Why did the Autobot's attack those people in the beginning of the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MetaBeshter, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MetaBeshter

MetaBeshter Well-Known Member

I dunno if this confused you guys but in the beginning of Dark of The Moon when NEST arrive at the Chernobyl reactor (I think) you see them pass through a gate with a bunch of security with another human vehicle with them, however when they pass Dino (Or whatever the hell the final name of the Ferrari) transforms and points his weapons at the humans guarding said gate.

A few seconds after that we later see Bumblebee riding with said human vehicle when he does his triple-changer in vehicle mode and blows up a small shed or something similar to that. What was the point of this attack as I don't remember the humans ever fighting.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

If you were listening to Prime's narrative, you would've known that the Autobots were helping the U.S. with overseas conflicts. Personally, I thought the entire scene was kind of pointless in that nothing happened after Bumblebee opened fire. It would've been nice if that sequence was tied to the actual plot, like the scene in Chernobyl. Perhaps Bumblebee and the others finding another artifact in human possession.

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Who cares? MICHEALBAYSPLOSIONS!

4. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

According to the subtitles, it was an Iranian nuclear research facility. The Autobots were basically violating a jillion international laws on behalf of the U.S. government. The point was to show you how in bed the Autobots were with Uncle Sam, to the point where they're gleefully undertaking missions that no conventional US force could (or would be allowed to, legally). This was all to make it shocking to you that the government hid the Ark from the Autobots.

(Seriously, that was pretty much legally an act of war.)

5. MetaBeshter

MetaBeshter Well-Known Member

Okay this makes sense because that's exactly what I thought. I just saw them walking into an area in foreign territory and blowing shit up and had no idea why they were doing that if the humans never opened fire.

6. Naivafatron

Naivafatron MEGATRON'S MINION

bots were also mentioned becoming sloppy or rogue in some cases. didn't Optimus say "we never harm humans.." ? If thats true then they should only open fire on cons. Bots lie to justify their own agenda ever since their time on Cybertron.

7. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC it said illegal nuclear facility. As in, built without going getting the proper clearances to do so. Optimus said they were helping to keep global issues from spiraling out of control. The Autobots went in and took out the facility in order to keep the situation from escalating into military combat, which would result in significant human death.

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Actually It was supposed that Bumblebee, Mirage and Wheeljack were going to find Cybertronian Weapons in the hands of those humans, (in Rising Storm, Starscream was Selling Cybertronian Weapons to Humans) but the scene was cut

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    yeah, the Autobots just basically screw shit up by attacking that plant. I liked it better that in the comic adaptation that Iranian plant had a piece of stolen Cybertronian technology. That justifies the attack a bit.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Oh, I don't follow the comics and was only pointing out how it didn't flow with the plot at all outside of Prime mentioning the the overseas conflicts.

11. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

I still think it had cybertronian tech in it. Mostly because Lennox was like "dunno - but I got everything under control" and whats her name was pissed about it (meaning the USA didn't know about what was going on).

I think the narration at that point throws it out into left field however and its confusing.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Because they didn't pay attention to dialogue.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dare I SAY IT!!!!!

BIG LIPPED ALIGATOR MOMENT!!!!!!

14. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Actually, it DOES follow the plot. Autobots are trying to integrate into their new home and prevent wars by supressing developing countries from being any kind of threat to their new home, the USA, as opposed to the Decepticons, which plot to bring their home to earth, refusing to "start over"...

15. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Yes, but who gives the Autobots that authority? If it was stolen Cybertronian tech, that's one thing, but this is plain ol' people using plain ol' human tech, which means it's a matter for the human authorities. Or even if the Autobots were working with UN authorization, not just rogue-stating it up for the USA.

But that's just me.

16. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

It's one scene that bugs the hell out of me in the continuity of the movie verse, and totally down plays the Autobots will not hurt humans in any way. They deliberately fired on humans who were of no threat to them at all, and I just find this unsettling. And this is coming from somebody who loves the ruthless Prime in the movie.

17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    America...duh!

But no, seriously. "Illegal Nuclear Facility" is good enough for me for the plot anyways. I think considering that NEST is made up of not just American units but also European, and that they seem to have operational authority that extends outside of the USA(See ROTF when they were in Shanghai), it appears that NEST is more of a NATO/UN operation rather than just an American one. In this case I see them having more than enough authority to wreck Illegal Military Facilities wherever they happen to be.

18. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I like to assume it was a way of showing that the Autobots help out humans by stopping threats to humanity as a whole. I don't really want to think that the Autobots were fighting for America's/Nato's/Nest's interests specifically.

It's a shame we only get to see them initially raid the place. Just a little clarity on why Autobots did it.

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The novel makes it clear that the Autobots made sure no human was hurt during their escapades. The movie wasn't so careful though.

20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it was supposed to be the Autobots helping the humans avoid conflict, but I was rather uncomfortable with this scene, since it felt like the Autobots were just being America's super-soldiers.