Why did the critcs like TF1 better than AOE?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Mar 31, 2015.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

As I'd sort of go on to elaborate in a post further down the first page, the AOE Autobots definitely have more screen time than is usual for movie Autobots and have well defined personalities and roles, none of them are useless and all of them are distinct. They also don't seem to have any pastimes beyond trying to kill things, which makes them come across as psychopaths.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    The first film has nothing to contradict from a previous instalment. :cool: :eek: 

3. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

TFS 1 doesn't have more heart that's nostalgia talking as well as hatred of ROTF humor or the decepticons not being the physical threat of Age of Extinction or the cubic transformation. The first movie doesn't flesh out anything relationships are limited to one scene. Sam and Bumblebee do not have a relationship in the first movie, they don't interact at all, there is nothing showing them forge their friendship therefore Sam's reaction to Bumblebee being captured is not earned. There is nothing in the first movie for Sam's character like him and Bumblebee in the junkyard after optimus dies, or optimus in the graveyard. Sam and Mikela are not fleshed out, the whole relationship hinges on the car ride home because everything else is so minor.

This doesn't even get into Age of Extinction which all around stomps the first movie. Cade has a personal arc of his own, a very personal reason driving it and a lesson he learns that he was never protecting Tessa the way he believed nor can he alone do it. Cade's relationship with optimus is fleshed out they are given scenes to interact and moments where they help each other. Cade and optimus are fleshed out they have moments where they talk and relate to each other, both make sacrifices for the other and both in a sense inspire the other. There is nothing in TFS one that comes even close to this.

The story in Age is better put together, the hackers are irrelevant, Sam is a plot device, the glasses are useless in the end since sector 7 is the one who brought Sam to the Allspark and the decepticons don't even use the glasses while the Autobots having them is useless since they never reach Hoover damn and could've just followed Sam and Bumblebee like the actual movie since the Allspark can be sensed as that's how Megatron tracks it and how the Autobots know Sam has it. The decepticons have no character or personality, no character has a personal journey.

What's the critics argument for any of the sequels, what's the fans argument? ROTF is better put together than the first movie let alone Age of Extinction which takes cemetery wind, Lockdown, KSI, Galvatron, optimus losing faith, the creators and ties them all together in not just a narrative way but also a thematic way. There is no comparison the only valid point TF 1 has is the novelty of seeing the robots for the first time, the script is a disaster, all the sequels are better put together especially AOE.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Get shrekt every day! Veteran

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

As I pointed out in a thread of mine a year ago one of the main themes of AOE is this: attempts at absolute control fail absolutely. Each of the subplots shows this theme.

The Creators built the Transformers to be slaves. However, their creations gained sentience and sapience. Ages later they send Lockdown to kill the remaining Transformers on Earth and capture Prime alive. While Lockdown temporarily captures Prime, Prime escapes. Lockdown gets slain, and the Creators do not get their bounty. The Creators ultimately fail despite how close to being successful they were.

Meanwhile. Cemetery Wind tries to control the fate of Earth by working with Lockdown to hunt the remaining Transformers, but they ultimately fail at eliminating all of the remaining Cybertronians.

KSI tries to control their own Transformers, but Megatron was the one really pulling the strings. He fed them the technological know how and even manipulated the appearance of Galvatron to make a new body in his own image. He ends up taking control of the other prototypes. KSI fails at their attempts at absolute control.

Galvatron, despite all of his cunning and playing almost everyone, fails to get the Seed by not counting on the involvement of four gigantic Dinobots. Galvatron perhaps comes the closest of all of the characters, but even he ultimately fails at his attempts to control everything.

Finally, Cade tries to control the life of Tessa. No prom dates. No boyfriends. She ends up rebelling, and as the film goes on he realizes he can not control every aspect of his daughter's life. As a protagonist he learns can't control everything.

The Creators/Quintessons, Lockdown, Cemetery Wind, KSI, Megatron/Galvatron, and Cade all fail in some way in their attempts to control certain things.

And there are other themes that could potentially be drawn, but I really think that is one theme that permeates the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    That was worth a 2 year thread bump?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    I don't know if this makes total sense, but to me TF1 is a collection of cool moments that didn't quite gel together to make a great whole, but critics were able to overlook it because it was the test movie and it was fairly simplistic to follow. Aoe is a collection of problems and repeated mistakes, but it did come together somehow to make an interesting and more compelling whole. But, most critics were just too fatigued by transformers at that point to care.

In my mind I still consider these to be the best two, whatever people say.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Why did critics like TF1 better than AOE?"

Probably because it was shorter.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

THREE. HOURS.

9. Wolf

Wolf old school bot

Because the first was potentially a standalone movie with potentially no sequel.

AOE was created to be a deliberately incomplete movie that spawned a cinematic universe. There is a good chance that we won't find out the true genius of what went into AOE until further into the cinematic universe

• Like Like x 6
  10. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shit, if The Last Knight could be 4 hours or 5, I'd be super happy.

11. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    this^^^

12. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

I would fucking kill myself if I had to sit through that much bayformers, AOE was 3 hours of pain.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even better! >: D

• Like Like x 1
  14. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

1 is by far the best film in the series for me & id say a majority of people who have watched the films..there's flaws no doubt but it does a great job masking them & i know people wanna say 'well, because it's new..' if that was the case the film would fall apart on repeat viewings & id say it's still just as good today as it was in 2007

2 was pretty much a waste
    3, while it looked gorgeous, was an absolute train-wreck of a film & i think completely turned off a lot of people towards the franchise

4, i think most people have given up at this point...it's an ok film...3 didn't really leave them much to work with...a little overrated by the die hard in my opinion..the damage of 2 & 3 was already done..

5, we'll see..i mean, you'd think bay was due to make a good transformer film again..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

You can prefer what you want but that doesn't give critics an excuse. Rather a plot is simple or ambitious it's elements should properly come together, the first movie is the only one that doesn't do this. This is my point everyone says the sequels tried to do too much and the first was better because it kept things simple. This is irrelevant and not a proper argument. Too many plots going on, this is just an excuse people and critics make to justify them not being able to keep up regardless if the plots actually do connect with each other. TLK is already suffering this.

They're just going medieval backstory, creators, TRF vs cybertronians, optimus and Megatron backstory, transformer connection with human history, optimus going evil and Cade and Izzy dynamic. They see all this and go too much, too much no way they can do all that, really are they sure it's not no way they can keep up with that? TLK is from the looks of it very focused, everything regarding the medieval era, WWII, optimus Megatron backstory, creators, giant planet, optimus going evil all relate to a single idea the origin of the transformers and how it shaped human history. TRF relates to the other side of the two races history how they've been at war most of their existence. That's all it boils down to.

The "best transformer movie" doesn't have any of this, Sam has no personal conflict, his relationship with Mikela hinges on one scene, he has no personal interaction with Bumblebee therefore his reaction to him being captured isn't earned. The glasses are useless to the story despite half of it being built around them. Lennox's plot is useless since sector 7 should know the transformers weakness they've been studying them for ages. The hackers are filler and Keller's political plot doesn't even have a pay off it never becomes involved with the main story regarding the Allspark. It doesn't bring anything properly together at all.

It's not the best transformers movie when it comes to anything regarding actual storytelling it fails in every category and professional critics should know this, all of this, they have no excuse for any of this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017