Why Did/Is everyone go Crazy for Windcharger

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Apoclatron5675, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Apoclatron5675

Apoclatron5675 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly why did everybody go crazy(honestly some people paid waaaaaaay too much for him just to have him) over such a plain looking scout figure I know RTS stuff was/is kinda rare but still I don't see whats so great about him

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me I don't have one yet because I don't want to pay crazy prices and have not seen it in stores.

As to why I want one (2 actually) is that he was my first transformer toy when I was a kid, and I want to repaint one into G2 Windbreaker who I consider an upgraded Windcharger.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Nostalgia.

As a toy its mediocre.

4. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

When something is known to be in limited quantities, people will go to greater measures to obtain it and I think that's what happened with Windcharger. The fact that he's a Classics style figure made him even more desirable since many people need him to complete their Classics collections, and paying high prices is unfortunately one of the only ways to get him right now.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

He's rare, and he's a Classics figure of a G1 original cast member. When you combine those two factors, I'm surprised you're even asking why so many people wanted him.

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Well he's the counterpart for one of the Stunticons so it would be nice to have a complete set of the 5 Autobots that the Stunticons share their alt modes with.

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always liked Windcharger. That's why I went crazy when we found out he got canceled. I didn't pay too much for him. $22 Shipped from the UK and they guy I got it from threw in a WFC Pre Order UK Exclusive Starscream.

8. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    None of the Stunticons was a Pontiac Firebird.......

Which one does Windcharger share an Alt mode with?

OT: I haven't got one either, since I refuse to pay $40-50 for a scout figure, and I can't get to Ross or TJMAXX enough to make looking for him worthwhile. I'm waiting for the near inevitable release in another line soon, or for people to stop asking $50 for a toy they paid $5 for.....

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I traded a $10 RTS Lugnut for my Windcharger. And Lugnut was actually a freebie from someone in exchange for a commission credit. There's no way in hell that I was going to pay some of the asking prices for this fucker. $40-50? Pfft.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    People just want to fill out their G1 cast.

It's an ok toy, but as a scout, it's pretty much what you'd expect of it, nothing more.

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I found one at Ross for $4.99. He's a great scout figure as far as design/articulation goes. I think the swirly glittery red plastic feels a bit cheap.

I'm very glad to have him in my collection, but after owning and playing around with him he is far from a $40 toy. He'd be a fair catch at 10-12 buck plus shipping, and that's only for the G1/nostalgia nod.

I grew up on G1, but I don't have any particular affinity for the character. I saw him cheap and felt it was an easy buy to help fill my classics shelf up fully.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Umm... Windcharger isn't by any means a limited or rare figure. It just didn't see as much distribution as planned. That doesn't change the number of Windchargers that were produced. And just like the RTS Voyagers, they're finding their way out into the market.

The only reason people pay so much is because they freak out over nothing. Over toys.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I never understood either. It's just a completist thing I guess.

14. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

I got one for 9 bucks. He's a good figure to have but not worth overpaying.

15. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    tell that to the people asking over 100 dollars for classics ultra magnus and over 50 for skywarp- they went on clearance for $5 but they're worth $150 now?

16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Having got a Windcharger from a board member, I really like him, but I know he isn't really special. He's what I expect from a Scout....scout goodness, but really nothing more than that. I got him because the opportunity presented itself, rather than me actually wanting him.

17. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

i fiddled with him at a friends house in the uk wasnt impressed then or now imo breacher is easily the best scout to come out all of last year and he was also tough to find.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Did you mean to quote my post? Because this has nothing to do with me defining "limited" and "rare". But since you brought it up...

Basic economics, supply and demand. Supply is high, demand is high, price is high. Supply is low, demand is high, price is higher. At first, Windcharger's supply was low, demand was high, and that's how we ended up with people paying upwards of $50+ for a $8 figure. But now Windcharger's seeing better distribution though stores not named Walmart or Target so the price will go down, and hopefully people will come to their senses. Scalpers bank on this, which is why they go after newly released cases so quickly, and then couldn't care less once the case assortment sees saturation.

What you want to talk about apparently is Ultra Magnus, who was a Target exclusive, meaning supply is not as high as if the figure were mass-released. And demand was initially low, people passed on the 2-pack entirely or only bought it for Skywarp. Which is why they flooded Target shelves and ended up clearanced at 75% off (it was already a steal at $20 to begin with).

Of course, FansProject changed all that. Supply is relatively low, demand is high because of the City Commander set, which drives the price up. Add to that the fact that the figures are 5 years out of the market. And that's where you get the numbers from.

Also, it doesn't matter what people ask for the toys, it matters what people end up buying them for. People can ask all they want, but if people pay what's being asked, then what's stopping them? You, the consumer create the market, not the seller.

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my case, it's also the fact that I really REALLY like the Scout class for car transformers, and because flip-out weapons (let alone screen-accurate ones) are a real novelty for that class.

Even though Windy's not a very well-defined character, I've been bit by the Classics bug hard enough so that when someone nails that style, I want it.

20. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I am aware of the principles of supply and demand- I actually have an economics degree.

Windcharger was part of a wave that wasn't ordered by retailers and as such was in very high deman due to the limited release (uk, germany and canada). It started showing up at marshall's and supply increased, but then you had people buying every one they saw at martshall's and put them up as trade bait. Same reason that evac and red rampage were "rare" bevause they came at the end of the rotf line.

I drew a comparison to UM/skywarp because it had a limited release (target exclusive) but still commands top dollar because the characters were modern representations of the G1 figures. Its essentially the same scenario in that windcharger was not widely available and still commands above retail prices. Hell, I recently paid 60 dollars for a MIB classic voyager prime- way more than retail and by no means exclusive, but the fact that its the best mold of G1ish prime to date means that every collector has to have one.

Basically I'm saying that because there is a perception of rarity mixed with limited availability mean people are hoarding windchargers. Not for the figure itself but because he's a classic character that was essentially exclusive. Personally I agree that he's no revolution in toy engineering (and also agree that breacher is amazing) but I'm happy I have one and I'm pretty sure the price will remain well above retail. There's a lot of them out there already and his price is still high despite showing up at discount stores.

Also, I don't think I need to mention the frenzy/rumble henkeis that are going for 100+ retail...