why do people complain about prices!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jmart, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

Because we are poor.

2. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why complain about prices??? Because food and rent are not free.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I complain more about QC than Prices.

I want my figures to last damnit.

4. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    That's why I don't complain about prices. Stuff costs what it costs and if the price makes me stop and think about it, then it's a sure sign that I don't want the toy that bad. I don't have a problem selling stuff at a loss if I want to get rid of it (see the signature below).

I do laugh when people talk about the cost of gas and time though, as if it's some sort of excuse for what they're charging: You're buying a toy at the store. It takes a lot of luck and zero skill, so don't expect to get a great hourly rate for your "time". Go play poker if you want to be paid to be lucky. If you're complaining about gas prices, then don't go. And don't pretend that a $15 markup covers gas, you aren't paying $60 a gallon for it. If you're spending all day driving around buying stuff, even at the worst possible mileage, then you're spreading out the cost anyway. If you drove around all day and only bought two toys at a store in order to try and get a profit out of them, then you're just not very good at this game. People might as well just say "it's a markup because I can get away with it". I've done plenty of that too.

5. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Guess what happened in most of the countries that don't have Wal-Mart.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Em, I don't know about that.

Some GI Joe fans are dropping $100 to $150 for those Sideshow Collectible 12" figures.

Ouch and you should look up the prices on things like Jedi robes, light sabers, or Storm Trooper armor to wear to conventions.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    fandom pride!

If they make transformers suit for convention, you bet they can be costly!

8. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:

The price increase is just one of those things that consumers are going to eat since the cost of materials and operating expenses go up. Also agree about the G1 market. Yeah, it be nice to do the Autobot roll call scene from MTMTE Pt. 1 with Classics figures, but Hasbro needs to carry their IP forward. It's not in their best interest to cater to a highly vocal minority, they won't sell what they need to to keep the line going.

The price point increase was bound to happen, it just now hurts a little more if you are choosing a need over a want.

So start feeding your stomach instead of feeding your obsession :D 

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Do you send a lot of Text messages as I had a real problem understanding that post.

Perhaps you might like to re edit it a bit to enhance the clarity and define your point a bit better.

Something like this ; (Please forgive any dodgy punctuation)

And yes I objected very much to paying £12.98 for Target/Tesco Cyberglyph Arcee as it's such a pointless mould.

But I don't have to worry about reselling as I keep everything for the most part that is my own and anything I sell is contemporary stuff so the price has not changed much up or down.

As some one pointed out the other day aside from Jazz and one or two others most of the 2007 Movie line is actually a small fraction of it's original cost.

But speaking as someone who's been trying to find an NEST EVAC for less than Ebay's $50.00 for months I'm not always happy to be on the buying end of a high price - especially when dodgy currency conversion rates are also making Takara-Tomy's Japanese toys insanely expensive as well .

£25.00-£30.00 for a Japanese Deluxe is not something I like to swallow easily.

10. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    what he said

11. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    then buy less, move somewhere cheaper or eat less.

It's not Hasbro/retailers/the fandoms fault you can't afford what you want. Hell it may not even be your fault, but toys and hobbies/entertainment are a luxury. No-one is entitled to them.

12. Seeker Lord

Seeker Lord Well-Known Member

I guess if I want it bad enough I have to pay what it costs. However I have seen a guy around here buying up popular toys even though he is not a collector or fan to sell for double on ebay. Those people suck, especially since they have the time and cash to be at stores when they open. I actually feel bad for the kid that saved up his allowance to get his grail to be 5 mins behind that douche.

13. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

It's human nature thing. If we not complain about price, we will complain about how cheap the plastic was, or that an ugly packaging. Complaining is the middle name of Human. :D 

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is all true, with one minor correction: Transformers fans, collectively, are the SECOND MOST cheapest lot of bastards... try the Star Wars collecting community. They're even worse so, maybe doubly so! (the exact same reasons)

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    It's not just individuals who chase delivery trucks it's companies too like BBTS - just ask anyone unlucky enough to live in the same area as they are based how hard it is to get ToysRUs/Target/Walmart exclusives after they've sent their toys elves into to grab them all on a regular basis.

I do sell toys but the only time I sell them for a 'lot' more than retail is if they have appreciated over months and years due to rarity pushing the prices up - such as happened with Premium 2008 Voyager Ironhide for example. And usually I'm cheaper than the Online stores.

I only usually get exclusives and such in for myself or because I got requests from international folks who can't get them. I'd not got into TRU and hoover up all the Grimlocks though and then put them up on ebay for over £100.00 like some have done - often trying to misrepresent them as Japanese stock in the process.

Speaking of prices though there's one person who drives me nuts who buys up all the stray botcon toys and then relists them for triple the price. that I find really irritating as he's trying to corner the market on them. such practices made Flare Up nearly impossible to get for anything approaching a sensible price . she was not initially going for high prices naturally like Ratchet was due to rarity - she was artificially price inflated due to external influences of one person and that vexes me somewhat.

16. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Well, it depends on what we are talking about here.

As far as me trying to unload stuff that I don't want anymore...I don't sell my stuff for excessive amounts of money, so I only complain when people complain about the shipping quote I give them, as if I should knock $10 off of a $12 item I'm selling because they live in California or something.

As far as buying figures at retail...I may complain about price when I open the thing up and realize that there are next to no paint apps or there are massive QC issues or if I'm just plain unsatisfied. And if it really bothers me that much...well, I have the receipt and hang on to the packaging, because back to the store they go.

And sometimes, if I find myself complaining about price...well, it's usually just a case of sticker shock. The Takara release of MP Rodimus is a good example of this.

17. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

Reading your post just gave me a migraine... proper grammar please. Anyways, supply and demand is the reason of this, and pretty much anything you will ever buy in your life. Get used to it.

18. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Also, I find myself complaining more about the price of everyday stuff, like groceries and bills than I ever have about toys.

19. Evil'Con

Evil'Con Genericon

News Credits:
    Yup. I buy Deluxes for 25 $. I don't buy much of them so I am fine.
    I buy all of them double more than in US.

20. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Cheapest online fandom is definitely macross people. Not the people we have on the macross thread here in tfw2005, the ones at macrossworld.

Nevertheless, transformers are the second cheapest. Most people can't understand that prices are artificially low in the US. The entire hasbro masterpiece skywarp fiasco pretty much speaks for the majority of folks. A toy that cost 100 USD imported for half the price, and everybody decides to wait until it goes on clearance for 15-20 USD. Congratulations cheapa$$es, you just killed US MP Thundercracker.

Yet it's the very same fandom that pays quadruple retail price for items released mere years ago. Classics Ramjet, Inferno, Smokescreen, Ratchet and so on did not cost that much. We [not taking myself out of the equation, even though I got them all at retail] made them like that.

I'm also quite displeased with our fandom's views on shipping costs. Most of the fandom [especially people in the US] have got to realize it does not cost 6 USD to ship an item to you, especially if we're outside the US. 6 USD is like 2.5 euros? Can't even ship a figure on that price within my country, let alone abroad.