Why do people think TF Prime sucked?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SureShotSniper, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Not to mention the Red Lotus were basically Heralds of Vaatu as it is, further tying him into the show's mythology and backstory.

Unicron's sudden arrival in the show felt like "Oh, normal episode, normal episode, OH CRAP time for the finale make it epic and an apocalypse!" The One Shall Rise arc was pretty good despite this until the end of Part III, where it just ended in a Care Bear blast. Part I had the big reveal and a cool exchange between Unicron and Optimus, Part II had the Megs Vs Golems fight and all the drama from a temporary alliance with Megs and bringing him to the base. Part III had Optimus and Megs fighting together and Soundwave kicking AirachiMarySue's ass. Then the ending ruined it.

2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Weeeell I'll say the ending opened some great possibilities. So it woulda/coulda/shoulda had/ve some merit... they just goofed big time.

3. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:

:lolol  :wtf:  :hijacked: 

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:

Am I missing something here? What's the joke?

[​IMG]

5. aimop95

aimop95 Aimoperative

People didn't like their background characters getting killed
    breakdown

also I've never heard of a show that pleased everyone.

I loved it and I'm glad you loved it too. I thought Starscream was a hoot and frankly, if he had been made a badass serious con, Miko would have had to pick up the comedy slack...and that would have added more fuel to the critic's fire.

6. Banter Bro

Banter Bro Banned

Great argument, mate!

SMH -_-

7. Skyscream

Skyscream Member

i haven't finished reading this thread, buuut..

Prime is my favourite, mostly because it's the first TF ... ANYTHING i consumed. i had absolutely zero expectations for what it was like, and i loved it. but at the same time as i'm watching other series, i can see where it falls short. especially season 3 (though i love the animation for S3... you win some, you lose some)

for me, it was a fun ride and has some absolute gems like Knockout's entire existence and basically everything Starscream ever did, but it does fall apart when you're not immediately watching it. it holds a special place in my heart, for sure, and it was good enough to get me hooked on the franchise. maybe it's a disappointment for longterm fans, but isn't that bad of an introduction to the series for newer fans, i think? that's my two cents, though.

8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Because it tried to be dark and gritty but it followed all the usual formulae of tf fiction : non of the popular characters die, irritating kids, vehicons are downed with a single shot etc...
    All of wich made it the opposite of what it intended to be and makes it's ambitions look arrogant.

9. SonicGX98

SonicGX98 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Same. I just watched Prime for the first time last year, and since it was my reintroduction to Transformers since seeing the first Transformers movie back in 2007, I thought it was great for those reasons too! (Though Smokescreen was awesome too IMO)

10. inn

inn Member

I don't think it completely sucked even though when the whole beast hunters thing happened I started to go off it slightly. I just felt kind of let down cause I loved the idea of having a darker show but so many great ideas were wasted especially MECH like they started off awesome an then they were ruined. I also feel the Orion pax ark had SO much potential for optimus prime getting some development but did he learn or change from his experience nope sigh

11. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    He can't remember

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    They killed Adam Baldwin and the Rock, how is this a good show.

I just realized this thread got resurrected from two years ago. I was such a shithead back then.

13. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Don't know

14. Quicken2k

Quicken2k Well-Known Member

I liked Prime a hell of a lot better then RID. I only watch RID to see if they will bring Prime into it some how, as it is a sequel to it. I do understand that Prime merchandise didn't sell as well, they felt it may have been to violent for kids. Maybe Hasbro got complaints about it.

15. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

Other than the children and Jacks mother I had no problem with the show. I loved it

16. acket

acket Well-Known Member

There was a lot about Prime that I enjoyed, the animation and voice acting were second to none, imo, and I was invested in several of the characters.

My opinions and major complaints with Prime involve
    -the repetition of plots / over-reliance on object hunting (which I won't belabor, since some people already touched on it more eloquently than me)
    -the morality, which I felt was incredibly off in a lot of ways, not least of which the ending of Predacons Rising in contrast to the ending of Deadlock. I'm not interested in stories about heroes who are beyond criticism or villains who are arbitrarily beyond redemption (or equally arbitrarily redeemed). It has to feel like a logical outgrowth of character experience, and I feel morality involves what is being done and for what reason, not who is doing a thing and whether or not they are an approved individual. Even among the Autobots there was little consistency in behavior and the judgment of that behavior.
    -the show's inability or lack of desire to move beyond status quo in terms of characterization. I can forgive sudden death if an actor has to leave or for some other real world reason, but several arcs were concluded in awkward haste or abandoned completely, and reset themselves for no reason. Bulkhead's critical illness and miracle recovery meant that by the time Smokescreen "died" I no longer cared and knew it was fake.

Oddly I've seen a lot of people saying Robots in Disguise is no worthy successor to Prime and citing that it's not as adult, but the writers and showrunners are almost all the same people, and I think the episodic nature of RID works better than Prime continually going back on consequences.

I wonder if some fans who don't have anything bad to say about Prime watched the show when it first came out years ago, enjoyed it, and don't remember the specifics of it when they encounter complaints. I rewatch it frequently with friends.

17. inn

inn Member

I agree with this I did really enjoy the show when it was out . I remember just waiting for the next episode to come online till early hours of the morning lol. It was the first transformers show I really got into because it was aimed at someone more my age which I loved.

18. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Zombie thread, eh? Meh, might as well throw in my :2c: . Everyone else is. So here's an outline of why I think Transformers Prime sucked.

The characters were inconsistent. Characters would jump from being smart to dumb, serious to comic relief, main character to background character, super powerful to medium powerful, etc.

The use of the Vehicons resulted in onesided and boring fights scenes where the 'Bots would effortlessly win. Not to mention, usually only one or two named 'Cons would accompany them each episode, resulting many 'Cons going several episodes without appearances, as they just weren't needed.

The Decepticons as a whole are at their worst in this show. They're always getting killed off and never achieve anything.

The show had no story, which is likely why the 'Cons never did anything, because that would cause actual plot progression.

There was little variety in the stories used in each episodic installment. It was always either a scavenger hunt, revenge plot, or a Bulkhead death scare.

The Autobots were bland. They had little to no depth to them. They often didn't even seem to like each other.

The show tried too hard to be serious. The show always had a dark atmosphere and characters complaining about how terrible the war is. Yet, with no story and a repetitive nature, it was impossible to take seriously. Not to mention how much death was in the show. However, since it only happened to villains, it didn't raise the stakes, it just lowered them, as the heroes never died, yet the villains dropped like flies.

There was far too much fan service. By the end of the show, it felt like they were trying to remake G1.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Slingshot

Slingshot Headmaster

News Credits:
    The Mods haven't locked this thread yet, so I'll go ahead and give my opinion.
    Terrible Characters: Megatron, Arcee, Bulkhead, Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, Starscream in BH, Shockwave. All being the worst interpretations of their characters.
    Terrible Plot: No causality, no consequences for any actions.

The music and the tone of the series weren't dark at all, and no one can justify Kline's comments about the show being dark. ANIMATED WAS DARKER THAN THIS SERIES. Cliffjumper died in the first 5 minutes, which only came off as dramatic. The music was worse than RID2015, and that says a lot since I cannot stand the latter's soundtrack. Megatron was a joke, and had no clear motives. He always wanted some sort of unneeded (and shoehorned) macguffin. Then, the writers of the series tried to connect everything with the war with Earth, which was one of the worse ideas of all time. Optimus Prime had no personality. The only thing he ever did was perform over-dramatic (and really bad) speeches. In G1 he was serious and was actually a character (For example, "Shut up, Ironhide").
    The Decepticons could never kill anyone. The Vehicons were the ultimate red-shirt. How can this show be dark? That's like claiming the original Muppet Show was a children's show with no innuendo. I can assure fans of Prime, if you think Prime is dark, you've not seen anything.
    I'd like to see all the Transformers Prime fans who say they like dark shows, and let them watch a Transformers show that seemed like it belonged in Berserk.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, I know the feeling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.