Why didn't they use the movie bots in s2 first?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gaastra, May 7, 2010.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 86 movie had a bunch of new transformers like like kup and hot rod who are in most of movie. When kids went to see the film they wanted to see the ones they saw on tv. They never saw these new transformers. The movie poster had all the new transformers and none of the classic ones. (why was prime not on the poster?)

What i want to know is why was kup, hot rod and othere not put in the show before the movie came out like the protectibots were?
    Kids would know who they were before the film and it would of helped the movie. The film was in the works around s2 so couldn't they have made an episode at the end of s2? Kids would have saw the ads and go “Hey blur is in the movie!” and not “Who are those guys?”

2. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    The purpose of the movie was to sell new toys. New toys meant new characters.

Most TFs in the G1 cartoon were so two dimensional it hardly made a difference.

To put it another way, what's a more visible (and therefore profitable) way to introduce new characters- a 22 minute episode of a Saturday morning cartoon, or a feature length theatrical movie?

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The people who made the movie were not the same people who made the cartoon. The movie was already in production before the second season of the cartoon came around. The question that usually gets asked is, "Why weren't guys like the Stunticons/Aerialbots/other late Season 2 characters in the movie?" Same reason.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Exactly what Ikkstakk said.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes, that's the truth of it.

The timeskip is a wonderful thing in that respect because it lets them get introduced in a whole bunch of stories we never got to see. It's not like they magically turned up one day. Well, that's exactly what happened from our perspective, but at least there was some space to make it happen.

6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Such a shame they didn't do a series of movies in the same style and of the same quality rather than that mostly awful cartoon.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought there should have been one episode that featured some of the movie cast. Maybe Magnus, Kup & Blurr. Prime & buds go to Cybertron & meet some of the resistance (movie guys). Leave Hot Rod/Arcee/Springer to be introduced in the movie. I think it would have helped kids more accept the new characters. While yes, the movie was made while S2 was being made but by the time they were introducing Airielbots/Stunticons, the movie designs were done so they could have put them in no problem.

8. Skullman

Skullman Dr. Wily's 32nd Robot

I thought that the movie was just a crossover from G1 into the next generation, but I could very well be wrong.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This is why I loved the UK Marvel TF comics as we got introduced to Kup, Hotrod, Blurr, Springer, etc in the run-up to the movie hitting cinemas.
    Of course events in the comics didn't exactly end up with the movie events because Unicron snuck up early, but it was still nice to have met Ultra Magnus and co beforehand, even if they weren't exactly like their onscreen counterparts.