characters, just like many others have had many iterations, redesigns and different approaches. But they're always unmistakably themselves one way or another. That's what people want. That's what characters are. That's to be expected.

• Like Like x 20
  6. electronic456

News Credits:
    Good question
    [​IMG]
    And what exactly would I do with Batman? Make him brutal or make him kind? That's up to you.

How exactly should Spider-Man be? Like how he was interpreted in the Spider-Man PS4 game or channeling more of his Miles Morales persona in the MCU? I think the former is better.

What would I do with Hulk? Make him an untamed monster before softening him up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mattyou78

mattyou78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's so much looking exactly like G1 but rather resembling their classic appearance that generally underlie every version. Most versions of Optimus, Starscream or Soundwave, for example, are easily recognisable due to certain design cues. There are exceptions, like Megatron, but really this is what the 'evergreen' designs are about; they're not 100% G1 but certainly are 'classic'.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

For me the BB'18 movie designs are (for the most part) what I wanted, a very clear G1 influence but with detail added to make them more plausible as living machines. Very pleased with Optimus,Bee,Shockwave,Soundwave,Seekers, and Dropkick. I would like to see Bumblebee get a more humanoid face with a mouth though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Exactly that was my biggest complaint woth TLK Hot rod

• Like Like x 3
  10. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

I chose my words carefully so that you wouldn't respond exactly like this and still you couldn't resist completely missing the point. The answer to everything you ask here was already in the original post. Stop doing that.

• Like Like x 6
  11. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

For me I think it has to be a measure of both. I need them to have a visual apperance that matches the G1 look (colors, blocky, etc) and the personality needs to match in some way. The sizing matters too for me. BB as a scout would need to be something small, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker need to look identical in their alt mode as they are twins but color wise need to be different. I know I'm picky. Hulk needs to be big and Green, Batman should wear black and be a detective and have the ears, Superman needs blue and the cape and the personalities need to be there. If you don't have this, I will reject the characters as bad fan fiction.

• Like Like x 2
  12. electronic456

News Credits:
    I know what the point is which is why I said "Act like your counterparts before looking like them."

That's why I like Soundwave from TFP even if he's just grey.

Blitzwing may look like Starscream, but he doesn't look as if he's acting like Starscream by going all brute force on Bumblebee and also by the way he speaks.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Transformers is literally the only franchise where character designs looking exactly like the originals is openly detested by people who simultaneously claim to be fans of the franchise because they want absolutely nothing to do with the original designs.

• Like Like x 17
  14. electronic456

News Credits:
    That's actually funny and interesting at the same time... I'm not saying don't have any design traits from the previous iteration at all. The spark/core/character of the character is far more crucial IMHO. And sometimes old design traits may look... Dated.

Electro may look this, but will this look really exciting in live action?
    [​IMG]

Vulture may look like this but can this work out properly in live action without looking too stupid? Maybe? Why didn't Homecoming go with it?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

If it's not G1, IT'S CRAP!

16. TheWarPathGuy

In other words

RUINED FOREVER!

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheWarPathGuy

You were saying? Shrek_(character).png

• Like Like x 2
  18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

It's a green and yellow suit with a lightning theme. A more modernized take to make it a bit more streamlined (and the headpiece looking less ridiculous), but you could keep it very close to the source look in live action. It isn't like Jamie Foxx exactly was any better looking as Electro (though his performance was really damn good) - he was an electric-Dr. Manhattan wearing a fancy black suit...after being an electric-Dr. Manhattan in a black hoodie.

Like, take Captain America, who is very similar in being a guy in blue spandex with an American theme, the letter 'A' plastered on his forehead, and silly little cherub wings. The design starts out as purely a vaudeville costume intended to illustrate how silly looking it is - when Cap actually goes into combat for the first time, he's wearing a thick jacket over the suit and changed the ski-mask out for an army helmet...which is still blue and has the "A" on it, so even though it doesn't look like the traditional Captain America, but all the elements are there. And then his suits after that are basically 'armored suit' versions that look like the ol' spandex but actually look more combat ready for the live action scene.
    [​IMG]

Probably because that's what Falcon already has been doing more or less since The Winter Soldier and they didn't want to just copy that?

[​IMG]

Additionally, they retained what little traits Vulture originally had - Toomes is bald, he's got the 'plume' around the neck, he's primarily green, and he's got a big-ass wingspan with 'finger' feathers splayed at the end of the wings. Plus, while I haven't actually seen homecoming myself yet, that version of the suit looks more like something that could be built by an inventor within the realm of the Marvel universe, with a hard style change to secondhand military pilot gear and mechanical design instead of the flight and super strength granting (for no explicit reason as to why) harness the original had.

Of course, the Vulture is also a terrible choice to use as an example because he's so simplistic. Specifically, he's Spiderman's first supervillain enemy that leads him to getting a job selling photos to J. Jonah Jameson. That was back in 1963 when designs were more simplified so the comics could be produced more efficiently (not to mention the majority of Spidey's biggest villains from that period all happen to be simplistic designs themed after animals, I.E. The Lizard is literally a giant green lizard in a lab coat, Rhino is a dude in a gray spandex bodysuit that looks like it came from a mascot storage facility, Doc Ock wears a solid green outfit, etc.).

None of that has anything to do with why the Transformers can't work by simply visually improving the old G1 designs, since the simple block designs actually can be greatly changed without actually losing the general feel or profile. Just adjust/add/remove a few parts all around, shove in a lot more detail in formerly flat face surfaces, and add some shades of the main color pallete in places and you get a much more in depth looking robot without sacrificing the overall look.

Additionally, simplicity in mere appearance can be deceiving. Otherwise, try transforming ROTF Mixmaster...then transform Energon Mirage/Dreadwing and tell me which one is far more complicated. Hint: It's not Mixmaster.

• Like Like x 9
  19. electronic456

News Credits:
    Too much text, I'll do my best.

Think this would pass as Electro then?
    [​IMG]

I understand Cap's alright. The progression of his suits is pretty much character development to how he starts till what he is now. Which is why I liked it in addition to the production value they have.

Be glad it isn't like this.
    [​IMG]

Thing is, Transformers also has things that look the same in one way or another. Cliffjumper/Bumblebee; Ironhide/Ratchet; Prowl/Bluestreak or the Seekers in general. So Falcon and Vulture being similar shouldn't come across as that big of a deal.

Also Vulture's suit comes from the aliens that invaded Earth in The Avengers which explains how he even got it and tie into the MCU. It wasn't using Earth's resources like originally. Spider-Man's villains generally come from a background where they got their stuff through being really really resourceful with what they have.

If that's the case then why the changes to Shocker and Scorpion also?

Shocker for example... (I know supposedly there were deleted scenes showing him in the suit)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also Scorpion (Mac Gargan) changed a lot. He went from J Jonah's private investigator to just being a criminal. I like the idea of him being an counteract to Spider-Man before he went crazy with his powers.

I never hated the blocky look but seeing how the 2007 film introduced the robots and looking back at G1 really changes a lot about what I expect.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Maybe I missed a point somewhere, but these examples are not really relevant as a lot of the Transformers characters had very good designs in G1 that were far superior to the bayverse reimaginings. Starscream and Devastator spring to mind.

• Like Like x 7