Why do people like Shockwave so much?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I notice alot of members on here go crazy when it comes to Shockwave. They love him. I like him, but not nearly as much as everyone else. In G1, he was boring. In Animated, he was okay. In DOTM, he did nothing. I've heard he's great in comics, though(I need to start reading them). I've never understood where the popularity is coming from. What about him drives the fans to love him?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's mainly the comics (and animated, I guess), where he's a serious heavy hitter. Dude turns into a gun, makes Soundwave look sensitive and emotional, and trounces Megatron himself now and then. He's pretty neat, I guess, especially when they play him up as a scientist without morals/ethics.

3. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I love Shockwave thanks to Animated. He pretty much moved the entire plot.

And G1 Shockwave has a cool design.
    And wasn't he the leader of the Decepticons in the comics?

4. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Something or other. I don't think he's that big a deal either. I mean, I like Shockwave, but there's many other characters who I like more

I did really like what little there was of him in Exiles though

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Ya kinda answered your own question sport, hth

to be more specific, in the comics he was a considerably greater thinker than the other Decepticons and it made him suitably impressive. The original Marvel comics were conceived as a 4-part mini-series, but it was quickly decided to expand the story, and the 4th issue ends with a cliffhanger where the Autobots just barely triumphed over Megatron and the other '84 bots, only for Shockwave to unexpectedly make his move at that point, defeating the Autobots when they're thoroughly exhausted (the smart thing to do). He quickly assumes command of the Decepticons in the wake of his victory, and Megatron predictably isn't okay with this. Megatron, who is not a thinker like Shockwave, decides to challenge him, but he's still recuperating from his loss. Shockwave is nearly on his level when they're both in peak condition, so Shockwave easily trashes him and humiliates him in front of the Decepticons, leaving him alive when he begs for death to use him as an example that "Shockwave doesn't listen to what others want."

All of that, combined with the fact that his design itself is far more unique than all the Takarabots of the pre-movie era (he's all angular and cyclopic and alien compared to the Diaclone look), made him a guy that really stood out from the crowd. He deserves all the praise he gets.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I've read not much of the Marvel comics, but the comics I read displayed Shockwave as a cold calculating opponent you shouldn't underestimate. In DW and IDW comics he's quite cool too.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you're saying without the comics, he's almost nothing?

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, he's interesting in a lot of different ways in other incarnations, but the marvel G1 comics are one of his best and most well-known portrayals.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm much more black & white about why I like Shockwave. I simply liked his design aesthetic, his coloring, his unique face/head, his voice, his alt mode, and the fact that he wasn't a G1 character who got oversaturated.

10. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ..... :jawdropper: 

Well said sir. All the reason I need to love shockwave is right here. Though he may not be the #1 con for me, I do have a lot of respect for what the comics did to him and made him a scary mofo. I liked him in DOTM but I wish they had played on it a hell of a lot more and made him much darker than they did.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Pretty much this.

G1 Cartoon Shockwave - Meh. Average design with a somewhat memorable character.
    G1 Comic Shockwave - Haven't heard enough about him to make an informed decision.
    Energon Shockblast (if you choose to count him) - Interesting. Cool design with an interesting take on the character (even if he's not really supposed to be "Shockwave" due to Japanese reasons and such...)
    Animated Shockwave - Sweet design with a very interesting take on his character in terms of the undercover Longarm-story.
    WFC Shockwave - Nice design.
    DotM Shockwave - Hella cool design. That's pretty much it.

Most of my enjoyment of Shockwave stems from his physical appearance. And from the "evil scientist"-aspect of his comic version that I've heard so much about.

I'm very intrigued as to how TFP will do Shockwave.

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was my predominant reason for liking Shockwave all that time ago, and continuing my interest for over 25-years.
    Also, the design was also intriguing and different than the typical cars and jets.
    On a personal level, I related to his personality a bit too much.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Nothing more needs to be said. I also love the IDW Spotlight issue. Nice homage to the G1 Marvel story and Shocky is absolutely badass in it.

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I'm saying you simply can't understand if you haven't read them. His other appearances are fine, but his portrayal in the comics makes him more impressive than the majority of other characters in the franchise. He's a Decepticon who actually wins battles for pete's sake

15. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's ok.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Well there ya go.

17. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

shockwave try kill megatron

18. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Without reading any other replies, I like Shockwave a lot for a few reasons. First off is his look. He looks visually amazing, especially his WFC incarnation. I also like the amoral scientist archetype. High Moon described Shockwave as being loyal to Cybertron and I love that he'll do anything no matter how morally wrong it is to save his world.

But mostly he just looks freakin awesome.

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    His whole darn charisma, his look and his cold logical mind brings togheter a uniq and extremly dangerous Decpeticon...the G1 that is. but his potential never got to show in the cartoon though but that can be said for many bots.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits: