Why did they use the songs they used during the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tycho, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Anyone notice that the soundtrack choices have nothing to do with the movie?

I just considered that. Now I really like the music and downloaded 3 of the songs from i-Tunes (Disturbed, Linkin Park, The Used) - but they have nothing to do with the movie really.

"What I've Done" doesn't even apply to ANY Autobot, as it was Sam who destroyed Megatron, and he wouldn't regret THAT.

"Pretty Handsome Awkward?" What the heck do those lyrics mean under any circumstance?

Maybe, "This Moment" could be stretched to say it means something. If BumbleBee and Barricade had a rematch during the movie, I could see that theme being used.

But in contrast:

Optimus Prime has "The Touch."

Decepticons are "Instruments of Destruction."

Hot Rod represents, "This Generation, fighting for our lives" in "Nothing's Gonna Stand In Our Way," and "Hunger" and the young will "Dare."

So, while I love Linkin Park and Disturbed, I don't see what they have to do with the movie? If Michael Bay wanted a modern rock soundtrack, couldn't he have approached Linkin Park with some of Don Murphy and Steven Spielberg's money and asked them to write a song specific to Transformers?

(sung to "Crawling")

"Transforming all these gears
    these wheels don't always lock
    after war for thousands years
    parts are out of stock...."

- yeah, something like that.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Don't know... I thought all the songs were cool. They necessarily don't have to be songs strictly for the characters, except for Goo-Goo Dolls' "Hold On Before It's Too Late" as Sam's and Mikaela's theme. Michael Bay probably thought those songs were so cool to be played in the background of certain scenes. That's my take on the soundtrack.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Soundtrack shouldve been more rock; I prefer the 86 track better

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Soundtracks song don't have to always fit the story, writing new songs would be extremely expensive. Plus, some of these songs will become hits, and it's obvious that you want these year's hits into your movie. It's obvious.

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1.Pretty Handsome Awkward - Great song for the BB/Barricade chase scene. Fast paced rock tune.

2.What I've done - Song on the radio when Sam drops off Mikela. LP fits well there.

3.Before It's Too Late - Kissy scene song. Written for those scenes.

4.Doomsday Clock - Song in the "I'll drive, you shoot" scene. Another hard rock tune during an action scene.

5.This Moment - Closing Credits. The best song on the soundtrack that didn't make in intop the film.

The rest are your "inspired by the movie" songs that didn't make it into the actual
    movie

I'd say the songs are represented well in the movie.
    Not quite as well as "Last Action Hero" but pretty well, all the same.

I would have like some of the BB songs to make the soundtrack (Baby Come Back)

6. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm writing my first novel - with a movie in mind. It's based on a fictional story that I fleshed out from a dream I had, thus it was very visual.

I write better to music. It helps me put passion into my scenes - be it passion in the usual sense of the word, or passion for action, violence, etc.

So I created a soundtrack for my story if you will - with a lot of rock as a matter of fact - as that's my favorite kind of music as well. But I chose songs that could be related to my story. Some of them were older 90's tunes or something even from the '80's.

That works so much better for me than trying to pander to the most recent modern hits. - It's just a comment. I'm not more right or wrong and neither is Michael Bay. But this is my opinion.

I'm curious what more people think. Thanks for your responses! Keep them coming.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    So what you're saying is, by contrast, the original G1 characters had bad 80s songs?

I guess that's an argument.

8. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Uh, Transformers - The Album does have rock music in it (probably not the kind your looking for though), only its the rock music of the now-age, completely different from that of the eighties. And as others have said, most soundtracks do not have songs that have anything to do with the film, with the exception of character or movie themes.

And most songs that end up on soundtracks are usually from bands that are popular at the moment. I mean, What I've Done, This Moment, and Pretty Handsome Awkward has nothing to do with whatever TF has presented in the film, their songs that mesh well with the movie nevertheless.

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

What I've Done doesn't fit lyrically, but musically it's a beautiful fit. Those opening notes are such an integral part of that ending scene with Prime doing his little speech that I can't hear the song without seeing Prime standing there, speechifying.

This Moment SHOULD have been one of the battle songs. It probably fits better than any of the songs that were used during the movie both lyrically AND musically. Disturbed always sounds like beating shit up, and the lyrics are just plain mean on this one.

Doomsday Clock I have to admit, is catchy, and actually fits well where it was used in the movie. I think Mikela made the decision that it's now or never, and she's not going to let the human race go down without throwing in her best effort. She's essentially racing against the clock.

Awkward stupid hand-sew retard lyrics has horrible lyrics, and makes little sense in that capacity. But that Barricade/Bumblebee chase wouldn't be what it is without that rhythm behind it, driving the scene forward. So, I'll forgive the ridiculous lyrics. Boys and girls, writing lyrics on a napkin you found on the floor in the bar when you were just coming to after passing out from a good party isn't a good idea. Try to keep that in mind in the future.

That hip-hoppy electronica mess that Bumblebee uses to intro himself when he's doing the shadow-boxing thing in the alley is a horrible song, and can't be forgiven for any reason. Not just for being on this soundtrack, but for existing.

And then there are the songs that don't even get referenced in the movie. No clue what they're doing on the Soundtrack other than to fill time and track space. Except for Mutemath's theme. That exists purely to torture anyone with a sense of rhythm or a sense of harmony.

I've pretty much just got it stuck permanently to repeat the Disturbed track and leave it at that.

10. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't anyone get confused here:

I like Disturbed and Linkin Park and own several of their CDs. That's not the issue.

The song by The Used is cool too, even if lyrically it makes no sense.

Lyrics are the issue however, and I like to see the lyrics fit the moment.

I think it time-dates the movie to just use what's popular at this particular moment (no pun intended with Disturbed's song).

I hope I can sell my work (fiction, but not sci-fi) and steer it towards a movie deal actually. However, I'm seeking to retain some of those directive rights by continuing as an associate producer with any film based on my work.

While I'm writing, I'm using temp tracks to help me inject the feeling into my scenes and fight sequences, etc. So when all is getting settled, I want to contact the bands I'm utilizing and see if

1) I can buy the rights to use their music in the piece for specific scenes (some U2, Saliva, etc.)

or

2) I can pay these bands to check out the work in its novel form, and write new music specifically (lyrically) applicable to whatever scene we're talking about.

When you get a movie funded (and might I remind you that Transformers was funded by Steven Spielberg, Don Murphy, Michael Bay, and more - and they're not poor), you can use money to BUY what you need. Thus they could have taken the script or raw footage, possibly both, to Linkin Park and asked them if they wanted to "do something for this scene?" It's business. Yes you PAY THEM. And yes, if they like the project, want to make more money, or both, they come on board and join the creative process.

But The Used has a great track and sound, but also makes no sense. That's talent that could be channeled some more. That's what I'm saying.

Hey Disturbed: how much will it cost you to write a song about Megatron tearing up the place?

"C'Mon Getcha Down with the AllSpark
    Ya Gonna Get Killed
    Unless Ya Give Me the AllSpark"

Whatever - I'm obviously not a songwriter (the above would be sung to "Down With The Sickness") - but they can do a totally new song.

If you get a major movie financed (like Transformers) you have the spreading-around-money to pay some popular bands to give you really applicable tunes.

Now I agree with what someone said about the musical notes to Linkin Park's tune and the emotion it conveys with Optimus Prime's final speech. That was cool.

This thread is still merely about discussing the issue. As it stands, I surely would NOT change some of the bands (love Disturbed, Linkin Park, obviously) - however, I'm not sure if I'd keep the specific songs they used.

Saliva's "Survival of the Sickest" could have worked well.

Linkin Park's "Crawling," or "Faint" are amongst their songs that might better apply - to Optimus and BumbleBee respectively, maybe.

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I'm guessing that the songs were picked for the way they sound, and not necessarily what their lyrics are.

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    yeah i loved that there were NO lyrics at all. it usually ends up being a cheesy "insert musical number here" scene when that happens

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    yeah, i really don't care much about the lyrics when a cool song is the background for a scene...

and NO offense whatsoever, but your two examples of writing songs specifically for Transformers show how awkward that can be....IMO, of course - a line or two as a reference is cool, I believe Wu Tang had a lyric that went "throw arm bombs like Galvatron" or something to that effect. But a whole song? Nah...

Good luck on your novel, though! my writing gets inspired by music too.

EDIT: I do understand you weren't REALLY lyric-writing, just an off the cuff example. Again, please don't be offended by my comments...

14. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Whoever though Mutemaths version of the theme was a good idea should be shot. I liked a few of the songs off the OST but for the most part it was dissapointment.

15. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

I will buy the gun if you pull the trigger! seriously, that theme sucks....it sucks bad....real bad!

16. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

Not as bad as Black Lab's. If you click that link, prepare to have your ears bleed. They covered White Lion's version of the theme song, but it sounds like an emaciated whiner sings it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    My wife was upset they didn't put any off the songs BumbleBee played on the OST. I told her those songs wouldn't have appealed to their target audience as much as the songs they picked. Pretty much sums the whole deal up.

18. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I agree...should have been scored throughout IMO, aside from the songs that were on BB's radio.

I would have to say that this is my only longstanding gripe with the movie.

However, I don't think songs from the '86 movie were really any better, but the themes in the music certainly did fit better.