Why did Hasbro Make Gen Wheeljack MORE stumpy than RTS Tracks??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Demonss, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously.. Look at the difference in the slide mechanism.. It's only like 5-7 mm difference.. But he's already stumpy enough as is!

[​IMG]

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Wheeljack is meant to be pretty short. Ever seen his G1 fig? He's squat!

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because he's supposed to be?

Did everyone just forget what G1 Wheeljack's toy looked like?

4. Demonss

News Credits:
    I realize the TOY is supposed to be.. And I could deal with a stumpy reimagining.. But it's surprising how much the extra 5cm changes him.. He looks TOO stumpy as is.

Sure it's a great homage to the actual G1 toy.. But that extra height oddly fills him out better.. Especially since the hood of the car as the front of his legs accents the stumpiness more so than it's noticeable on tracks..

Short summary.. It was an unneccessary change to make him More stumpy than he already was.. And saying "the g1 toy was like that" is not a good argument.. If it was then ratchet and ironhide shouldn't have heads that go above their windshields..
    I'm not buying articulated G1 toys.. I'm buying "classics"

5. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

We still need more figs like this stumpy or not.

The G1 stuff they been doing is awesome thus far.

If u dont want your Wheeljack, send him to me, then I don;t have to wait for him to hit retail since I am a cheapass :D 

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Why does it matter? Not all Transformers are the same height, like Split_Lip and Locustrein said the G1 toy was short but Wheeljack was pretty squatty in the cartoon as well from what I remember. At the very least he had some severe bowleggedness going on. I think it suits the character better, personally.

7. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have either toy, so I can't be sure of this, but wouldn't Wheeljack end up with a big hole in each of his knees if those sliders were bigger?

8. Demonss

News Credits:
    I agree I'm 100% for re-imagined G1-verse characters.
    And I'll be keeping my Wheeljack.. It's just silly that they felt they had to make him more stumpy..

I transformed him and was looking at the box and thought, "man he looks more proportionate on the back of the box than mine does.. did I do something wrong??"

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    can you swap parts with Tracks? It would be interesting to see WJ with the Tracks extenders

10. Demonss

News Credits:
    Yes you can.. You need to take their legs apart and pop the him off the ball joints. The stock pictures of wheeljack show with the tracks extensions:

[​IMG]

For whatever reason they look more proportionate like that.

Of course it shouldn't surprise me hasbro uses this trick to "differentiate bots" as the swap from hotrod to rodimus for mp rodimus is essentially the same amount of movement..

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No he doesn't.

No it wasn't. It was done so that he didn't have awful-looking hollow kneecaps caused by the tracksin the legs needed for transformation.

Of course it is. Classics homage more than just the cartoon, ya know. Some people care more about the comics and toys then how they appeared in the cartoon, so they take a little over everything that makes the character. Wheeljack is an inventor, not a basketball player.

Now this is not a good arguement. They're classics, they homage all of a character's appearences, taking what works for the character from each series. Being stumpy works for the character, not having a head doesn't.

This is just a silly statement, and I really don't know what else to say to it. For one, Wheeljack has eyes this time 'round, so automaticlly he's one-up from the G1 toy design-wise.

"Classics" are updates of the old characters, they incorperate design elements from the old show, comics, toys and add new modern elements.

Really it just boils down to: there are more people in the fandom than you alone, and Hasbro/Takara want to appeal to everyone, not just you.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And this is why.

Look at the backs of Tracks' legs. You don't want Wheeljack's legs looking like that. Ugly. Even excusing that particular aesthetic gaffe, there's also the issue of him winding up with scrawny knees afterwards. As it is, his hood panels form really thick lower legs, which looks good. Extend them up even further, and instead, he looks like he has skinny legs, with massively oversized boots. Stupid looking.

Wheeljack is supposed to be short and wide looking.

13. Demonss

News Credits:
    It seems every interaction I have with you, you want to be combative.. And I'm unsure why..
    Admitting that generations arcee is not G1 yet?

Calling my statement "silly" doesn't help prove yours isn't.
    Wheeljack should be stumpy because per you, "Classics homage more than the cartoon."

Thanks I'm not an idiot..

Of course some care for how they appeared in prior toy form and comics..

But somehow my argument of Ironhide and Ratchet is silly.
    I enjoyed how they looked in G1 even if they didn't match what I saw in the cartoon.. But surprisingly the modern reimagining attempts to make them look MORE like the cartoon or the current line of comics..

If we look at the current line of comics.. Wheeljack looks close to this, but certainly not as stumpy..

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.. As "silly" as it may be.

Frankly the hollow knee caps don't bother me anymore than tracks' hollow ankle.. Or Straxus' complete lack of ankle..

14. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    It...doesn't bother me? I always thought of Wheeljack as the short guy. Well, not as short as Bumblebee.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Rebutle: Why go so far to find something not to like?

If you get that he's not supposed to be all that tall, why are you so up-in-arms about it? He's short. Does that make him bad? No.

I don't get why people have to reach to find problems with toys that are otherwise perfectly fine.

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I had G1 Wheeljack. Still know exactly what he looks like, proportion-wise.

The thing is, G1 Wheeljack was pretty short yes and he had relatively long arms.

This Generations Wheeljack has relatively short arms. Extending the legs will make his short arms stand out even more, so I would advise to keep the legs the way they are.

17. Demonss

News Credits:
    Because in my opinion, due to the fact that the front of the car is his lower legs it makes him look MORE out of proportion.

When you look at the back of the box it shows him with the sliders sticking out.. so you're tugging on the leg thinking it's pulling an alternators optimus prime and just not extending right only to find out that they switched the thing inside and the wheeljack you have is not proportioned quite the same as he looks on the back of the box..
    Which again.. in your opinion looks better proportioned.

I'm not "reaching" when I look at the back of the box and say.. I like how that one looks a bit better than mine.

I didn't say he was a shit toy and nobody should buy him..

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just another way for hasbro to different figures using the same mold. New head, retools, re-weapons, and now this!

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Of course, because we simply don't agree it means I'm obviously being combative, instead of just discussing something on a public message board.

Now that's combative. And I did.

You greatly misunderstand. I'm not saying he should, I'm saying there's no reason he shouldn't. And I explained why, being slightly shorter is something that defines someone's character. Not having a head is not.

I never said you were. I said your statement was silly but I never said you were.
    Again, because not having a head is not the same as just being a little short.

Or are you refering the the windsheild in front of the head design, like WWI Ironhide? Nothing wrong with that, but they can't incorperate both looks, so it's just whichever they choose. Doesn't mean either is wrong, just that one wasn't chosen. Again, it's opinion, neither is wrong or right.

When I was refering to comics I was talking about Classics homages in general, not Wheeljack.

I never said your opinion was silly, just the statement you made about being headless=being short. You however have failed to practice what you preach, as it never crossed your mind maybe some people prefer a shorter Wheeljack design?

Again, your opinion. It's not what everyone believes.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That doesn't bug me, I might do that if someone has a cheap tracks for sale down the road.:2c: