Customs: Why do people pay so much for customs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ra88, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Hrmn, you do have a point there. Still though, it's the thought behind it that defines what is art and what isn't for me. Agree to disagree, perhaps?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    perhaps I should have rethought that original response in layman's terms. If it is $3000 (because the name dictated the price) then yes, it's more impressive to most people. There's a reason behind every price tag.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    And we have come full circle right back to the beginning. We'll just have to disagree.

I find it disgusting that people would place price paid over any other aspect of an object. Maybe it's true for the majority, maybe it isn't - I guess I just don't want to believe the majority of people would have ideals like that.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. DanHibiki

DanHibiki Dan Couga Mellencamp

Damien Hirst has a response for everyone "But you didn't, did you?" Anyone who thinks it isn't art is being subjective. Art is objective. If I saw a garbage can littered with trash but was able to photograph it or paint it from an angle that was not expected, it would no longer be a trash can but a composition that has the potential to evoke emotion or thought from certain viewers.

The same could be said of customs, kitbashes and the like. The price tag comes from what people have been willing to pay and the evolution of the artist. Just to use an example, F_R has garnered some high prices and if he can continue to produce without oversaturating the market, I foresee his prices staying relative level or possibly increasing as he evolves as an artist. If he produces everyday kits and add-ons, I wouldn't see those grabbing high prices.

As an aside, it is an injustice to compare F_R to Hirst. Hirst as an artist is operating on the basis of increasing the width of his wallet. F_R is still doing this because he like it :) 

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    quality makes the name, name makes the price.

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ..whatever. That doesn't quite quell the disdain I have for people that value cost over all else.

7. Whalemusic360

Whalemusic360 Well-Known Member

The reason I have bought customs is because I just think they are better. I've tried making my own customs, and I kinda suck at it (havn't finished one that i think was good enough to even post on radicons yet). For instance I can spend money getting an airbrush, paintbrushes, paint, tape, really small screwdrivers, sandpaper, and the figure itself, not to mention the time in preping, painting, cleaning up and all the other stuff required or i could just buy one that is WAY better then I can do anyways.
    Granted, I haven't spend thousands for a $45 figure, but I have spent multiple times the cost of the figure on one.

8. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol 

9. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of people would rather pay more for a "name" product because, in the end, they know what they're getting.

Like the example earlier between a no-name band and Metallica. Sure, the Metallica tickets will cost 10x as much, but you know what you're getting with Metallica. The other band, you've never heard of. In the end, you'd rather pay $150 and get your money's worth as opposed to possibly throwing $15 away for absolutely nothing.

Or take tennis shoes for another example. Me personally, I've always loved Nike brand and they're usually one of the most expensive brands. But, that's all I've ever worn and I love them. If somebody came out with a new brand called "Cheapo" and it's half the price, I'd probably still get the Nike sneakers because at least I know that I'm getting something that I'll enjoy.

With the customs, a person's body of work builds the price as much as that particular item itself. If you look at a custom by Jin Saotome, F_R, Sabsabby, Encline, etc. then you know it's going to be a top-quality item. If you see a custom that looks just as good, is half the price but was made by some random Joe Schmoe, then you'll have some reservations. Sure it looks nice, but what's the paint quality like, will it chip, what about primer, etc.

So in the end, you may spend more to get one of the more expensive customs because you know the type of quality involved.

Point being, for the most part, people would rather pay more for a "sure thing" as opposed to taking a chance on something that may be good, but may also be a POS as well.

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ugh...

This thread is going in circles and is just silly.

Bottom line:

Customers determine the value of ones product. This is especially true in an auction type setting where they directly choose there maximum price.

All the statements of art and analogies are null really. If you dont want to pay x for y, someone else might. Simple as that.

Brand recognition is always a factor and I think Payton34 above states it pretty well. People will be more inclined to pay a higher amount for something they know will be high quality given the artist track record.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks MAX for a custom made by someone new to customizing and I know even that's a bit high. But there are a few(very few) customizers that I would gladly pay grand for one of their pices as I know when I get it in my hand I will not be disappointed.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm finding a rather hilarious disconnect between "people will buy it entirely because it is $3000" and "all these things are sold on ebay with open bidding". :lol 

12. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Vangelus, I think you just nullified this thread.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    for a lot of us, ebay defines the commission price though. so, nope.

14. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    my opinion is a question to you:

why does a dog lick his balls? cause he coukd do it!

it's the same with customs, somebody want them, they pay for that. thats all.

every price isrigh, when the bidder is happy!

15. luke4

luke4 crocon

if i want to pay 4 thousand dollars for a pile of dog crap that i could easy get my dog to shit itsself because i think the dog shitting it has eaten a better brand of dog food then my dog who cares. same goes for if i want to pay $1000 for a custom by frenzyrumble vs $50 by some one else. i know that frenzyrumble does a good job and would pay more for his product.

16. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    If someone can't understand the prices of customs on eBay then logically I would say that theirs did'nt sell for near as much, or at all.
    Sorry I don't have time to read this whole thread, got much better things to do :) 
    Who has the time to try to disprove values on an open market ? ...best of luck to those that do.

17. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Dude! Where have you been, you need to post more often.

18. daelite20

daelite20 autobots

News Credits:
    DUDE, If you did it yourself it wouldnt be as great as the one my 9 year old is doing with his crayons..

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm sorry, do I know you? Or better yet, do you know me or what I'm capable of? I think not.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

it's art through my eyes and all of us here, but does it convey emotions, feelings through the eyes of others who don't understand our community? can they relate? answer: the thread starter's friend. she's struggling to understand.

we're a subculture.

our tastes differ from others. art is defined by aesthethic judement, subjective and universality. subjective: taste of feeling pleasure and displeasure. universality: demand or require agreement from others. it fails on both accounts.

this feels like that video games is an art discussion back in day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.