Why do people care so much about product placement?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Sep 23, 2007.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I was just reading the thread on TF2 and someone mentioned that they wanted less product placement and then that reminded me when someone mentioned that there was TOO MUCH product placement in Transformers.

It never really bothered me but I was wondering why anyone actually cares or is even bothered by the fact that there's product placement in there. I just think its kinda realistic that they are using things like Panasonic memory cards and Dell Laptops and of course GMC/Ford cars instead of some no-name made up stuff.

And on a more practical point of view, its actually very efficient for the budget because companies pay big bucks to get their products in a big movie like that so that will add more to their fund for what we end up getting shown on the screen. Every dollar counts.

So I don't see whats the real big deal. Is it distracting or something? I didn't notice anything in the first viewing except for GMC/Ford and Mountain Dew and XBOX. But other than that, you'd have to really care or look for them to really notice. I know there was at least 10 companies in there but I don't see what is the big deal about it. Did it really bother you that much? I mean, who really cares since with or without it, its still the same movie. You still gotta have some kinda American cars that Transform into Robots.

2. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

It doesn't usually bother me unless the movie's storyline gets warped BECAUSE of product placing (i.e Final Fantasy Advent Children and their excessive focus on those darn phones D:) .

Though admittedly, seeing most of the cars in the TF movie (especially those S7 ones) bearing the General Motors symbol was a little weird...

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't usually care about prodcut placement myself. The only time I thought it was really cheesy was when the hacker girl took the memory card out and held it to the camera for a second like a commercial. It made people actually laugh in the theater.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It was just the couple of close-ups of the GMC logo on the front of cars that irked me. It was distracting, but nothing more.

Also, anyone who says the Mountain Dew placement was crap, fie upon them!

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Suddenly I'm reminded of that scene from The Truman Show...

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The thing is that in the real world there are no brands and products.

Also, product placement means that you've sold out to the man and your film has no artistic or entertainment merit.

I do agree that the memory card thing was horrible.

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Product placement is perfectly fine. Hell, it's actually a great thing. It's just that most of the time, they go overboard with it.

For example, most of the stuff in TF was just a quick flash of a logo. Yes, there was dewbot, and the xbox, but it wasn't like they were playing xbox and it jumped around, or everyone was snowboarding then dewbot shot them up.

An example of horrible product placement in a movie, would be in blade 3 where the chick whistler put her headphones on, blade asked wtf she was doing, and then the guy goes on about how she mixes tracks and crap after they showed her messing around in itunes.

Even worse is a lot of video games. My roomate was playing rainbow six las vegas, and EVERY DAMN WALL had an ad for axe bodyspray.

So it all depends upon context. Most of the vehicles being GM, or most of the characters in a movie drinking pepsi products is fine, so long as they aren't holding it all up to the screen and talking about it for no reason.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I'm not sure what world you live in, however my world has plenty of products and brands. In fact, we are conversing about one right now that we all like.

On topic, the brand placement doesn't bother me at all. I think it made the movie more realistic to have real like brands in the movie. There were other car brands seen, just no close ups of them, which is fine. Remember the Porche dealership in the beginning. I think Black Out chopped a Pontiac GTO apart in Mission City at the end.

9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

There's GOOD kind of product placement, like the Coca-Cola ads in Blade Runner.

Then there's the BAD kind of product placement, like the aforementioned memory stick scene.

The difference between the two is that the GOOD kind of product placement is non-obtrustive and serves as a sort of real-life connection. Back to the Future also made very good use of product placement, to showcase the difference between the 50's and the 80's. In fact, I recall Shell offered more money than Texaco, but the producers chose the latter because their logo had changed between the two time perioids.

And the bad is...well...the one that's blatant advertising.

10. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Didn't somebody say something along the lines of;
    "Anybody who complains about product placement in a movie that comes from a toy-line is a f'in idiot"?

Product placement doesn't really bother me. As long as it's not IN YOUR FACE and the characters go on and on talking about said product. As urban-samurai pointed out. It makes the film more realistic and the film companies benefit from it.

I think there was a time, a while ago, (I think before I was born, because I only remember family talking about it, but never seeing it myself...) film companies couldn't use name brand products in films and tv shows? And had to use made up stuff?

Hahaha we sell refrigerators at work, and all of them that have pictures of the frigs open on the boxes have food/drinks inside them. All the drink and food products are turned in such a way you can't see what brand they are.

11. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never mind product placement. In fact it makes films more realistic: no crappy made up brands at least.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I've said something to that effect several times, minus the idiot part. The Transformers cartoon, then and now, is nothing more than a glorified toy commercial, occasionally interrupted by commercials for other products aimed at the target demographic. In the cartoon's case, it's toys and games. In the movie's case, it's..well..bigger toys and games like cars and consumer electronics. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

It is a bit silly to complain about the X-box or Mountain Dew machine interfering with your enjoyment of the movie...and then going out and buying all the toys. Or better yet, going to buy the TF game for your 360. Talking on your Nokia. All in a Chevy Tahoe. With a Pepsi in the drink holder.

But yeah, that said, the Panasonic memory card was, "Oh, come on!"

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I think there's a significant difference...you can skip commercials. You can't skip product placements.

14. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think the memory card was borderline horrible product placement. The only way it could've been worse was if Maggie held it up and said "Panasonic makes the best memory cards, and when I need to store a kangaroo's pouch worth of data, I wouldn't trust anyone but Panasonic, mate"

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Product placement reminds me of commercials, and I hate commercials. And I don't to be constantly reminded of one while trying to wacth a movie.

16. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I don't care so much in TF, but I hear it's crazy in the first Rebuild of Eva movie

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I have no problems with product placement when it is done well/right and has a more natural feel to it. However, when it is just so damn blatant it is annoying, stupid, and just comes off..well wrong. Like when the hacker chick pulls out the flash card and angles it so the camera can see the Panasonic written across it..THAT is what I don't like. And you can only imagine Bay telling her how to do the shot. "Remember, when you pull out the card be certain to turn it towards the camera and hold it there for a couple seconds before you put it away." I mean...come on.

18. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is silly.
    If you mean "an art house flick", fine, but just because something doesn't have product placement doesn't make it good, nor does the fact that something *does* have product placement mean its bad.

There have been plenty of movies that are amazing, classic, (and yes artistic) movies that have had product placement.

If you are that worried about "the man" I think your priorities are a bit skewed as far as what entertains you anyways. That's like saying as soon as a band gets popular they automatically suck. Being popular doesn't make a band suck, writing shitty songs makes them suck.

-D

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I understand why GM were the only cars featured in the film because of contracts, but the fact that S7 and the autobots were ONLY GM cars made the movie unrealistic.

20. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

It's dumb. You can't have robots in disguise without product placement, because for them to be disguised they have to turn in to shit that people can buy.