Why do people hate DOTM Voyager Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotMirage, Aug 5, 2011.

1. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    Haven't understood why so many people hate him. Bought one a few days ago and I absolutely love him He is a big improvement over the Movie 1 Voyager.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because he's not accurate.

Accuracy isn't everything.

I'm waiting for Fireburst.

3. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesnt hold together well, thats my problem, the proportions are off, and he cant seem to stand still well.
    Ive got fireburst.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    People hate him because the first images of him made him look like a downgrade of what we've seen with past Optimus Prime toys.

5. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Because aside from being small, it's also malproportioned and (imo) a very distinct step backwards from the preceding HFTD/AA Voyager.

Which raises the question as to why Hasbro and Takara put time and money into developing it when those resources could've gone elsewhere.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Just wanted to defend him. I am not saying he is a great mold, but certainly not a terrible one. The designers went on a different design goal. Instead of accuracy, which they did to Optimus already in ROTF, they went for stylistic heroic.

^^^ I agree completely. Some fans judge it based on that, and that's their preference. My preference has never been accuracy, but more of a badass look.

He holds together very well to me, and I have 3-4 of that mold going thru my hands already. He stands well for me with those relatively giant feet.

Yes, his chest :leg are badly proportioned, but I think its for a stylized look. This is a personal preference though.

7. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:

8. Irish Carnage

Irish Carnage Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    because he's shit.

9. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    I think one reason I'm not personally into him is because I own God's creation much like other people: ROTF Leader Class Optimus Prime. :)  Once you get him every other version of him becomes inferior.

10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're already an owner of rotf leader prime, there's not much to be desired from the dotm voyager prime. He's really a step back in everything except simplicity.

Fireburst is nice though. Much better deco and some neat clear parts. If you have rotf prime and you're at all curious in the dotm voyager, I'd suggest to give fireburst a shot. He's pretty neat.

11. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Fixed.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I bought the Fireburst version, I think it's pretty cool. Not perfect by any means, but the colors look fantastic in truck mode, the weapon is neat, and there's nothing wrong with the toy

13. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

There are a lot of pictures floating around of mis-transformed Leader Primes stuffed back in their box and returned to stores.

And the Voyager is apparently even more fiddly.......so whilst i loathe the DOTM Voyager....i can understand where it came from.

Or they could've just churned out the original movie Voyager Prime again.
    Maybe we had a luck escape.

14. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First let me say I don't own him - prolly never will - but...I don't like him because:

1) He is stylized in ways that IMHO don't improve him
    2) His alt more had horrible panel breaks that look terrible IMHO.

I can go for stylized, I think the first Voyager mold is stylized and I think the RotF deco makes good use of the fact that he isn't movie accurate, turning him into a Prime that is a unique design. But this Prime goes the wrong way for me, especially with the oversized gas tanks.

I will say though, like Rotf Voyager Prime, Fireburst is much better because the uniqueness is enhanced but the alt color scheme.

Edit: Oh, and I just got Battle Hooks Leader to see what the fuss was about. He's very cool but just too big for what I'm trying to do.

15. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't like the Optimus, Megatron or Ironhide voyagers this time around. I did get Skyhammer and Shockwave for damn sure though.

16. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I LOVE the Megatron design and transformation. He's just too small, like's he's 7/10ths the size he should be :( 

He throws off the scale in my movie display pretty bad but I just really dislike the RotF mold enough to overlook the scaling issues.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Feedback forum?

Anyways, I liked the look of the figure. I was excited about him. Bought him, and then that stopped. His arms are terrible (not because of the wheels, but because of the shapes and joint placement), with his legs straight, he naturally stares up, not straight. He's just awkward as hell to handle.

I still like the transformation though.

18. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

It's depending which version are you comparing to. If we use ROTF leader class buster prime is the standard, then everything else would be suck. Yep! ROTF leader class buster prime is my standard. :D 

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Battle Blades Prime. He's my Alpha and Omega of movie voyager Primes. That said I did get Fireburst entirely because of the deco and the mech-tech.

20. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    Accuracy might not be everything, but it something about its stylized presentation doesn't do it for me. As others have said, the ROTF Leader figure does a great job of bringing the character to life. Why get another that doesn't look anything like the character. I will grab it when it goes clearance, which I am pretty sure will happen. It's amazing how ROTF was the weakest movie, but produced some of the best figures to date.