Why defend pre-release sellers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by encline, Feb 24, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just looking over at a couple of post about pre-release figures. I see a couple of post that defend pre-sellers.
    I am all about getting new figs before they are released if YOU want, but I have a question I would like to see discussed.

Are pre-sellers good guys that are there to help the fandom, or are they just thieves that only care about making a profit?

Please explain why you are for or against pre-sellers? Or it all depends on a situation.

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

As long as people are willing to pay alot of money to get a toy way before anyone else, then people will be selling them way early. I've never gotten a toy WAY early, and I'm not that guy whos going to spend alot of money to get a toy thats destined for mass retail. Some people are into that. I personally dont see the value in doing it, but some do and its thier right to spend thier money any way they want. I dont think I'd consider the sellers thieves, because people will willingly pay the prices that they are asking. It does seem a little shady to me though. I think I've typed alot, but not really said anything.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'm all for people doing what they want with their money, if they wish to waste it spending 10+ times the retail price to get a figure a couple of months early...fine.

That said, I personally like getting to see the figures early, a lot of the leaks we've been had lately have come from these, so I kinda see the defending of them as a way to not bite the hand that feeds, essentially.

Now some of the pictures we've been seeing lately, piles of stolen merchandise to be sold off at a massive profit does kinda bother me though.

4. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    jesus...this thread is going to go like any KO thread...down the toilet.....FLUSH!

5. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha.......

remember, figures are from the factory, sold to someone else for a price then those that you see on here selling and such are marked up, the more hands the toys move through the higher the price goes up.

6. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    If it means we get to see figures a bit earlier, then im all for it! As others have said each to their own. If you want to spend $40 on a deluxe its up to you.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't have a problem with it when I felt that the money was actually going to the person who needed it, i.e. the actual factory worker who makes next to nothing and did it to support his family. What I won't get behind, however, is the smug arrogance of putting up a photo of over 40 of these toys, when the seller is charging a fortune and obviously paid a pittance.

8. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like I've said before, I can wait for official Hasbro images and don't feel the absolute NEED to see stolen figures. Sure, the images are touched up and in some cases incorrect, but at least they're official. Also, Hasbro most likely won't show a piece of a piece, but the actual completed figure. If it's a month before the true release, then that's all the better to up the hype.

As for stolen figures, the markup the sellers are asking for a figure we'll all be able to pick up in three months at retail truly makes them petty criminals. Recent example: Charging a BIN of $35 for a Prime voyager then an additional $35 for shipping? Get real.
    Some of the other prices are even more laughable. But what people want to do with their money is their choice. If they feel it's okay to pay people for their criminal activities, then so be it. If it's that important for you to have something before the rest of us, then good for you. Have a cookie after you do some lame-ass video review.

As a side note- Before it's mentioned at some point that the opponents of early figure sales only complain because we can't afford it (it's been said before), well I for one CAN afford them. I just choose to support my local economy with my buying power, not some scum-bag thief.
    To each his own.

9. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I support pre-release sellers if they destroy the lives of people who can't afford to pay for the toys and yet buy them anyway.

10. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Sad, yet darkly humerous at the same time.
    I honestly wonder if he found gainful employment yet?

Just a thought- I wonder if more people truly don't like the whole factory-thieving issue but are afraid that if they complain or have a vocal opinion that we'll be cut off from seeing the figures early? Kind of a "stay quiet and we'll see the pictures" thing. Is the fear that the thieves will stop showing off due to fan displeasure keeping people silent, thus permitting the criminal activities to continue?

11. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like I said, people can do what they want, but I agree 100% with your thought. But at the end of the day, it is a who cares type of thing. Nobody thinks about moral issues anymore. All we now is that we are getting some pictures of a figure that we can see everywhere in 3 months.

"Let's not say anything so we can see a figure early. Or even a piece of a figure, or a blurry shadow of something!!!"

12. Yaujta

News Credits:
    And if you express morals on the issue, you're considered self-righteous.
    Quite the quandry.

My personal stand against the thieves is to never buy anything from them, and to encourage others to do the same. It'll never stop, but it's at least a start.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    They are capitalists that are making money and providing for their families. Do you care if Wal-Mart accidentally puts something on the shelf a week or two before they are supposed to?

14. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Wal Mart doesn't put a 10X price on something it may accidentally put on the shelf early.

We know these thieves aren't getting the merchandise for what they attempt to sell them for just to recoup their losses. And I highly doubt the money is needed for the survival of their families.
    It's greed. Nothing less.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know these sellers personally, so it's unfair for me to judge them in a negative way. As far as the 10x price tag goes, I beleive the person more to blame if your looking for one, is the person spending the money. Because they have the option of just waiting till the toys hit the shelves at Wal-Mart. I don't mind waiting 4 months to pay 10 bucks rather than 100 bucks. Why is our society to quick to blame someone for something.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pre-release SELLERS are trying to make a quick buck by flipping something for a huge markup. Pre-release BUYERS are trying to advance their e-peen within the fandom, as the meltdown over who gets to video review stuff first has shown on several occasions. You'll never get either to admit to willingly dealing in stolen merchandise.

Hasbro has asked at Botcon that we not support the practice of purchasing stolen prerelease toys... frankly, that ought to be good enough for us. If I were on the TF team at Hasbro and had just spent the last year designing and completing a beautiful new toy, and its debut to the world was a blurry, underlit youtube video in which the reviewer could barely speak coherently or transform it properly, I'd definitely be a little disappointed.

I'd just like to see the Hasbro team getting stuff out through official channels a lot faster, so they can debut things in the manner they see fit.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

But wouldn't the hand that feeds be Hasbro? And by supporting people who steal their products, aren't we indeed biting their hands? These figures are going to come out whether people steal them or not, so these people really aren't doing any service kind of service to the community.

Even if every fan around the world rose up and in one voice called these thieves exactly what they were in the most colorful language imaginable, as long as they were still stealing and selling these items we'd still see them early. The sellers aren't the ones doing in depth, high quality, clear and precise reviews and previews of the figures, the fans are. All the sellers do is get the item, take a teaser pic and then throw it on ebay for large amounts of cash. As long as they get their money, I don't think they'll care what we call them. And again, these toys will come out regardless of whether or not they get them early.

There's a massive difference between Wal-mart throwing some figures they legally paid for on the floor before some arbitrary release date was met and people stealing items en mass and selling them for excessively inflated prices.

In the end, this is all that should matter.

Now I'm not going to say anything about those who decide to buy toys early. It's their money and their right to do so. But even still, the fact remains that people stealing items from factory workshops does hurt Hasbro's profits and in the end the effect will be felt by us, the consumers. While it's nice to see a new toy a few weeks/months early, I personally can wait until it's not only officially released, but until it's been out for a while so any defects in the first few batches (as there always is) can be fixed before I get my own. Unless it's some super rare, highly limited exclusive figure, there's no rush when it comes to mass-produced products.

Or at least that's my opinion

18. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

omgz illegal toys!!

but yeah... people pay a lot of money for them, and if someone can take them from the factory and sell them with little to no effort, and not get in trouble.. then why not?

I don't know if it's stealing or not, more then likely it is, because to my knowledge, test shots and what not are suppose to be destroyed afterwards, but who knows.

19. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:

and extremely photoshopped pictures from Hasbro are any better? more than half the time they mistransform their own toys anyways.

perfect example are the new rotf figures, esp rampage. going from a nice darkish yellow with some grey shading to a almost pee yellow no detail figure.

and for ppl who think the price is high, again it is a stolen toy! if they wanted to they could charge nothing for it, and prices would be extremely low. always prices are high when a figure first comes out, when they becom abundant prices drop.

and those thinking the poor factory worker, well its their fault if they charge to little to begin with then.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The more i think about this, the more i realize that we are all guilty in someway or another. We log on here to get the "first looks" of these toys. So without us ewwing and awwwing over these pics, the guys buying the toys for our "acceptance" wouldn't be doing it, and the guys at the factory selling the "stolen" merchandise wouldn't be doing it. So in some weird way, we are all to blame.