Why did Thundercracker stop talking halfway thru G1 Season 2?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 1984forever, Jun 12, 2011.

1. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Thundercracker was voiced by John Stephenson on the g1 sunbow cartoons season 1 and some of season 2. In the late season 2 episode War Dawn, he's voiced by Wally Burr who makes him sound like John Wayne. So I figured maybe John Stephenson wasn't available, but then I noticed that Thundercracker made many appearances in season 2, but he didn't say anything. Skywarp, who was standing right beside him, speaks but Thundercracker doesn't.

So what happened to John Stephenson? Did he leave for a new job, get fired or die?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Well, he voiced Kup in the later series, so he can't have been on bad terms or anything. Funny thing is, he voices Alpha Trion in some of his appearances, but not in War Dawn.

Best guess is he was ill or something for those recording sessions. He also did not do the Movie. He was a guest at Botcon 2001, maybe a record is archived somewhere of a panel he did that might shed some light on this?

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the simpler answer is that they had all these new toys to sell, and with three new jets who filled exactly the same role as Skywarp and Thundercracker as the dim, quip-happy thugs, those two just got shoved off the side pretty harshly. Out of the second half of season 2, Thundercracker has speaking roles in only "Triple Takeover" and "War Dawn", but Skywarp fares only a tiny bit better with speaking roles in just "The Golden Lagoon", "War Dawn", "Starscream's Brigade" and "BOT". And his greater presence is almost certainly down to nothing more than Frank Welker's simple availability - he was going to be in the studio that day ANYWAY, so if they required a Decepticon to drop some exposition or act in a generic role (and that's what nearly all of those instances were), then they could have Frank do it as Skywarp, rather than pay another actor who might not have been there otherwise (for example, ANY jet could have done Skywarp's fly-by role in "B.O.T.", but none of the other non-Starscream jets' actors were in the principal cast for that episode, so the incidental role got filled by someone who was already going to be there).

That said, Stephenson's absence for "War Dawn" does seem to be a subject that merits discussion, since his pre-existing character of Alpha Trion was in the script as well, but was voiced by Corey Burton in the episode. I've suspected that this is a product of someone (Burr?) changing their minds and specifically opting for a younger actor to voice Trion for this episode, since the character is much younger in it, and as a consequence, Stephenson would have been left with only ONE LINE as Thundercracker, but would have been paid a full session fee, which seems pretty non-viable (because that's how voice acting works - it's not per line, or per hour, it's per *session*). But since the script's first act was specifically built around the Aerialbots admiring the original Decepticon jets, Thundercracker *needed* to be in it, and so, Wally Burr did a brief stand-in.

But then, I also think about this sort of thing a bit much.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Becuase they didn't write him being not sure of the Decepticon Cause or that pity/dislikement he has for humans or being who can't fly.

If they had just wrote him like that he would have been more popular than Starscream. 8sigh* So much waste,

5. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Yeah, I read wikipedia looking for an answer about a year ago and I don't remember seeing anything about him voicing Kup. I read it again and well, there it is.

Stephenson also did Huffer's voice. In "Blaster Blues" Huffer talks, but Thundercracker doesn't say anything despite being in several scenes with Starscream and Megatron.