Why do people collect knock-offs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lord Megatron, May 14, 2007.

1. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I'm just curious to know why people collect knockoff TFs and such. I don't myself, but why do others do it? And I thought it was illegal to sell them?

2. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Because they feel like it? I don't see why people collect transformers toys either and display them by rows on the shelf in their houses but they do. Why do people collect anything? Because they enjoy them and it makes them happy I suppose.

3. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I know that any KO i've got is simply because it was a more affordable option than spending the required amount of money on an original. That about sums it up.

4. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

I bought a couple cause I never got the origionals, like the KO rattrap, purple terrosaur (yeah yeah I dont remember his name) and leo-prime. I almost got the knockoff Arialbots set cause I only had four of the five in the G2 set.

5. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Simultaneous post! You owe me a beer! :D 

edit: you BOTH owe me a beer!

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a pretty decent collection of knock-offs from throughout the years. I haven't really been into them too much lately. I used to love ko's because I used to enjoy some of the zany variations I would see. Some of my favorites are my Optimal Optimus that is about half the size of the original, my Energon Omega Supreme that is a bit taller than a deluxe, my oversized Beast Machines Rattrap, and my clear purple Energon Saber Mini-Cons. I have a bunch more that are packed away that I can't think of right now. The crazier the ko, the more I would want it. I have very little use for "replica" styled ko's. Just don't see the point.

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The only KOs I own are Ratbat/Frenzy. Why? Because there is no official reissue and I am too cheap to pay for a mint vintage set.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    the only reason i could possibly imagine for NOT getting a ko version would be if you were collecting them as an investment or something?

9. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

I got a knock off Superion....a guy on ebay ripped me off, said they were orginals, even had pictures of the real thing....and sent me a knock-off.

I reported him........and kept the KO.........standing in the row with the others, you cant tell the difference! :D 

10. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I think part of the attraction with KO's is the gamble you take, for a minimum of cost. You can either get some really great toys like the Roadbots or the Change Robo Trucks, or you can get total pieces of monkey poo like the KO Superion or the Beast Robo sets.

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

They're freak.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm in the boat that loves the G1 repro KOs. I have Prime, Swoop, and all the cassettes so far. I have reissues where available, and a few vintage to fill in gaps that weren't reissued. I will pick up the KOs if they release them before I can pick up a minty vintage.

13. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Because.

14. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

you're gonna have to wait about three years lol cause I aint goin to jail

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I don't buy KOs anymore but there is one I really regret selling : G1 Deathsaurus (same as original, very good plastic, both breastmasters, complete). With repro stickers, it looked awesome.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That's exactly why I bought the Swoop & Raiden KOs a couple of months back.

17. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

If they are cheap and decent quality, I buy them. Nuff said.

18. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'll buy them if I feel like doing a kitbash on a mold that I like but don't want to ruin an original figure. You really do have to be careful with those things being sold on eBay, though...

19. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

as a designer, knockoffs speak a lot about the popularity of certain designs. they are a great way to introduce a toy to a marketplace that can't afford the price for a real one. the standard salary in certain asian countries are extremely low and these are the only way people can enjoy transformers. the colors, scale changes, and remolds also tell a lot about what it takes to sell a mass amount of product.

as a collector, bootleg hunting is challenging and rewarding. because of their manufacturing and niche distribution people don't really take care of them and keep them "complete". it's very fulfilling to find strange weird knockoffs that are undocumented and in good condition.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have a few really cool KOs myself. The Star Saber and Dai Atlas KOs I have are really cool. The quality is surprisingly well (even though still a bit subpar than originals), but the price I paid for each of them doesn't even come close what I would have to pay for just an original Star Saber. With these, it's a good way to enjoy some really cool originals for a lot more managable price.

Recently, I was able to nearly finish the KO BTs. These are just really cool, imo. The paint schemes are original and unique, and the quality is surprisingly pretty nice for a KO. These are more so in my collection for the novelty standpoint.

There are lots of good reasons to get KOs; I've just conveyed two from my personal collection. Often times they are a good source of kitbash fodder as well.

Also, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Any time something as innovatitve as Transformers comes on the scene, imitations are sure to follow.

Actually this is one of the things I'm looking forward to with the release of the new movie. I really hope we see some very cool KOs as a result of the movie. :D