why do people complain about prices!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jmart, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What's up people? I'm just wondering why people always complain about high prices on transformers. but when it is time 4 them 2 sell there collection they don't want to sell tham what's they payed 4 like cliff jumperhe was $15 now his going 4 $35- $50 dollars ram jet $15 now people r askin $50-80 this are the same people that complain just wondering ? One more toy r us. Mp rodimus his $65-$70 people want $80-$100 I think its fair .thay did drive around wasting gas and time!! Just saying

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Walk, don't run. Drink juice, yum-yum.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Fandom just wants things to b*tch about.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Hypocracy!

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

when you have something other people want they are always your "friend" or your "fellow fan." no different here...

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

When I sell something, I try to at least get as much back as I paid originally. It really depends on how valuable it is to me. I'm okay with taking a loss sometimes on figures that I'm not particularly fond of.

But on the flipside, if I ever decide to sell my Classics, I probably won't be asking $20 + S&H for Classics Prime or Jetfire.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    punctuation

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I'm an impatient seller and almost always end up selling at the break-even or loss-taking level.

But I'm strange ;) 

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i get irked when an item that is supposedly current and on the shelves is being sold for a profit of 2x-4x. i understand making a little extra, but not at hijacker's prices.

but if ya snooze, wait 5 years to start buying Alternators, you have to pay for it.
    that makes sense.

supply (which you don't have) and Demand (which everybody does.)

one costs more than the other.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    With all that extra cash from selling a marked up MP Rodimus we could buy some punctuation and grammar.

IMO, people have a right to be upset when you see an entire sortment of said figure at almost double retail cost. It's part of the Fandom though.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Transformers fans, collectively, are the cheapest bastards I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. If they're buying, your shit isn't worth the plastic it's made of. If they're selling, their shit is worth it's weight in gold.

As for stuff at retail, they're like old people. No concept of inflation. I pity every person here that can't afford a $20 purchase until payday because the inflation is only gonna get worse.

Deluxes were $10 for over a decade before Hasbro had to raise prices. If it weren't for Walmart (and China, but I'm not getting into the currency side of things) keeping prices artificially low, deluxes would have hit $20 years ago.

As for aftermarket: Classics and anything that reminds the whiny fanboys of their childhoods is automatically worth big bucks. And anyone with half a business sense knows that and will capitalize on it. Because Hasbro has better things to do than relive G1 all the goddamn time, 3rd party companies are starting to get their own market share based on fanboy demand.

tl;dr shit costs money, get over it.

12. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    LOL

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
  14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just something that is odd about human behavior.

We want to buy cheap because that leaves more money to buy more stuff. Compared to the third party prices Hasbro is almost giving the figures away but it's the end of the world if Hasbro and the retailers have to raise the price a dollar or two because production costs went up.

It's not just Transformers though where people think the things they own are worth a fortune. Just watch the reaction to people on something like Pawn Stars when they have to break the news to someone that their 1960's thing-a-ma-do isn't worth the thousands someone thought it was.

Personally I just find it odd to think any of my figures are worth more than I paid for them given that they aren't that old. But then I never really think of that anything I have has the value other people claim, not even my house.

15. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Yeah, people really don't want to pay more than retail. They also don't want to sell at a loss.

16. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    SO totally true, every word. Drives me nuts too.

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A thread complaining about collectors complaining about prices. Oh, the irony.

And to answer your question...
    [​IMG]

18. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    What do you mean i can't buy RTS for $5.:mad 

Ross has them so I'm entitled.

19. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That's some pretty funny stuff, telling it straight. A lot of truth in there, but I will say that TF fans in general seem to be willing to put out more coin for their love than do GI Joe or SW fans. TF fans drop some SERIOUS cash on the big releases, third party toys, Japanese releases, MP's, etc. So while there are definitely "cheap" fans, others have really shown that they are willing to fork over big bucks for the love.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think we set the prices to a certain degree. I had to sell off my Botcon 2011 boxset a few weeks back and it sold for close to 500...when BBTS still had them in stock for like 400. It was an auction setting, no buy it now or anything, and it got driven up that high. So things like that kind of set the market price IMO.