Why do people think TF Prime sucked?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SureShotSniper, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SureShotSniper

SureShotSniper What?!

News Credits:
    I bought the blu ray season and movie, and I'm working on season 2 right now... and I'm just as thrilled with it as I was the first time I watched it. My wife was sitting in the room eating a snack and watched some of it... and stated "this is all I need is to get sucked into another show". So she even thought the story was good.

I just don't understand where people are getting that they hate prime or think the story was bad. The story as a whole is awesome IMO (aside from a few annoyances).

The only thing I can think of is it's the TF Animated lovers just being jealous that a TF show had a somewhat complete series. :D 

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Like anything opinion-based, it's a person-by-person sort of thing. Some certainly outright hated it for pretty much no reason, while others genuinly didn't enjoy it, and pretty much everything between those two.

While I don't think there are a lot of them, there are certainly some who hated on it simply because they mistakenly saw it as the reason Animated never got a proper ending.

3. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I think people just got sick of the Armada style "Relic Hunts" as well as the numerous plot contrivance's with so many Cybertronian artifacts/bones, being undiscovered by humans.

Mech's subplot being cut short, and being transplanted into the next Movie... Didn't that also happen to GI Joe?

The start of Prime was Good with a few Relics, then Unicron woke up, then Iacon Relic Hunts started, then Beast Hunters.

My Opinion, the scope and cast was too small.

4. Cro

Cro Well-Known Member

You'll probably hear a lot about season three being short and rushed - which it was, though part of that is due to last-minute forced plotline changes.

Someone will bring up the relic hunts and the fossil hunts. That'll be half fair; for season two it was an interesting gimmick and a good lead-up to the discovery about Smokescreen, but in season three it was a kind of rehash of what came before.

You'll get someone talking about how the designs/voices are terrible and unforgivable because Starscream has high-heel foot structure or Shockwave isn't Corey Burton or Soundwave is slender and somewhat monstrous looking instead of a giant tape deck, though perfect stasis is doom to creativity and growth.

Someone else will talk about the numerous references to other continuities and the quotes pulled from the past which were overused in the same breath that someone somewhere else will insist that those things were clever and made them feel connected to the past and as if the writers really knew their history.

Mute Bumblebee will be a strong runner; many people were tired of it after three live action movies and many more felt it made him a secondhand interaction in Prime, as it forces others to translate for him the way Team Rocket's Meowth does in Pokemon.

Someone will talk about how it should have gone the full range of dark and gritty and not tried to cater to young ones in the least, and someone else will say that they thought it tried too hard to be dark and gritty and should have been more like G1, Beast Wars, or Animated.

Someone will make unrelated complaints about how TFA was better and should have gotten a fourth season.

Other predicted probabilities include but are not limited to:

--Starscream becoming a joke character when, if looked at properly, it was an exercise in exploration of his insecurity and how that affected his actions.
    --Lack of noses.
    --Autobots making questionably grey decisions.
    --Human children, Fowler, and June having anything to do as main characters connected to the storyline.
    --Arcee in general, be it because she's blue and not pink, a bike and not a car, female and there at all or female and without enough like her, etc.
    --A small cast of characters compared to the constant revolving door of G1, though barely smaller than the Beast Wars cast / lack of X favorite character.
    --Character inconsistencies, which are fairly labeled from time to time.
    --James Roberts didn't write it/fans of the series wrote it.
    --More death please/too much death thank you.

As I recall, those are the basics commonly mentioned.

5. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Because when something isn't perfect or isn't exactly what they want people have to complain and whine about it. And instead of just maybe not watching it or moving on to something else they DO like they feel entitled to bitch and cry about it. And not even a little. But over and over and over.

Whenever I see people bitching about this or that about Prime like how it sucked this and was badly written that and how it was lame this and not thought out that, I sit here and wonder what exactly did these people want? Shakespear? Oh they used mc-gruffins and the used a lot of tropes. Omfg...

It just baffles me. There is a difference between not liking something and having an opinion and personal preference. That's fine. But then why watch it over and over only to keep bitching over and over again and again. If it's not for you it's not for you. Simple.

I asked someone that once. Why if it was never good for them and why if they kept bitching so much why they kept watching it. Their reply was something like, "Cause I keep hoping it will get better". Well you know what? If you disliked it that much because SO much was wrong with it, chances are it's not going to change for you. So yeah...

I don't really know why so many people whine and cry about it. It just seems to me those people that really bash it hard are the people who wanted way to much out of it. Or expected way to much. Or are people that are hard to please in life.

But don't worry about it. As long as you are enjoying it that is what matters.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I don't think it sucked at all but I agree that it felt rushed, incomplete and totally random at times.

I didn't mind the relic hunts in season 2 but the Beast Hunters deal in season three totally came out of left field and IMO didn't really feel like it worked with the first two seasons. However THANK GOD the toy designs weren't used for the show. That would have made it even more jarring.

All in all Prime is (IMO of course) the best TF cartoon since Beast Machines. I just wish the rough spots could have been ironed out, and more plot points expanded on.

7. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Boring with annoying characters.

8. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

It feels like a bunch of wasted potential at times, specially season two.
    But i still love it.

9. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    "People don't like what I like- they are envious liars".

How often do other people tell you that you should have stopped thinking aloud?
    I suppose, these numbers are the answer.

Your thread might have been a try to bolster some "hate" for the show, but as I can confirm, you just gained some disgust on your own account.

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    - Wasted potential, plot threads cut short or left unresolved (
    case in point: Breakdown
    )
    - A poor attempt at being "dark", "edgy", "epic"
    - Pointless relic hunting
    - General lack of a overarching plot (Megatron doesn't really have a goal)
    - Characters being unlikable/boring

- Dealing with aggressively vehement defenders of the show. I know that's not really related to Prime itself, but my Ignore List must've double in size from all the people whose only response to a well-thought-out critique of the show was "durr hurr BUTHURT!"

Obviously, this is all subjective. Do NOT let others hating the show affect your opinion.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    It started great and thus made great expectations that the show could ultimately not meet. But there were of course great episodes that I enjoyed. But overall... I expected much more from it. As if the writers did not have much imagination.

12. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Oh god. "you didn't like Prime lol you're jealous because animated is done". Fuck this. Why do people assume that if someone doesn't like what they like, they're just hopping onto a band wagon or they have a really petty reason for disliking it?

You want to know why people don't like it? Go watch TMNT or Avatar or GI Joe Renegades. Notice the lively characters, how each character has a goal, how each character has their own history and problems, how each character grows as a person. How the villain has a plan that the heroes have to figure out. Notice how those shows have multiple factions with their own goals and how those factions' individual members just glow with personality and have their own identities. Each show has rich, fleshed out continuity that also is relevant to the plot. Then go back and watch Prime.

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I thought it was pretty dull when it came to the writing, and horrid when it came to character development. I went at length quite a bit over the last year and I really don't wanna do it again so I'll keep it short.

--Characters were very hit and miss when it came to character development. Some characters got development like Knock Out and Megatron, others like Arcee never went anywhere with their "lost partner" angle and PTSD. Bulkhead never really felt the sting of nearly dying from the Synth-En thing.

--There was a heavy use of Deus Ex Machina that just turned any potentially interesting conflict into boring conflict resolution, thus defusing any kind of enjoyment one could watch from heroes overcoming adversity.

--The writing was as generic as you can get so it could cater to kids. I said it before and I'll stand by it again. GI Joe Renegades was light years better than Prime, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is also considerably better. Those two shows don't make me feel like an idiot when I'm watching them. Prime on the other hand did. Combined with the lack of satisfying conflict and character development, the overall writing didn't do it any favors.

I stopped watching it a few episodes into season 2. Season 1 was such a huge turn-off and what I watched of season 2 showed it wasn't any better, so I just gave up and moved onto better shows. I heard the "Relic Hunt" arc was pretty dull and boring so I'm glad I skipped out.

14. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    - Wasting characters
    - Boring and pointless relic hunts
    - Overpowered Autobots
    - An incompetent Megatron
    - Boring as hell Autobots
    - Self-parody Shockwave
    - Pointless dragon bull shoved in

Shall I go on?

15. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Hollo!

Because TF fandom.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    Because of tons of reasons widely discussed in this very forum.

It wouldn't have taken you a long time to find one of a million threads in which people give detailed explanations on their opinions, why and how they thought this show needed improvement. You can disagree with those opinions, of course, but there's no need to start another topic and brush over those explanations with a simple 'what were they again?'.

Also no need to jab at Animated or say the reason is jealousy. That has nothing to do with it, and just because this series is different from the one before it, doesn't mean people won't accept it with open arms if it's good. I really enjoyed Transformer's Prime's first five-parter and some stuff at the end of Season 2 / 3 - I don't dislike or outright hate stuff just because it's different.

Amazing argument!

17. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I loved Prime. I might even like it more than Beast Wars as my all time favorite Transformers series. I don't mind though if other people didn't like it. I wasn't the biggest fan of Animated.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because it did.

Search any given thread and you'll find an endless torrent of sound arguements against, not the least of which revolving around the show's general lack of focus, evolution, consistency, or life in it's universe. Prime feels hollow. When you scrape away the flashy visuals and pretentious, monotonous dialogue, you'll find there's really othing there. No rich lore, no unique and interesting concepts. What little it creates it fumbles in execution.

And yet Animated had less dangling plot threads and better series resolution. :D 

Me too.

I was HOOKED on Prime when it started. It had me in the bag. I was loving the characters, story, everything. I couldn't wait to see where it would go.

Problem is, it didn't go. Anywhere. It meandered through unrelated filler, hydrogenized and repetative subplots, fetchquests, and just general lack of any want to try something new.

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It's a Frankenstein of things and concepts that the writers tough the fans like but without a soul.

20. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Because people on here cant get their heads out of their 1984 asses. TF Prime did circles around G1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.