Why didn't Armada/Energon use realistic cars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kittie Rose, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

One thing that annoys me a little with Armada/Energon is that very few of the vehicles resembled real world vehicles. Many of them had a notable "alien" touch(like Prime's weird Smokestacks). Why is this? I think it's one reason why UT hasn't become as Iconic as G1 was way back when.

This kind of puts me off collecting some of the toys even though I really like the aesthetic the robot modes have.

2. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

because you touch yourself at night.

Or maybe it was marketing surveys on kids.

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armada sideswipe and hot shot were based on real cars, scavenger and hoist were very realistic i thought. being that energon jumped 10 years into the future i thought they did a decent job of creating futuristic but realistic vehicles. Also take a look at ALL of g1 not just the first year, and youll see that mosy of these guys arent that bad

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Going by recollections from Aaron's posts and past Hasbro panels...

The main reason is that resemblence to any existing vehicles brings the risk of having to acquire the license to that design. I recall RiD being the first time this was invoked in the modern lines, with Hasbro having to pay for Sideburn's look, and painting over X-Brawn's headlights to avoid another license. This was not a case for the Car Robots release, because those laws work differently in Japan. During Armada, it's my own hypothesis that those troubles were outright avoided wherever possible, resulting in alien-quirked realistic vehicles. Of course there are exceptions (eg: Sideswipe).

Alternators are a seperate case, in that they both aren't the main line and have realism as an advertised feature. Even in that example, it's been made known that at least one Alternator design was shot down by a car company for "breaking the lines" of their automobile due to smoothed parts of the car body having extra lines to facilitate splitting.

Also, I believe that Energon did not have any of the "we must disguise ourselves" concepts that are present in the Earth Planet Cybertron toys. Its storyline didn't really call for many realistic altmodes.

5. AlphaTrion23

AlphaTrion23 Banned

I like that most girls do.

It's because of licensing. Not to mention that real-world cars are pretty boring. There isn't much you can do with them in terms of play value. on the otherhand, most of the cars are inspired by actual vehicles, but with modifications. Kids liked it just fine and the trilogy is their iconic era, as well as mine.

And G1 is only iconic per opinion, it really can't stand on its own merits any more. Most of it's fans refuse to even admit its obvious flaws. The ones who do move on and become good fans, the rest sign up to complain about the movie.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Forgot to mention the point that's been said already:

G1 only maintained realism for the openings years where it used Diaclone and Microman designs. (Noun)Masters onwards were very sci-fi.

7. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

G1 pierced the mainstream better at the time than Aramda/Energon/UT did. I don't know why people debate this - G1 TFs were practically everywhere. Watching the G1 TV Spots on the Armada game really remind me of quite how rampant it was.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thats probably the main reason right there.

Plus, Cybertron had Hot Shot, Crosswise, Red Alert and Downshift all *loosely* based on real cars.

9. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Can't. Licensing fees are extremly expensive. And they can only do a real car if the company that owns it okays it. Thus why Sideswipe/Sunstreaker is a Dodge. GM licensed the car design to Hasbro. Lamborghini didn't want to/wanted too much money.

EDIT: Shit, I hit POST on this way too late.

10. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Yes, licenses are a problem today, and considering final prices too.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Actually, someone asked Hasbro about Sideswipe at OTFCC '04 and they said they didn't even ask Lamborghini. They said they had a good relationship with Dodge ( due to RID Sideburn ), and just picked a character that fit the car.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Lamborghini is entirely out of the question anyway (does TFW have a FAQ on this stuff?) because it's part of Volkswagen. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini#Ownership)

And just to throw my two cents in, I rather like that the so-called "Unicron Trilogy" is creative and not restricted to licensed or "realistic" cars. Some of them (Cybertron in particular) are really creative and terrific toys.

Last point: lay off the G1 Kool-Aid. No offense - I mean, I love G1, I have G1 toys, I love G1 references in the new lines, I love Alternators in part b/c it's G1 redux, and Classics is gonna rock hard...but the new stuff (Cybertron in particular) rocks pretty hard too.

13. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I read it was because it would be too difficult to make realistic designs transform in a variety of ways. So the vehicle modes were weird to make transformation better. Or something.

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I thought I destroyed those tapes...

15. Spark

Spark General Electric

Energon Hot Shot is actually nearly a dead ringer for the same Jaguar that the upcoming Alternator Ravage is based on, at least.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Because Roadbots are doing it...and if Roadbots jump of a cliff would you?

I agree with all that was said, but think it could be a design thing too. If the designs had zero flexibility on one of the molds, it would limit what they could do for the robot mode.

But I thing EVAC is a dead ringer for a Helicopter (Not sure which one though)

Also haven’t you ever wondered why the alternators don’t have anything but an engine gun?

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure we pegged him as an Aston Martin.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Always thought it was to give them that cutesy anime look to help compete with Pokemon at the time. I can't make fun tho, I loved Armada

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

DaimlerChrysler owns Dodge, not GM.

20. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Pokemon really wasn't relevent in 2002, much less in 2006 (speaking to the anti Sigma Six Joe people reading). By and large, the brand was pretty well done by that point.

Armada and Energon were first and foremost designed as toys, therefore, things like realistic vehicle modes and such were put a lower priority than gimmicks and features.

'Cause y'know, these are made for kids (GASP!)