Why Do Decepticons Get The Raw Deal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Dec 7, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    It seems like Hasbro/Takara are pretty lazy when creating "new" Decepticons.

It's like they have someone sitting there saying: "Lets take an Autobot, slap some blue, purple, and black paint on him with some red eyes and call him a Decepticon".

It's time for some more new Decepticon molds HasTak!!

What do you think?

2. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Kids buy more Autobots = more $$$. Hence more emphasis on Autobot designs.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, villains don't sell as well as heroes, which is why we're not as likely to see A lot of new original sculpt villains unless there's a lot of repaint/retool opportunity (I'm looking at you Seekers). It doesn't look too good for the immediate future either, because TF Prime looks like they're resigned to using a lot of Vehicon drones as bad guys.

4. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

that would mean less plastic for bumblebee molds.

5. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    YES. I just want more DOTM Decepticons.

6. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Even as a kid, i always preferred my good guys outnumbered. The GI Joe line allowed (and still allows) this through army-builders. Yet, i don't want generic army-builders (like the vehicons) to become the norm for the transformers brand. But, since i'm not Hasbro's target market and my money makes little impact in their decisions, i can only cross my fingers.

7. hordeall

hordeall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally only buy decepticons dont like most autobots

8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

We got some good ones in the Animated/2007 movie period. The ROTF decepticons had some guys that have familiar names but are so different they could be considered new characters. TF Prime has the same thing. In DOTM we got the Dreads and Sentinel if you want to consider him one.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Hmmm, I can kinda see what you mean, what with guys like Dark Skyfire, Universe Stormcloud/Darkwind/Skyfall/Overkill/Drag Strip etc but some of those are awesome figures and I'm glad we got them, even if they are repaints of pervious Autobot molds.

Generally though, it's hard to look beyond the logic of trying to appeal to the perception that most kids love good guys. I'm not saying they definitely do, but someone as HasTak must think so because their marketing strategy seems to be working out pretty well for them so far.

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure that Japanese manufacturers (not just TakTom but Bandai etc) have said that 'bad guys' traditionally don't sell as well in their markets, it could be the same in the west?

11. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Thinking about it, TFA had better Decepticon toys.

Thinking about it, TFA was well-loved by the fandom. And got cancelled.

To be a succesful Transformers franchise (and that includes G1), you have to appeal to as many kids as possible. Which means lots of Bumblebees and Optimus Primes.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Just look at the evidence we have - leader class movie toys are produced in lower quantities than, say, deluxes as they take up more shelf space and are obviously more expensive =/= harder to sell. Someone somewhere decided that for DotM we would get 3 Autobots and no Decepticons (yes I've seen the movie, Sentinel is sold as an Autobot :p ). Go figure right?

And look how many times voyager Prime has been repacked or repainted? Yet Megatron is pretty scarce in some places whilst Prime clogs the place up.

13. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I don't get what you're all saying. Look at Airachnid: we all thought she was gonna be Black Arachnia reborn but it turns out she's a totally new character. Look at Knockout and Breakdown.

As far as distribution goes I get your point. Just look at the fact that none of the Prime characters I mentioned are out. And the Dreads are only complete in cyberverse.

But there are new decepticons being designed. They're just not getting the push we want.

14. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. I love the idea of having more Decepticons in the DOTM line but it'ls probably not going to happen. All the Autobots get everything and that saddens me as a Decepticon fan. Classics though kind of balances both factions which is another thing I like about that line.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Looking at my collection display, it does only seem to be figures in the classics aesthetic where Autobots vastly outnumber Decepticons. Generally TF toys are made from on-screen characters and for most lines, it's either fairly even (Animated) or weighted in favour of the 'Cons (movies).

Maybe we should be talking about the lack of classics-style Decepticons instead, to make it a more focused and relevant discussion.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Should be easy enough to give us the pink Bumblebee from DotM. Best of both worlds then.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    You tempt me!!!!

18. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, I collect a lot of classics figures and I have to disagree with you on this at least on the classics line.

Here are my argueements as of late:
    - Thunderwing
    - Lugnut
    - Thunderwing
    - Lockdown
    - Bludgeon
    - Darkmount (even though I don't like this mold that much)
    - Frenzy / Rumble in Japan

Then of course, as you mentioned, you get the repaints. But that is the same thing for the Autobots. Usually a mold gets 2 or 3 repaints into different characters.

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Decepticons seem to be doing better then Predacons these days.

But I don't think they are getting lazy with them, just look at the TF Prime Soundwave figure. I still don't know how they pull that off with it being that close to the show model.

20. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Just how typical good vs bad guy shows roll. More good guys and they get more focus because the villains only show up when its time to do evil, while good guys are actually shown having normal lives.

So kids like good guys more (and I can't say I disapprove, cause kids that like evil genocidal robots bent on killing their own species doesn't support much of a positive attitude) and they sell more.

How it's been since in the 80s with G1 (16 something Autobots to like 8 or so cons). Unlikely to change.