why do people buy knock offs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by redoptics, Jul 15, 2009.

1. redoptics

redoptics Banned

they irratate tha fuck out of me buying fake product that costs a hell of a lot these days

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

[​IMG]

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    some buy them as they cannot either find or afford the real thing and a KO is there only option in fact im considering buy a few knockoffs

4. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Are KO's of poor materials/plastics too?

I never get the interest in KO's either but I can at least say so in a polite manner.

6. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like someone thought the KO they were looking at was going to be cheaper than it was....me thinks Commander Set.

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    i bought it cause i use them for kitbashing (much more cheaper than taking originals) and i wanted to have oversized toys (voyager rotf depthcharge is amazing!)

8. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Some have decent/good plastic, like the KO Cassettes but there are brittle plastic versions of G1 Devastators and such.

9. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

:horse: 

• Because they can be less expensive than buying the real thing.
    • Because they make cheap kitbash fodder.
    • Because it's their money to spend as they see fit.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Easy

Kitbash

Fodder

At least that's why I've bought ko's in the past. The cheap, oddly colored, dollar store type of ko's, not the expensive, reverse engineered ko's that try to look like originals. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd rather buy a loose, slightly beat-up original. That way I can have a real reason to fix it up, rather than because it's a poorly made ko. This reminds me, I've been meaning to go out to Big Lots for a while now. They usually have a good amount of cheap ko's to pick from. Would be nice to get some dragon arms for my RID Megatron.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Also, some of them have design changes that are just too damn weird to resist, like 3 foot tall heroes of cybertron figures or micromaster-scale bruticus.

Not all knockoffs are designed to look exactly like the real thing.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Not all KO's are bad. The plastic on a lot of them is pretty good, sometimes better than the original.

I think the reason behind people buying KO's has more to do with the original's overall rarity and price. For example, not everyone can afford a mint/sealed G1.

Another motivation is that people might enjoy collecting a particular mold, even if some of those variants are knock offs. They might like the color schemes, light-&-sound features, and the sizes (some KO's are twice as large as their original counterparts).

13. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Oh Gawd, this again! Let the watching by the mods begin, this is sure to get ugly.

I'll be over here, I don't want to get blood splatter on me - :confused2 

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    THIS.

For example: my Energon Combiners. I couldnt find the originals and i still cant. And the KO's sets come right on time, plus they are awesome. ^^ The plastic isnt bad at all and they have accurate colors, no clown color scheme or anything. I also add to the "couldnt find the originals so KO's came handy" list: E-Wing Saber, RM Leo and Saber, GF Voyager Starscream..am...thats it. ^^ I have a Classics MEgatron but that was because i needed spare parts. :p 

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

My main reasons have already been stated (kitbash fodder and cheap reproductions).

Take into consideration the CC set. Now, let's say I wanted to add battle damage to it, but I didn't want to harm the value of the armor kit itself, how would I go about doing that? Easy: take one of the recently issued CC armor KO's and beat THAT up for battle damage, and then institute interchangeable parts between the two sets.

16. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

For me, it's because the Ko offers something that Hasbrow didn't.

I have a few Grimlock Ko's from the 80's that have more prehistoric theme or Gozilla theme.
    I have a lot of the WST.
    I have the Shadow Commander, and plan on getting the City protector when it's out.
    if the Igear Sharkticons ever get released I'll pick up a whole army of them.
    All of these are things the fans wanted, but Hasbro/Tarkara didn't see fit to give us.
    Hasbro doesn't do everything we FanPeople want; look at FP, Best toys, or Igear.
    So if Hasbro doesn't make it, we get it from somebody else.

Personally if it's decent quality I don't see the problem. Do you always buy High end clothing, or do you find your self shopping in Target or Kmart Sometimes? it's the same to me.

I can understand not buying a KO if it's a direct rip off of a current listing with no changes, but if it's different in any way or released later, I don't see the problem.

17. redoptics

redoptics Banned

I can understand not buying a KO if it's a direct rip off of a current listing with no changes, but if it's different in any way or released later, I don't see the problem.

thats what i meant i see wheeljack go up 120 pounds you talking about 160-170 dollers

18. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Had no idea they made KO of those guys. Do you have a site link or did you just get them off of ebay?

19. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    ok...So it is quite simple...Lots of us like certain transformers and want to have one in their collection but are not wanting to spend $100's of dollars to have certain transformers...

So there you go...and i am glad KO's irritate the fuck out of you....hate keeps folks nice and warm at nite....

20. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I'd probably buy some if I knew where to find them.