Why Did We Only Get One G1 Reissue In The Classics/Universe Line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 19, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Why did we only get one G1 reissue (Soundwave) in the classics line? Why did Hasbro stop there? Why did they choose Soundwave?

THANKS for posting!!!

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We got Prime but I would not expect any others, Takara Encore line is where they will be at.

3. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    that's right.....i forgot we just recently got Prime too. Why would they only release two of them? I can understand Prime because he is for the 25th anniversary but, Soundwave was totally random.

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G1 Soundwave is one of the most popular G1 toys ever and fans had been clamoring for a reissue for years. His selection was anything but random.

5. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    They rereleased Soundwave because he is popular but they didn't want to give him a new mold. (Not much else you can do with a robot that transforms into a rectangle, anyway.)

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Because modern molds far outsell reissues, that's why.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hard to say exactly why there was only one G1 reissue in the first Classics line, as it's probably a multi-factor reason. Maybe they didn't expect much of a market for additional G1 reissues, given the performance of the Commemorative series. Maybe retailers didn't want any additional G1 reissues; keep in mind that Hasbro can produce whatever figures they want, but if retailers say "no thanks", it's not getting out there (eg - Universe Seacons). There's likely a lot of goings-on behind the scenes that consumers don't see which determine what toys will get released.

As far as the release of Soundwave, it makes sense for me. Logically, the best figures to reissue would be those characters/toys that are the most recognizable and could draw in the biggest potential market; not just collectors, but casual buyers. Right there, that narrows the potential reissues down to a handful of characters that casual buyers and members of the general public might recognize. Going with molds that are still available and figures that actually could be reissued (ie - Hasbro can't reissue Megatron) narrows the options even further. Of the most iconic characters that could actually be reissued (Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Starscream, Ultra Magnus and Hot Rod, IMO), Soundwave is probably the only one that has yet to be reissued in the US. Because Soundwave hadn't come out in the US before, the potential market would likely be larger, as one wouldn't have as many collectors skipping it because they have a previous US release.

8. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. A classics line wouldn't be a classics line without a soundwave in it....of course I think most people use the takara mp3 version....

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Because the re-issue market wasn't proving viable in the US. Remember Hasbro tried, and the line failed abysmally, despite Takara's succes with their line, the commemorative line ended up on clearance and not moving even then in the USA. Soundblaster in Soundwaves colors was a bone tossed out to fans who desperately wanted the Soundwave figure, and a way for them to do a character that they have such a hard time updating. Soundwave was already done by Takara for their encore line and it allowed them to offer an exclusive figure at the same time, so they had minimal cost involvement and got to offer an exclusive which stores like. Additionally, there was quite a bit of clamoring for Soundwave at the time on the boards, so it was a logical choice for the Classics filler line. Encore alone seems to be just right for providing figures to all interested parties, which is clearly a very specialized niche market.

In addition, as mentioned, your premise is false, as 25th Optimus is also G1. Lastly, as a matter of personal opinion, for me G1 toys are the past, I'd rather see new figures of classic characters, like Classics has been doing then truly stagnating by offering the figures from 30+ years ago yet again. (Since most of them are Diaclone molds from years before Transformers existed.)

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    /Thread.

11. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I was under the impression he was originally to be released as part of the next wave of TRU Commerative Reissue Series (wave 10, I think?), but when that line was discontinued they threw him under the "Classics" label... If nothing else, the timing of his release made it seem that way to me.

//shrug

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    what other G1 toy could they reuse?

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Nope, those would've been Ramjet, Trailbreaker, Thrust and Ironhide.

14. imwthstpd

imwthstpd that crazy fanboy

News Credits:
    I thought that soundwave waz a toys r us exclusive

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Which has what exactly to do with him being a "Classics" toy or not?

16. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Trailbreaker was on deck?? Son of a...

17. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    TRU reissue Soundwave is part of the "Commemorative Series", which started back in 2002 by Hasbro and TRU. To me, that was a different line and has nothing to do with Classics/Universe.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro reissue history (as my biased eyes saw it)

Optimus Prime (about $40) - sold insanely well, couldn't hardly find them anywhere
    Hot Rod/Rodimus Major (about $18) - sold very well
    Ultra Magnus (about $40) - a bit of a shelf-warmer
    Starscream ($30-$35) - sold strongly
    Powermaster Prime/God Ginrai (about $50) - a bit of a shelf warmer
    Soundwave w/Ravage & Laserbeak (about $30) - sold strongly and gone quick.

All others ($30-$40) - anywhere between "sells slowly, but sells" (Prowl, Jazz, Skywarp) to "massive shelf-warming" (Ricochet)

Conclusion: Popular iconic character reissues sell well when not pumped up to insane prices. Seems that's the lesson Hasbro has used for reissues past 2005 (only Soundwave and Prime thus far, though the $70 25th anniversary Prime pack may be a bit much for some consumers)

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't forget the "dump them on Kaybee" and "dump them on Hasbro Toy Shop" strategies used for Sideswipe and Astrotrain respectively. Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

Also, Astrotrain should have been released in the western colors.

20. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Nope, he was sold in Classics-esque packaging with a "Commemorative Edition" moniker.

Well, those were production runs that had already been produced when TRU decided to axe the Commemorative Series line. So Hasbro had to dump them SOMEWHERE.