why didn’t michael bay give the fans what they wanted?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by super skrull, Jul 23, 2011.

1. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Funny, I can't recall myself ever saying I wanted them to be in the films. I got plenty from the films. (I'm only speaking for myself.)

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because what the fans want isn't necessarily what would make the most money for a wider audience. He's making Transformers movies for everyone to see, not ridiculous ideas only fans would like. Dinobots and Unicron wouldn't really make any sense.

Honestly I actually respect him in a way for not caring what the fans say sometimes and just doing his own ideas.

3. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Wrong time to ask that question. :(  Should have waited about 5 years to ask that to be safe from the swarm of piranha.

4. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

THIS.

Not to mention Hatchet who looked like a giant robotic lion, Devastator, Ravage, alot of the Decepticons' appearances are based off of actual animals, I don't see a reason to incorporate some saurian elements into the robot designs. Hell, Starscream practically has the leg design of a theropod dinosaur.

I could just imagine an APC speeding down a street, and see it transform into a Triceratops charging at full speed into a Decepticon.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    1) Because Bay initially hated TF's until he re-made them into what he liked

2) Ultimately, he gave fans what the wanted in giving Megatron a better face / head.

But make no mistake- these films weren't for the fans.

6. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'm glad. Dinobots are a dumb idea... never liked them. Unicron is too much for a real world movie. Cartoon only.

7. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    /Thread

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    He did listen to the fans. I'm a fan and I said I didn't want Dinobots or Unicron in the movies and he listened. Long live Michael Bay!

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Because believe it or not, OP, not all "fans" want the same thing. There's only so much you can cram into a 2.5 hour movie (or even a trilogy). Some stuff made it, but some stuff didn't. So did Michael Bay "give the fans what they wanted"? YES. But at the same time, did Michael Bay "give the fans what they wanted"? NO. You can argue it either way, with a ton of evidence on both sides. But what exactly do "fans" want, hmm? Is that even a concept that can be narrowed down and said with absolute 100% certainty by all parties? NOT. AT. ALL.

But I reiterate: NOT ALL 'FANS' WANT THE SAME THING.

10. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    One part that I think people forget sometimes is that sometimes what the fans want isn't what the general public would want... or honestly, what studios think the general public wants, based on surveys and screenings.

I think the studios DO have to temper what the fans want with what the general movie going public will accept, if only because the die hard fans can't buy enough tickets to equal out a budget. I remember hearing a lot of people around TF1 who wanted more characters in the movie, which would have been too expensive for one and would have limited the screentime for each of the 'Bots even more.

Given that, at one point in time, studios higher ups didn't think the general public would embrace the idea of the Autobots as characters, to the point the Autobots wouldn't even have spoken originally, shows how far that goes. I personally think there's enough love for the Dinobots that they would have worked in the movie, but probably some studio exec tried to justify his salary by saying, "Oh, robot dinosaurs won't work." As for Unicron, just remember that in the Fantastic Four movie, the studios decided to make Galactus a giant cloud, because people "wouldn't buy the giant man"(which was really one of the smallest problems with FF2, but that's way off topic). Personally, I'd have an easier time buying the Dinobots, especially given the Cybertronian history on Earth, than I would Unicron.

11. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    This. Thread over :drunk 

12. OptimusPancake

OptimusPancake Prime's Breakfest Chef

In my opinion, the movie was awesome and I loved it. Sure I didnt like how they designed Wheeljack and sure Shockwave was underused, but you know what? IT WAS AN EPIC FILM!!!!

13. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Because he gave us nearly everything else?

14. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    michael bay has this giant thing called his EGO...it talks to him while he sleeps and eats and does all the other things he does...and basically it says fuck the world...make movies with BIG EXPLOSIONS...and

act like you love transformers...when doing interviews with the reporters and such...

DID anyone else think he looked like a self deprecated fool with that decepticon shirt on during a interview in 2007?

He actually tried to carry on this casual aloof attitude like he has been a transformers fan FOREVER...and i am michael bay so LOVE ME...

freaking hate that tool.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If Micheal Bay was giving fans what they wanted then I want to know who asked for Decepticons so weak that humans could kill them?

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Because it's not about what the fans want. And I'm not saying that as an insult, but a fact. Contrary to popular belief, we, the fans, make up maybe- MAYBE a quarter of the movie going audience. We're are a minority, and the minority is not who the movie makers want to please. It's the majority. The dinobots are far to cornball for a live action movie, and even if he put them in, we would still complain. And just how many accusations would Bay get of ripping off Jurassic Park or some shit like that? No. It doesn't work. They've already given a reason as to why no Unicron I think, and here's what I think there reason was: Unicrons to big.
    For a CGI character, here's an idea of what it would take: Devastator, the ROTF Devastator, blew up one of their computers. Unicron is to much to handle. And even if they could handle it, I wouldn't want them too.

18. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

They werent needed, they wouldnt make sense, fans will never be happy, better without them, if they were used then the fans would find something to whine about with them anyway.

19. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dinobots would be sooooooo stupid.

even ppl who just like the movies and not hardcore fans would think its stupid.

be like land before time meets terminator.

dumb idea, sorry.

unicron whatever.

20. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If he honestly went through with that and topped it off by saying "Well the fans wanted it so....", it still would have been nitpicked to shit and wouldn't of been enough for anyone.