Why do Bayverse cybertronians sexually reproduce?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Vulcan, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

In the movie, we know there are males and females, but The All-Spark can grant life directly, so why have sexes. Even if you say it's to cut the umbilical cord, they are still dependent on the energon it produces, they can never be trully free of it, even if they can sexually reproduce.

2. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    o_O 

3. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

How do we know the hatchling eggs aren't just grown?

4. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    They didn't really specify the cube is the only source, just a really strong source, the whole plot of the second movie was to harvest the equivalent energy from the sun.

5. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

We know that the cube grants them life, and can not only sustain that life, but also repair and revive it.

Secondly, the cube has a finite amount of energy, which must be replensihed over time. The only source of energy capable of "recharging" the cube is a star.

Also, there is a difference between pure energon, and what you could call synthetic energon.

If they were using the harvester for the purpose of simply manufacturing energon to refuel themselves, then the cube would not be needed. If they were trying to rebuild Cybertron, the cube still would not be needed, because energon is what is required, be it raw or synthetically produced.

As for the hatchlings, I believe they are more or less created as an incubated drone whose growth is accelerated and sustained by energon. I don't believe that all Cybertronians were hatchlings. The feral bots were formed instantly in the movie by the All Spark due to it's tremendous amount of power. The hatchlings seem to be something that they create as a sort of replacement.

As for the gender of the robots, I believe that this is something chosen by the cube, not the transformers themselves.

6. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I feel this is virtually awkward.......

7. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Transformers have had two sexes in just about every TF continuity. It's not exclusive to Bayformers.
    In fact the movies have the least amount of female Autobots shown.
    Least as in length of time in the movie.

8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I think you're arguing a point no one here was concerned with or even mentioned.

I've always thought it would be fascinating if they essentially WERE all "hatchlings" at some point and grew in size from there.

In my mind I've imagined that it could easily explain their feeding on metal like Brains is seen doing in TF:D otM and their "hair."

The amount and types of consumed materials would over time dictate the Cybertronian's size and composition, with extraneous and less useful materials extruded as waste or employed decoratively as "hair," possibly even for "peacocking."

As for their actual reproduction, we do at the very least know that at least one of them secretes COPIOUS amounts of "lubricant" from his crotch region, lol.

;) 

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Because having sex is fun.

10. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm not arguing anything. But reading what the OP said gave me the impression they were not aware male/female Transformers were in other series as well.
    I mean to ask why male/female TF's are in Bayformers is to ask that question for all of the continuities, really.

11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Fair enough, but this is the movie forum and not the general TF forum. The question just seemed specific to this continuity rather than ignorant of the historical inclusion of the female gender within the franchise.

12. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

Yes, but there was usually no need for gender in any of those continuities either. In IDW, Jiaxus made Arcee because he was toying with introducing gender into the cybertronians; and Arcee showed up in the G1 comics because a group of angry feminists thought that the lack of any females was the result of the Autobots being sexist. In both cases, The "female" could not sexually reproduce, neither could the "males".

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They don't.

14. Driller

Driller Cybertronian wildlife

lol

lololololololol damn right!

15. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

Why were there females and where did the hatchlings come from?

16. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

Can't argue there.

17. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    We don't really know lore-wise. Female Transformers as far as we know are usually just there. Transformers as robots don't truly have gender, so the basis for determining "male" and "female" sexes are based on personality and such.

Hatchlings come from the AllSpark. There's no evidence to prove that Cybertronians actually give birth.

18. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

Far as things go Hasbro are claiming TF's are non-gendered/genderless in functionality and femme and mech are just frame types not actual genders like female and male.

Bay said somewhere at some point in the '07 movie, when they still had Arcee in what turned into Ironhide's role, the bots were going to explain their naming system (something about their real names not translating so what they gave were approximations) and the fact that they didn't actually have genders, they just chose to sound/act male or female based on personal choice, the fit to their personality and general body shape to make relations with humans (a strongly gender driven species and society) easier... you can see why they dropped it all.

The hatchlings thing seems to stem from the Allspark and energon. It could easily be just sparks from the Allspark introduced to the pods that contain a steady supply of energon and liquid metals or nanities or something that then forms a frame over time around the spark. No ACTUAL reproduction on the bots part. That's just my rambling guess since we don't have much solid stuff to go on.

19. JorfimusPrime

JorfimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As everyone else has said, there is no evidence that they reproduce sexually. And as for having genders, both in the movie continuity, and in others, I think it's really just because that's how humans grasp things. Obviously robots are technically non-gendered/genderless. But the thing is, people can understand gender. It makes the characters easier to identify with. Think about it: You call C3-PO "he," yes? But that's only because his personality and vocal style fits with a male archetype. It's the same thing with Transformers. Their personalities, voices, etc. fit with particular archetypes, and as such they are classified as male and female with no biological basis.

It's the same thing with Knockout. Hasbro says he's not gay because robots don't have gender or sexual orientations. But fans classify him as ambiguously gay (TV Tropes has ruined my vocabulary) because his mannerisms and manner of speech fit with the stereotypical archetype of a gay male.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Transformers don't have a biological sex (unless it's Devastator or "Dickbot the Blender Guy"). But they do have a gender, which corresponds to what they identify with -- just like with humans, who can identify as male or female, except they (Transformers) don't have the biology to contradict their identities.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Somewhere in the BayVerse there's Transformers 'hubba hubba' going on...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.