Customs: Why do people pay so much for customs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ra88, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Someone I know asked me to post this here, since she's not a TFW member.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Whoever wanted you to post clearly seems to have a misconception about the customs they are looking at. Simply repainted and modded toys? Good grief, has she not seen F_R's "Autobot X", THE true Frankenstien's Monster of Radicons and TF's alike? Or how about the fact that these customs are usually one of a kind, and so have had mind-numbing amounts of work put into them, like the totally scratch-built Animated Omega Supreme? Last I checked, Hasbro never even BOTHERED to do most of the things that the Radicons are churning out.

Also, about the high quality of "expensive exclusives that are cheaper"? I know more than quite a few Botcon Kup's have had production issues with their limb joints, while hardly ANY of the customs that are the subject of this discussion have those issues.

3. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Well I have a few things. One, this "person" should join and post themselves if they are in dire need of such an answer, but I digress.

Here's my thoughts. I made a Ms Devastator for my wife as my first custom (Redline, I still haven't done a gallery, but it's my wife's fault because she won't bring it home from work :)  ) and some of the comments were centered around it looking like a Lucky Draw. Well if you think about it, it's very exclusive because there is only one of them in that exact paint scheme, therefore making it exclusive, limited to 1.

The other point is perceived value. eBay is a perfect example of what perceived value can do to the price of a particular product.

Recent case in point: Cybertron Thunderblast was a shelfwarming, readily available deluxe that sold for 10.00. You can't by a used one for less than 40.00 now because for some reason (I believe it has something to do with botcon elita one) she is in demand. Because demand now exceeds supply, you have the simple rules of economics 101 at play.

Now some of the Radicons like F_R, Autobotx23, Encline, SabrinaNG, and other Radicons and look at their pieces. It's not just some new paint thrown onto a crappy plastic figure, rather they are finely crafted, exceptionally thought out and extremely detailed WORKS OF ART. Art by it's nature has a relevant price point that is synchronous to the buyer. If someone want's a rare Andy Warhol or Norman Rockwell and there's only one of them, well you can bet that it will go for millions. Radicons artwork is no different save for the fact that the medium doesn't have as much exposure as say a Warhol or Rockwell. It does however have some people who have plenty of money to spend on one of a kind, exclusive TF's that meet some need of them as a collector.

Looking at SabrinaNG and F_R's recent eBay auctions including one collaboration and it's not hard to figure out that both of them have a niche market of collectors who are willing to pay top dollar for high quality work. Do I believe that F_R is in it for the money? Of course, it says so on his page. He does this for a living and not only that, he just hired a new employee. I would say that business is going pretty good if he needs to hire someone. Conversely, I also believe that every Radicon who makes something whether for sale or personal preference, does it because of a love of something to do with the hobby, TF's, painting etc. It fills a need to be expressive and creative in a medium that suits their preferences. It just so happens that some of us (Radicons) are good enough to make some money, be it side or full time, at a hobby that at it's truest roots is still just a hobby.

Hope this helps and with that I'm off of my...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Quite simply, it is art created by artists. All artists are entitled to be paid for their efforts, if someone connects with their art. Quality obviously increases value. DaVinci will certainly command higher prices than an average graffiti artist, name recognition does play a part here as well. I feel it is a dis-service to underpay for a piece of art. It devalues the art as well as the artist. High priced customs I treat like art in the Smithsonian, too much for me to buy, but I can appreciate and admire it!

5. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ask this "person" what one of a kind pieces of art sell for.....

Although I have a feeling this "person" may already be reading these responses.

6. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    There are those collectors who are completists, and when they see a piece that is not in their collection, they would pay a hefty price to own it.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    this thread funny...

I've known people who spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on things that no one else sees. Personal collections and investments are just that...personal. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have another TF fan come over and see a kitbashed 1 of a kind centerpieced amongst a wall of retailed figures.

and tell your friend that the exclusives and retail toys aren't built by the "best of the best" - if they were that great, they wouldn't be working to make someone else money.

not to sound full of myself (but rather to help make the point)... but wouldn't a TF fanatic rather spend a few extra bucks to have the one on the left over the one on the right?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I saw the title of the thread and clicked rapidly to enter and say much.

But I cannot say a word that hasn't already been spoken. This thread's replies = QFT. How's about that.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Let's be honest here - a couple grand isn't exactly "a few extra bucks" when the original cost $44.95.

10. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    reasons:
    1. ultra limited, one-of-a-kind
    2. factory made stuff are outsourced to the lowest bidder using the cheapest materials and effort
    3. better representation of movie/show/anime/cartoon character aka a better model because its closer to the real deal.
    4. bragging rights
    5. artist branding
    6. not limited by toy safety laws
    7. its the in thing now

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    to many of my bidders... it is. I have one guy with a list of commissions. he has a toy collection valued over 2.5 million bucks. he has funny godzilla slippers that cost $65,000

12. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL, I have a pretty good idea what the point behind this thread may be, but I digress.

"Compare that to high end collectables that have the best of the best working on them"

You mention the Sideshow collectibles fetching higher prices in the aftermarket, imagine if there were only one or two in existence instead of a 500-1000 piece run? These are essentially "one of a kind" customs and personally, I prefer to think that we have the "best of the best" right here in Radicons.

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think my point was that to the average TF fanatic (I think most of us could be considered fanatics and average), $2000+ for a repainted toy is a wee bit insane.

I would love to have all my TFs tricked out, but the only way that's going to happen is if I do it myself. If it cost double the retail price for a nice paint job I could probably handle that (a few extra bucks), but thousands of dollars? No thanks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  14. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree to an extent. If it's something that you could buy off a shelf in any store and get somebody to repaint (with varying amounts of quality), that's one thing. But if it's a one-of-a-kind piece like Anemis' Omega Supreme or F_R's Autobot X, that's a bit more understandable because there aren't any others out there.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I see your point for sure. but from an "outsiders" perspective, I think it would be more impressive showing off a toy you paid $3000 than one you did yourself or paid $30 to get customized.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Plus that paint scheme looks FAR more realisitc than the shiny plastic sheen on the basic normal release.

17. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Well this is something that I'm gonna disagree with. I would rather show off the one I did myself, than the one I paid someone else to do if only because it was mine and I made it.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, should have chose my words better looking back...
    the average TF fan (not artist, not kitbasher) I know there's a sense of pride and accomplishment to doing it yourself, but many don't wanna even open that can of worms.

I could technically repaint van gogh's starry night exactly like he did it, but who would that impress besides my parents?

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Of course you would say that as someone who sells customs. If I was able to paint something identical to the typical $3000 custom and put them side by side, would people be more impressed by the workmanship that went into them, or the fact that I paid $3000 for one of them?

I think the average joe would probably think I was a nut for spending that on a toy when I didn't have to.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the fact that you paid $3000 for the toy. by a landslide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.