Why did lines change in the Original Star Wars Special Edition?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always been curious about this.

I rewatched the old trilogy last week and it reminded me that i never really found out the answer to this.

Why does Luke tell R2 "You were lucky to get out of there" in Empire, instead of the original "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

Or Han, in Jedi telling Lando "It's alright, I can see a lot better" instead of the original, "It's allright, trust me."

And then they added little things like Luke thanking 3po in Empire, when 3po expresses seeing Luke in one piece.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that these lines fit the lip syncing better than the old lines, but in the case of Luke thanking 3po, or 3po adding the line "There's nowhere to go" in the astroid field, we don't see a visual reference.

Does anyone know what reasons that had for changing these?

I rather liked "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Id never heard of this. Id have to check the old copies I have with the remastered copies.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Something to do with George Lucas being a cunt

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Half of it is down to the movies already having a bunch of different sound mixes with different lines before then, which they consilidated into a single version with all the prefered stuff for the SE. Open/Close Blast Doors, Dammit Wedge/Biggs and Out/Taste are all to do with that.

Some stuff was new in the SEs thougth, presumably based on the whims of Lucas. The loss of the Yes from Han/Greedo in SW, the Vader change from the end of ESB and the Han Sarlacc pit line in ROTJ comes to mind.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah I forgot about the "Yes" in the cantina. That one is horrible because you can still see him mouth the yes. The others can work, but that yes one makes me cringe.

Thanks for the explanation on those.

6. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

I'm not sure about the others, but I'm almost certain that Han always said the line about seeing a lot better (when he's hanging by his feet from the skiff, aiming the blaster at the Sarlaac tentacle around Lando's foot, right?) in response to Lando's "no wait, I thought you were blind!"

I also seem to remember C3PO's "there's nowhere to go" being in the original as well.

Not sure about Luke thanking C3PO, but I kind of like that addition.

7. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaha! So true...

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

On the dvds, Han says yes again. It was only edited out on the special edition vhs tapes.

9. RabidYak

The 04 SE trilogy is yet another completely new sound mix, which has further craziness of its own despite undoing some of the 97 changes.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I thought I remember reading years ago that Episode four was going to have a bunch more stuff put into it after the special editions because it lacked the most from what Lucas originally intended.

I saw some changes from 97 to the 04 release but not as many as were originally reported. I keep thinking another edition is going to come out.

Han meeting Jabba in Ep4 makes for a better story, but my complaint is that Jabba in Ep4 is not the same character as in Ep6. They gave the fat guy's(the one they digitized over) personality in Ep4 to Jabba. Then Jabba in Ep6 is just a ruthless Hut (as he should be) They just don't match up to me.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wouldn't it have been easier to CGI the entire cast and redo the whole original trilogy to his liking and then in 2 years, start the re-tweaking "his vision" process again?

i grudgingly accept "director's". "Unrated" or "Final" cuts, but not on a quarterly basis like Lucas loves to do.

It's gonna be like Futurama....in the year 5077, lucas, with head in a jar, will be at Skywalker Ranch and Cryotank reworking it all.

put the beast down, George.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I took the Jabba personality difference as being a difference in time period. This was years before and Jabba wasn't nearly as pissed at Han for not paying him as he was in Jedi. By that time, I'm sure he had already almost expired his options at getting his money back.

I still didn't hear the "Yeah" in the Cantina, did they add it to the Recent DVD releases (like last year)?

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

The most glaringly obvious mistake is when the X-Wings are making their approach and the heroic John Williams score goes silent. That part drives me absolutely crazy. Lucas can change all the dialogue he wants but nobody touches John Williams' music!

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    This isnt about any lines, but I have always been bugged by how the special edition added the laser when Han kills Greedo. It looks so odd; the original blaster effect worked better for me.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Or the ToyFare Twisted Theatre where Uaatu boasts having the 572 edition of Star Wars; considered by many to be the best recut version of the movies, featuring Indiana Jones saving the Ewoks?

Kurasawa was noted as saying "Films are never finished, merely abandoned". George Lucas, a big fan of Kurasawa, has taken that far too literally.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well and the thing that used to confuse me was that he fixed shots in the original Death Star battle that really didn't need changing, but kept ones that I thought looked cheesy even as a kid (Like Rogue leader crashing into the death star, which looks like a firework exploding on the surface of a model).

Also, in the original theatrical special edition release, he didn't add the red light to darth vader's saber after he kills Ben and is walking towards the doors.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Don't worry - the badger-headed nutcase that is George Lucas will soon have redubbed everything in all the Star Wars films.
    I wonder if he's ever gone and done Special Editions of his family home movies? Stuck a Rancor Monster in the background of his wedding video and dubbed compliments about himself into mouths of people that were originally just asking for more wedding cake?

18. RabidYak

Thats probably why his missus divorced him, imagine her surprise when she saw that he now cuts the cake first and that the singer had been replaced by a CGI Sy Snootles.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also remember him adding Luke screaming on the way down in cloud city (he sounded like Palapatine) and then removed it again in the DVD.

I thought the scream was horrible because it made it seem as if Luke had bravely took the plunge, and then changed his mind halfway down.

20. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I had read that in the SE movies, there was one glaring mistake or effect that purposely hadn't been fixed. For ANH, it was the sabre. In ESB and ROTJ I hadn't known what that had fixed up, though so it may have just been a rumour.