Why do hasbro keep churning out shoddy products?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MasterDeath, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

Ok folks this is SERIOUSLY getting on my nervs now. Why can't hasbro put out decent products any more?

Spacificly:

Marvel figures such as iron man 2 etc: Joints that wont turn at all unless you twist the damn thing off all together (example: iron man 2 air assault drones)

Joints so loose that the figure can't take its own weight (example iron man 2 titanium man, and at least half of the marvel universe line)

Transformers: parts that should have been glued down that come off all over the place (smoke stacks etc)

Parts that should have had a metal bit put through so it doesn't keep coming off (quite a few)

Ball joints, now these are the worst of all. Sometimes even in the packaging the ball joint has popped out (wtf??) you are transforming, carefully and slowly but that damn leg keeps popping off. They go loose about a week after you get the toy.

I am really careful with the toys I have. In the UK we don't get half the stuff that USA does.... even the so called shelf warmers are scarce over here. and so I treat my toys very well.

I managed to get brawn the other day (ROTF) and soon as I began to transform it, the legs kept popping off. Nice design, very badly implemented (as I have come to expect from hasbro of late) Due to it being top heavy, these loose ball joints can barley hold it up.

So is all this cost cutting or what? or are they having a laugh at our expense? gluing down joints that should move, just for a laugh? making toys that fall apart soon as you get it out of the packaging...for the fun of it? transformers that don't go together correctly in alt mode..... robot modes that parts unclick themselves when you move an arm... (classics powerglide for example) How do kids even play with these toys with these faults?

Discuss.

2. 100% Mackem

100% Mackem Banned

Being from the UK myself I totally agree with what your saying. I really look after all my Figures/Toys. I hardly ever pose them because I want the joints to remain tight.

I've noticed with some of the more recent Hasbro products I've recently purchased, when transforming from vehicle to Robot Arms/Legs seem to pop off. Some of the new Star Wars figures bend really easily bend when removing from the packaging. It's a nightmare !

3. pud333

pud333 Well-Known Member

Part of the reason why Hasbro's products tend to suck is because of you the consumer. Maybe not "you" specifically, but buyers in general. Specifically North American consumers who want cheaper products. Well, cheaper products usually means quality goes down because you have to pay for quality. When consumers won't pay unless something is Walmart-cheap, then wages go down, and quality of work also goes down. Would you give a shit if you were being paid pennies to make these toys? That's not even including cost cutting when dealing with materials, etc.

I always laugh when someone complains Hasbro's quality sucks and then in the same breath says they'll wait for it to show up in discount bins at Ross or wherever.

The other part is Hasbro. They can get away with making cheaply made products because people will continue to buy them, no matter how many freaking repaints there are.

That being said, the prices of toys has gone up faster in the last two or three years than expected.

4. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Hasbro's piss poor QC may be more acceptable in the US where everything costs half the price and is easily replaceable but over here it's not like that, we have to pay enough as it is without having to put up with such crap as mentioned already by the previous posters.

It's why I go for the Takara versions of most toys because I've only ever had 3 toys that had issues compared with around 20-25 Hasbro's most of which were either Animated or from the various Movie lines.

When a 3rd party company can release a scaled down knockoff of Masterpiece Prime that has better QC than either of the Hasbro ones there is something quite clearly wrong.

Will anything get done about it? Unlikely but whilst Takara are doing such a great job I don't really care.

5. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

The thing about this is, these toys are made fore kids. When I was young as most youngsters; I was quite rough when playing with my toys. I had a few transformers and figures and whatnot (80's early 90's) and most of them didn't break.

Now if you where to give one of these newer transformers to me as a child, It would be in pieces in less than 5 minutes.

Transformers would be in bits, figures would have arms and legs twisted off. My parents would not buy me toys often then as they would often break....... so question is how the hell do hasbro keep making money? do parents just keep buying replacements or what?

Toys I had got allot of play out of them, and some lasted years.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Do people still say "QFT?"

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I uh........hate to be the pitty party pooper here but uh......I don't really have many "shoddy" Hasbro products. The only figure I've purchased this pass year that has any noticeable QC issues was Terradive and even then it's as simple as plugging his arm right back onto the peg.

Also, I love when people use this as an excuse to say how much of a godsend Takara is and how they do no wrong. They have their issues too. Easily scratchable chrome, MP Megatron's numerous issues, like rusting.....i mean no company is perfect and shouldn't be called such all because they do things like screen-accurate paint schemes.

8. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    You do realize that the toys back then were bricks and pieces of crap (Those rare few notwithstanding), nostalgia aside, right?

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Most people don't.

Also, hasbro doesn't put out shoddy product. But a few can have QC issues. It's not like every single sample suffers the exact same problem.

10. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

^Agreed, the only shoddy product I think they put out was Double Clutch, which I know for certain had HORRIBLE QC problems.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I uh, also want to throw in that toys in the US cost less because... we buy a lot. You know, when you can sell a kajillion to the Walmarts and other department stores, Hasbro doesn't need to charge as much to make a profit in the states. It's not really just because we're cheap. Also, Hasbro makes toys geared towards kids first and foremost, also international taxes, also... ahh nobody will listen.

Mass produced products of any kind have defects.

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd like to know what toys you were playing with. I had Transformers, GI Joes, Ninja Turtles and MASK stuff all with their fair share of "war wounds." I wasn't completely rough with 'em, but I did play hard. My G1 Prime's head broke off. Jazz and Prowl's windshields and rear windows snapped into pieces. Not to mention my Metroplex suffered from the infamous "waist of doom." Joe O-rings popped left and right. My Ninja Turtle Party Wagon's mirrors pieces had broken pegs and the roof hinge cracked off, and my Turtle Blimp suffered a hole in it after day one of playing with it. Right now I can't think of a single toy that didn't survive my childhood at least a little banged-up.

13. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Looseness issues can be fixed you know. Toys these days are made so the parts can detach when enough force is applied so they dont break permanently.

14. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

the old toys do seem more sturdy than the current offerings, even though i did manage to break many of my old toys. may be cos they have limited aticulations and fewer joints mean less chance of breaking, also most of my old TFs have metal screws/ joints.

as for plastic figures, i've never had problems (ie stuck joints)with my 90s batman animated toys as compare to DC universe and Iron Man 2 3.75" figure.

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

QFT.

The idea is that they can pop off so they don't actually break.

16. TehPaws

TehPaws I have a silly name!

Very true. The invention of the ball-joint for toys allowed for an inexpensive, poseable joint that was designed to pop on and on during the course of extended play rather than shear off permanently. Think of how the original toys were built; sure, they had a lot of die-cast and solid parts, so they seem tougher; but once something DOES break (which is pretty much inevitable for your average kid) it's broken more or less for good. Imagine trying to repair G1 Optimus' leg once it snaps off, verses, say, the Animated versions of the same character.

My little Crankcase figure certainly shows his age. His gear mechanism for his guns doesn't even work anymore, most of his screws have stripped or rusted, the stickers are gone, etc. And guess what? His arms, which are attached by simple metal screw pins, are as loose as any ball joint. =P And once they break there is no fixing it.

In my opinion today's Hasbro products ARE a bit hit and miss, but generally they do quite well considering the level of detail and posing option in the engineering. Or I suppose we could all go back to the days of die-cast bricks. Personally I'd like to be able to play with my toys.

17. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

If this is referring to my previous post in the thread I suggest you read it again.....I never said that Takara were perfect but in my experience their QC is far more consistent and the only problems I've had are,

loose joints on Henkei Skywarp & Thundercracker

a bit of chrome on Henkei Sunstreaker's spoiler rubbed off....which didn't matter because I covered it with a reprolabel so it's not noticeable.

Compared with their US counterparts Takara and 3rd party companies like FansProject actually seem like they give a crap about their end product being of a decent quality.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    This is funny! Yesterday I took Galvatron off the shelve and had him in hand and while I wanted to pose him and thought that it is sad that there are some joints that are not so good and I was wondering what exactly wasn't that right, the same second his lower right leg popped off... I had to tighten a screw at my Rodimus, but he's still not what I expected him to be and at my Starscream I had to file some plastic off, so I could Transform his upper body properly. But apart of that Starscream is still better than Galvatron and Rodimus. Only Cyclonus and WFC Prime are perfect (I don't have any other modern Transformers).

I still have Transformers from my childhood, but everyone of them is of much better quality than the modern toys...

The toys look good on the shelve, but when you can't even pose them much, what sense do they make? I can't imagine how a kid would like such messy toys...

So while I enjoy them standing on my shelve, I'm a bit disappointed I'm afraid to handle them more, except for Prime and Cyclonus. They are fun in every sense.

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Joint tightening?

20. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Hasbro don't actually own any factories, iirc.

Rising cost of plastic production.

Dollar is a little soft these days.

Wal-Mart won't allow Hasbro to put prices up.... (but prices get hiked in less important, international, markets).

The issue with Brawn is common place, IIRC. Lockdown from the same wave had plenty of loose ball joints too.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.