Why do ebay and amazon sellers charge WAY over the odds for items?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MasterDeath, Aug 14, 2011.

1. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    For the same reason BBTS charges double for TRU Roddy. Because people pay it. Don't hate the scalpers, hate the impatient collector with more money than sense.

3. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    People will throw up listings in case someone is desperate or to catch someone who doesn't know better.

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, if you look at the history for the item, you'll see that he has previously sold two at £29.99 so the current listing is more than likely a simple error.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Free hits.

he sold the last one for 30

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    How about the desperate collector in an area with shitty, or nonexistant distribution who are willing to pay a little extra, cause that extra would otherwise go towards the cost of gas, and the wasting of one's time.

7. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people want to make money.

We act like that's totally taboo, unspoken or even treated with disdain, but the sheer fact is that some people want to make money off of a product that some of us want to own for different reasons. And that upsets people I suppose.

8. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. At least for me when it comes to some figures. I, for example, can't get out of myhouse too often cause of my health condition. When I do go out and actually hunt for transformers a few things happen when I don't find the ones I want.

1) Lots of wasted gas. Usually when I go out on a hunt, I make it a day long event hitting multiple kmarts, walmarts, targets and toys r us.

2) Lost of lost time. So depending who you are, you can place a different value on the lost time. In some ways for me, its a give and take. On one hands, I get to enjoy the time away form the house for about 5 to 7 hours. On the other hand ihave to deal with the frustration of not finding a single figure I want on the bad days.

3) Following day penalty. So if you're a healthy person, you probably won't suffer form this, howing having a health condition and being handicapped can cause you to have a following day(s) penalty. For me, I usually end up sleeping A LOT the following day, and a few hours extra the next couple days. I feel weak and out of energy from the expedition to the store.

So, for me, those are the 3 major issues for me, and the reason why I may spend a little extra on a figure rather than go through the frustration and other issues of hunting and not finding.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I think people need to be more willing to ask on the forums for help for TFs they can't get. Amazon and Ebay sellers charge that much because we pay for them. You could get help from local collectors or collectors elsewhere for a fraction of the cost of what you would get on Ebay.

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke!

News Credits:
    ^ More of this and less of scalpers. These type of listings wouldn't be there if there wasn't actually a chance (however small) people would pay those ridiculous prices.

My own situation, I just bought a Classics Ultra Magnus for a bit less than the current going rate at most other auctions. Seriously, I'm talking well over $100 USD for a loose UM. Insanity. The MISB two-pack goes for around $150. Me, I paid a little over 60 for a loose UM, shipping not included. Not great, but not horrible either since I knew I was going to pay a little more than most would be comfortable with.

But on the flip side, I half-jokingly asked not too long ago if anyone on the forums would be willing to sell a UM at a non-scalper price and I get jumped on by folks claiming, "Well, why the hell should people sell highly sought after figures at a loss?" or "That's what you get for being late to the game. You snooze, you lose."

This fandom is really schizophrenic, lol. Yeah, I know, supply and demand, it's the way of the world. Fans want low low prices when they buy and high high prices when they sell. Doesn't apply to just Transformers collecting. I'm not crying about it, I'm just saying. In the end, I'm more or less satisfied with the price I paid for my UM.

But altruism among the fandom is a rare (and beautiful) thing.

11. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

Being UK based I'm used to slightly higher prices.

If I can get a figure, shhipped, plus maybe a little extra 10-12%, given that it's otherwise unobtainable, overthe UK rrp. I'm usually happy.

I've just paid £59.99 at retail in a UK TRU for MP Roddy, thats his RRP here.

I'm sure if a scalper tried to sell one to a USA-based fan for $100, people would cry foul. Believe it or not, that's what it works out to with the current exchange rates.

Some of it (not all) comes down to simple geography and market demographics.

12. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

It's funny to see people justifying the prices scalpers charge. I suppose it's the reason they keep doing it....

I saw a person charging £150 for a loose DOTM ultra optimus.... it's £80 on the entertainer, rrp.

Personally I don't entertain scalpers, if the price is too high I just go without it. It's not like it's the end of the world.

13. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

14. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
  15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have actually spoken to a lot of the people I bought from on EBay. You know who buys this stuff?

People overseas in Asian countries, believe it or not. They pay this inflated price because they want the original which is not available in their area. As weird as that may sound.

I spoke to the owner of Image Anime in NY, and he says a lot of his walk in business is the same thing. Over there they are surrounded by KOs, so they want the real thing. Funny enough, he says all the US folks come in looking for KOs and all the Asians come in looking for the Originals.

16. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke!

News Credits:
    Irony!

17. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Don't forget about the roughly 15% that goes towards eBay and PayPal fees. The sellers are passing that on to the buyers as well.

18. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Uh, Beats me.

19. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

I used to read stories from North American fans about TFs being scalped and thought it would never happen here in the UK. Was I ever wrong.

Just looking at the prices things are being offered for on eBay and Amazon is crazy. The Generations and RTS lines in particular has been hit hard by the scalpers, Hasbro UK's distribution of these toys has been poor and fans are willing to pay the 70 ... 100 ... 150% markups.

There is so much Transformers product out there right now that it really is sad that the best current line will evade so many fans or future fans. I have no love for scalpers or how they operate but it's Hasbro UK's ineptitude that causes the problem ... it's ridiculous that such a large company has no online division.

20. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay: