Why didn't they have the final battle in Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Team Jetfire, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    This has probably been addressed many times before when the Movie was first released and again when the DVD came out, but I just watched the movie again and questioned why the movie makers needed to make up a fake city to stage the final battle, when Vegas would have been brilliant.

Is Vegas a hard place to make movies?

It is almost like they took the real landmark of the Hover Dam and placed it in a unreal world (with Mission city etc…)

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They could be saving Vegas for a battle in one of the sequels. It was in the leaked treatment that we saw a while back, so it is a possibility, though we've been told that they won't be using that treatment for the movie. I'm actually hoping that the one they use isn't all that different fron the treatment we saw, as it was pretty good, and would make for a really good movie, imo. That and Vegas could have been out of their reach fund wise. It would have also been kinda tricky to film a battle sequence between giant robots there, though it would be interesting to see the bots in that setting.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Why would we want Vegas anyway? Becuase of the bright lights? Or becuase in some sick way you want to see strippers fly in the air along with the explosions?!? huh? huh? Do ya?!

Seriously though, there's tons of better cities that they could film battles in. If they have a water based Tf in the sequel, the Statue of Liberty would be awesome in a battle. Seeing a Decepticon grab the Eiffel tower and swing it would also be awesome.

4. Michael_Prime_2K7

Michael_Prime_2K7 The Crafty One

:thumbs2: I probably would have gotten a bigger kick out of the movie if they did it in the following cities:

East L.A.
    South Central L.A.
    Compton
    Crenshaw
    Some parts of Inglewood
    & Oakland

I wonder how the fight would have gone if the final battle in either one of them.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Wu-Tang Clan answered this question before it was asked, 36 Chambers Of Zen-style:

Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

6. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Autobot-Decepticon battle with the Statue of Liberty in the backdrop. I like.

7. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't know about Vegas, but why did they make up a city period? I have wondered this... I've also wondered if they could have come up with a worse name for said city. The answer to the latter is no.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're complaining about 'realism', in terms of a ficticious location in a movie about giant alien robots?

9. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I know you're probably used to a bunch of "Bay raped my childhood" etc bullshit on these boards, but I assure you I'm hardly complaining.

I thought this was a board for discussion, no? I asked a question. Why even bother make up a city when you could easily call whatever setting by an actual name. Then I made a statement... I think Mission City is a dumb name.

Is that OK with you?

10. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Because having a fake city is easier to relate to all audiences, instead of having all marvel heroes in New York, which leaves the rest of the world without any action.

Or maybe they just didn't want to.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Probably because it's much easier (and a hell of a lot cheaper) to shut down a few streets in LA for filming, blue tarps & explosions than it is to do on the Vegas strip. Because, afterall, why bother using Vegas at all *unless* you're going to use the strip.

That, and it probably would have been murder for the CG artists to render, create, mimic, etc. that amount of Vegas reflective light - even during the day. It was probably a lot easier to do with bunches of grey buildings instead - hencefortth "Mission City" is created.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

plus all those ad's and company logo's they would have to PAY to get permission to use, too, wouldn't they?

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    because bay already did a scene in vegas, wait for it...

...when he did con air.

:D 

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Didn't somebody already do that Con Air joke back in 2005 when Michael Bay was announced as director? Somebody saying Bay was being blamed for movies he had nothing to do with?

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Bah! I'd kill if the Transformers' final battle was in Detroit. I'd so be there for that scene:

Me: OMG! The Decepticons destroyed the Ford plant, those bastards!