why do people hate CGC?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, yeah, so why? i think its kinda cool that they can seal up a comic and make it more displayable...i dont think id ever read detective comics 27, not with all the reprints, so if i ever got one, itd go right there...i can understand newer stuff being silly to cgc, unless you think itll be worth something in 50 years...but...yeah, so why? whats your opinion?

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Because its both a result and a fuel of the speculator and comics-as-a-comodity markets, both of which did an enormous amount of damage to the industry in the 90s and still continues to do it no favors. Not to mention that such systems are highly open to abuse by the people who operate them and that the CGC have a somewhat dubious track record.

Plus the fact that slabbing comics completely defeats the point of owning them in the first place, i'd rather burn my collection then turn it into a set of oversized unreadable trading cards.

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Well that's all well and good for detective 27, sure. But for my copy of adventure comics #60? No. NOTHING in it has been reprinted, and I really enjoyed the two times I let myself read it. There are some rare instances when it makes sense (such as your example) but in general I give it a resounding "fuck that, comics are meant to be read."

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CGC graded or not, I can look at the covers in a bag & board for free. Why pay any amount of money to look at it through a thick plastic case? Oh...and if I wanted to by an investment, I'll hit up a stock broker.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    whats adventure comics 60? i assume a debut, but dont know....and, i guess i see some sides, but i guess i figure most important stuff will be redone someday...but i dont know if id ever do it either....unless it was something absolutely wild.......

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I've thought about CGC sometimes but only for my autographed stuff. However there are a few things that prevent me. It's $45 freakin bucks to get them graded because you have to do it by groups of 3 and in my case, they grade autopraphed comics differently because it's not an "official" signature. Unless one of their reps gets it signed or is present, it doesn't count on the formal autograph scale.

7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Like the AFA it's hype, and little substance