Why did Hasbro Make Gen Wheeljack MORE stumpy than RTS Tracks??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Demonss, Mar 9, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Same height as Jazz, Ironhide, and most of the deluxe bots from the G1 toon (same height as them in the toon also). The G1 toy is really the only short/squatty Wheeljack around. Even the Alternators WJ was up there in height.

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way he comes looks a lot better then this, it definitely not worth it to me to make this change. Thanks for doing this though now we know what it looks like.

3. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is my thoughts exactly.. He was just TOO short for my taste.. the extra slider length while giving "hollow knees" (does it matter he's a robot?) does proportion his body better. care to take a pic of the track to see how you changed it? :) 

4. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I think this shot shows the real reason for the difference: the longer track extensions on Wheeljack end up showing the 'messy' knee detail so he looks 'cleaner' with that hidden behind his shins/car hood.

While on Track's it's necessary for the knee to extend above the car hood to gain clearance since the knee bends in the opposite direction.

5. Demonss

News Credits:
    A valid opinion. But it makes me think of two things..

1) if they wanted to replace the knees so they don't show.. they should have a picture of him on the back without the extended knees.. as I sat there for a good 5 minutes tugging on the legs before I thought to take a screwdriver to it.
    This is not an opinion.. It's bad that hasbro left the leg extensions on the picture and then the actual toy doesn't as it makes you think there's something wrong with it..

2) This is an opinion... Where you see messy knees.. I see robot knees that don't necessarily need to look like my knee looks, and a slightly nicer proportioned bot..

Again I'll re-iterate I love the toy he's great. I'm certainly going to enjoy him in my collection.. But to me it still seems an unneccessary change as when he was first announced I didn't see anyone complaining about the knees.

6. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Shadow Panther - some pics please? Cuz I'll probably do that when i get my Jacky.

What's really funny about this thread, is that people are not seeing that they simply have different threshholds of acceptance on what should be homaged in a toy.

Wheeljack isn't SUPPOSED to be stumpy. He isn't KNOWN for being stumpy. The g1 toy HAPPENS TO BE stumpy. it also has no eyes. it also has legs that are "axled" together, and are more of a two part pedestal base than anything. Maybe these things should be homaged too?

And there you have it... Pedestal legs and no eyes would probably fall outside the limits of your acceptance. But they are just as much a factor of the G1 toy's looks as is his stumpiness. A much less aesthetically pleasing factor, mind you, but still. So stumpy doesn't bother some. But it bothers others (raises hand).

I want my toy to look good. ANd i think a little height would do that for it. but when someone comes in and says "hey why so shortius :lol " there's no need to come in like "wow duh he's supposed to, how dare you feel this way"...which, c'mon, let's not be obtuse - is exactly how some of us here came off.

back on topic about the figure...

I kinda see him with the wrench mouth facing backwards, looking like he's going to seriously brain somebody with the wrench. He looks he can SCRAP....

7. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Given how his inventions usually work out, Wheeljack holding tools is enough to frighten Autobots and Decepticons alike.

8. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I agree it's a bit lame but I think i'd probably prefer his not having holes in his knees.

Oh and don't think of Wheeljack as being short - think of Tracks being taller as Tracks was a taller toy (but I bet Wheeljack looks a bit silly next to Jazz because of this design change).

I may keep a looksy out for a Junker Tracks in case I decide to swap the part at some future point. but I'm getting used tt Transformers looking like they shrunk in the wash.

9. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    For:
    1) Hey... this is Hasbro stock photography we're talking about. They don't always get it right.

2) I am not of the opinion that his knees look messy or not. (Note I didn't say messy, I said 'messy'... not interested in a debate about what people do or don't think looks good...just thinking of what the designers might have been thinking.) I think the designers probably thought it'd look 'messy' or 'not good' or something so did something to make it look 'good' in their eyes.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I'm 5'7" and I am offended, OFFENDED, sirs, by all the blatant heightism on display here.

Just kidding.

But I like little-person Wheeljack. Not all robots can be tall and lanky like Mirage, Sunstreaker, or Prowl. Stumpy 'bots need love too.

11. Demonss

News Credits:
    Yeah I understand. :) 
    I Still think part 1 is definitely an issue.. Glad Id idn't BREAK wheeljack in the process! hah!

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally I'm fine with him as-is. He's short and bulky, but that works for him, imho. Should add some variety to my Classics shelf, and I imagine he'll make Grimlock look a bit taller than he actually is, lol.

I just hope I find him...

13. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I think the legs are too stumpy...I know some folks are saying homage but the whole point of these gen/classic type lines is to take the old designs and make em better

14. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

They may have had breakage issues.

15. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me I think he could be a little taller.As is I think he's to short.

A lot of people are saying it's an homage to the G1 toy and that's fine but at the same time I'm not sure that's what it is.I think the shortened sliders were more of a cosmetic decision.

I think that Demoness and everyone that agrees with him are saying that they could have used the same sliders they used on Tracks and he would still have that short feel to him but still be pretty much in scale with the others.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  16. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I'm just too thrilled stupid that we got him to give a damn about his height issues!:D 

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    there is nothing wrong with wheeljack being squat, i think it suits the character, and he looks great all over, he is way better than tracks, and tracks was kickass

seeing the rails makes the legs look pretty bad

if you want to make your toy look worse, fine by me, he is perfect as is

trust me, him being shorter makes it easier to fit in a classics display, it makes you put him in the front where he belongs, and he won't get lost in the background like autobot car #5

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Maybe it's because the G1 Toy was stumpy.

Doi! It's like Generations Red Alert's having the G1 Toy's black head.

19. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    They tooled the legs to click a little bit limited. But The chest actually has slightly more gearing to it in wheeljack. So the shoulders expand more than tracks.

The legs could be expanded with a hack. But I think what hasbro was going for was to make the mold capture two different looks. One with a shorter, more industrial wheeljack, Which kind of works for me, as wheeljacks battlefield role felt more like a grenadier with his weapon selections. Experimental High Explosives.

Tracks is tall and sleek. His role is more of a speedster anyway. With Flight being a element.

20. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Looking at him there, I think his height is great. I like when a particular size class (deluxe in this case) has a difference of how tall they stand. It gives them distinction. Cyclonus and Lockdown stand tall, while Classics BB stands shorter then the rest in his class.