Why do people misname Movie Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by influence82, Apr 25, 2008.

1. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a question for all of you and if this question has been asked before feel free to merge or edit the thread.
    Basically, the most popular character in the Transformers Movie as we know is Bumblebee. According to the official packaging, there are 2 versions of the alternate mode. The first model is called a called "Classic Camaro mode" and the second model is called "Concept Camaro mode."
    However, very few people use these terms when referring to the toy if ever. They always attach a year like '73 to '78 when referring to the Classic Camaro and 2008 or 2009 when referring to the Concept Camaro.
    Whether or not the year is correct is irrelevant to my question because they are all wrong anyways (that discussion could be saved for another topic). The question I have for members of this website is why do people not use the official names of the vehicle mode for Bumblebee despite the fact that the name is printed on the box and no particular year is labled? My question is why do people add a year to the name when referring the toy and do they pay attention to the name mentioned on the factory packaging? If you always refer to the name of of the toy in terms of the year, why do you do that? Did you know already about the official names and just decided not to use it for some reason? Or did you ever realize the official name of the mode before reading my post?
    I am not here to attack people of demean them in any way. We can all tell the difference in the toy people are referring to whether they use the '70s or 2000's moniker. This topic just about why poeple use those monikers instead of the official version.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    "tftm 77 BB" is quicker to type than classic camaro bumblebee... same thing with "tftm CC BB" or "tftm 2008 BB" quicker than concept camaro bumblebee.

Also I think it started when people were buying test-shots without knowing what the box said...like about 6 months before they were officially released..

3. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

And my question to you is why are you so bothered? The reason people use the years to discribe the models of car Bumblebee inhabbits is becuase they are real cars and those are the models. What it says on the packaging is irrelivent, you know what they mean, I know what they mean so where's the problem?

Yours AK

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This.

Heck, sometimes I just put CC BB or 70's BB. BB saves space from Bumblebee so when typing. It's the same as US, Cnd, TF:TM, TF:A, Ops, Megs, Has/Tak, etc...

It's just something people do, it's not like these people are ignorant, they just write short-forms.

5. alex_kingdom

Plus did anyone notice the original run of Transformers 'classics' didn't have 'classics' written on them anywhere, and yet all you goons refer to them as such! Shame on you all! They were all called quite simply 'Transformers' and should be refered to as such regardless of how confusing it is goddam it! :p 

Yours AK

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, they did. The deluxes had it on one of their corners (said classics deluxe in small print) and the voyagers had it in small print across their tops (said classics voyager).

7. alex_kingdom

Ah yes they did didnt they, but surely that makes the line 'Transformers' and the size classification 'Classics Deluxe' and 'Classics voyager'. Either way it further demostrates my point that what Hasbro or Takara write on boxes is not gospel and so long as the fans know wjat they are taling about it doesnt really matter.

Yours AK

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True enough and a valid point as well.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I just say Classic BB or Concept BB. It doesn't take that long to type it all out anyway.

10. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

That is why I use the model years to describe the Movie versions. Its more specific.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also refer to Silverstreak as Bluestreak, Rodimus and Hot Rod, Alt Meister as Jazz, and will call Classics Tankor Octane. It's just a matter of preference over what it says on the box.

12. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    why do people rename multiple versions of primes they have eh, even thought the boxes say optimus prime, it is because they can and they want to...and it is also quicker to type CC BB than concept camero bumblebee

13. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

If this is all you have to worry about, you lead a truly blessed life. Geez.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Which is also another part of it. CC BB is ambiguous, since it can both be Classic Camero Bumblebee or Concept Camero Bumblebee by "official" standards. By using the year, it removes the ambiguity of CC.

Though, not that I care too much, I don't have either.

15. influence82

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generally, it seems that the abbreviated nomenclature is used largely because it takes less characters to type. In this day of age, we seem to be so busy or distracted that our other forms of communication have a gradual incination to emulate our chatroom etiquette and text messaging.

16. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    Someone call the irony police!

If you're going to critique people on not taking their time to say things correctly, then you aught to heed your own advice. I've edited your above post with some things that you clearly had time to fix on your own, but didn't because you were too busy or distracted to.

My services are free of charge. Thanks for using the irony police services! :thumb 

17. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Sorry, officer, but you're not innocent either!
    :lol 

18. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I'm innocent of doing something ironic while trying to be serious and making myself look like an idiot. That's the whole point of the irony police!
    Also, I'll give you the spelling correction but the grammar at the end is perfectly acceptable.

19. influence82

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I plead guilty as charged.
    Staying on the topic, I was merely making an observation of what could be happening. I am not implying that I know better than other people. If I knew better, I would not start this topic in the first place. I would just like to see why people call the toy by a different name. For some people to take some comment and quotes out of context and instead attack the individual making the comments is distracting and not improving the conversation. I feel like a controversial pastor. If people disagree with my comments then feel free to say why and try to stay on topic. It would not be good if the moderators have to step in. If this topic is not worthy of your attention, then just ignore it.

20. SmF

SmF Well-Known Member

Because it's simple, direct, and straight to the point.

And another thing no one mentioned because maybe it's just me, but when someone say "Classic Bumblebee" confuses me to either they're referring to the CLASSICS series or the MOVIE series; in which some people have meant that term for both.

And I don't care if the years are wrong, cause they're really far apart anyway. The classic Camero always start with a 7 no matter how wrong they get. And the other is no where close.