Why do people always hate the new TF series?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Recall, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Animated came and people bitched and moaned, yet by the end it was missed and loved. Now with Prime we have the same thing all over again.

So here is a tip, wait and see before you cast judgement via conjecture fuelled nerdrage. C'mon lets for once take the sensible option and lets see how it plays out. Please.

2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I think the majority of the bitching and moaning with Animated stemmed from the artwork that was seen before the show aired. A lot of people hated the look of it. I admit, I was one. When that picture of Optimus first showed up where he was doing that flying leap pose next to the show's name I hated the look of it. But after seeing what the artwork really looked like, I figured I'd give it a chance and man, what an amazing show. Easily my favourite (and yes, I grew up with G1).

Most of the fans, from what I've seen, just don't like anything that's not G1. Either the story isn't G1 enough for them, the characters aren't G1 enough for them, or the designs aren't G1 enough for them. I love G1 just as much as the next fan, but it had its day.

I'll give this new show a chance for sure. I don't mind that the designs seemed to be based on the Movie-verse. I'm not a Bayverse fan, but if the story is good, it'll be worth watching. Probably pass on the toys though.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Because, in a fit of irony for a franchise based on things that transform from one form to another, a significant (or at least vocal) portion of the fandom is resistant to any sort of change.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I loved Animated! It was a great show! 'Nuff said.

5. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

This guy is right about Animated, I thought it looked awful when I first saw those pics, and tbh I still dont like the look of Prime. But the show was great and the toys look amazing, I just forced myself not to buy any and stick to G1, argh!!!!

6. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I'll hold my hand up and say "I totally judge Animated on my own preconceived notions!" then I actually watched it and realised it was awesome!

It's a knee jerk reaction. "holy shit! funky curvy designs! things are different!" it happened with the 07 movie designs too.

I hope the designs of the characters are more like WfC or maybe the current IDW stuff that's a bit of a mix of movie and blocky, panelled G1 goodness.

In any case, I can't fucking wait to see it!

7. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    i think the movie designs are being used enough in the movies and the toyline. alot of people were exspecting something different. that doesent mean it wont be good though. people have used the internet for complaints since day one bound to happen

8. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no interest in this series because after the hot trash that ROTF was it turned me off to all things related the movie. The only exception being the ROTF game. And then you have Orci and Kurtz working on this as well? No thanks. I have no interest in crude immature humor.

9. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I am fully capable of admitting that my initial reaction to Animated was wrong and I ended up loving the show relatively quickly. You're right in that we should wait before we cast judgement.

However, TF: Prime looks to be set in the movie world and I just don't find the movie world to be all that interesting. The robots look like giant alien junkpiles. I just want to keep the animated stuff separate from the movie stuff. TF: Prime could end up being very awesome. I'm just saying that handcuffing it to the awful movies is not a good start.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Because people are afraid of change.

It makes sense though...Animated and Movie both introduced radically different styles from the 'original' bots..up til that point, all of the series' robots still looked blocky like G1 (although more evolved).

I still think the very first image of Animated (the Optimus picture) was misleading. When I look back at it I still think it doesn't really reflect the way the character looks in the series. I was pretty much sold on the designs when they gave us the full group shot picture though.

I agree that people could be more open minded. Everybody should be allowed to like or dislike what they want of course (it's a feeling!), but some people are very fast to write off something that is different or new to them..some people are even really harsh about it!

As for the new series..we are forming all of our opinions based on half a picture of Bumblebee. I have to say I am a bit disappointed at the moment with how it looks, but I'm pretty sure once we get to see more I will like it.

What pisses me off about this fandom though is fans dare to judge other fans on the sole reason of disliking a part of the franchise other people do like.

11. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Change! You got change! Oh, help a guy out! Would you?!

With all seriousness, it's just one look at concept art or how the series looks like and people say they hate the series without even seeing character development and stories. (Looks at Johnator)

I bet that's why many hate the animes or some hate Animated, they just hate the art style. But you know what I dare them to do concept art any thing better than what's shown in front of me on TV. As for me, I'll enjoy the characters and story and don't care that much about the animation.

12. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is what keeps me from posting on here more often. There are a lot of great members here, but unfortunately, so many fans just shit all over the ones who like a different aspect of the franchise. Nothing pisses me off more than when some starts a topic about Animated (just as an example) and how much they liked the show/toys and some idiot posts a message saying "Animated sucked! Thank god it's done!".

Again, with the new cartoon, I'm sure we're going to see a ton of posts saying how much people hate it already, just from half a picture of Bumblebee.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I learned my lesson. I effing hated the art work of TFA. I was like "what the fuck, here goes the franchise..."

Yeah...good call right? I'm giving Transformers Prime a shot.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

15. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's like this every time a new spin get's put on Transformers. Fan's throw up their arms that the animators didn't include this one piece of dialogue or this one critical gesture.
    Transformers,in a nutshell, need to change to adapt to what the fanbase wants. They need to reinvent themselves and Transformers Prime is the perfect example of Hasbro adapting to what the new generation of fans want. Look at Animated, we all hated it in the beginning because it devatied from what we fan's consider canon. We're all going to hate TF Prime because it's a break from whats normal.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Animated gave people plenty to worry about as it rolled out. First there was the image that wasn't very flattering of the art style to turn people off. Then there was word that people who were involved with Teen Titans were involved with Animated so people jumped to the conclusion that it would be just like Teen Titans. (I really enjoyed Teen Titans myself). Then there was that first clip that showed a spin transformation so everyone jumped to the conclusion that all the transformations would be like the Tasmanian Devil.

Of course then Animated actually aired and most of the conclusions that people had jumped to on very little information turned out to be false.

Transformers Prime is hitting the same problems with information trickling out and people jumping to conclusions. Orci and Kurtz are involved so people jumped to the conclusion that it will be exactly like Revenge of the Fallen. We saw that first image of Bumblebee and because he shares some design features with movie Bumblebee people jump to the conclusion that it will be exactly like the movies.

Throw in that some people are just really, really, really, really, tired of the movie stuff and want a choice of something different and it's not all that hard to figure out why things went a little crazy when Bumblebee looked a bit like movie Bumblebee. I know I could live without ever having to see movie Starscream again but I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that Transformers Prime Starscream will be like movie Starscream, for all I know the cartoon one will be able to smirk.

So all you can do is let people jump to conclusions and then this Fall we will find out how many of those conclusions are wrong just like so many conclusions about Animated turned out to be wrong.

17. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

that is a lot to extrapolate from an illustration of bumblebee's head and shoulders. :D 

18. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everybody hates it because it's not G1. The casual fan does not frequent these boards.
    I don't miss TFA, I've completely ignored the AEC crap. It's all about the individual.

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Who is this 'everybody' you speak of, though?

I'm pretty sure, even on a board filled with 'hardcore' fans, alot of them are very open minded. It just looks like 'everybody' is hating whatever is new simply because negative replies stick in our heads much longer..and a majority of people just don't bother to post.

Please don't make it look like this is a forum crammed with people who will only accept something in the vein of G1, as if that's the only thing hardcore fans care about.

Not sure if that is what you were going for but your post reads edgy like that. :) 

Like I said before, as much as I love Animated's style, this first picture really gives the wrong feel, even now.
    The lines are too thick and the character in a pose too extreme, it makes the style look much wonkier than it is in reality. No wonder people got pissed off. :) 

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The buddah says that life is a state of constant change, and all misery is the result of resisting these natural, immutable changes. To desire that which is no longer, or that which cannot be, this is the nature of sadness. Let us meditate upon this point.