Customs: Why Customize?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Why do you people like to customize your Transformer? What's wrong with keeping them original? Are custom's more desired by collectors? Do they increase, decrease value?
    Or is it simply something you do cause your board with the stock appearance?
    I have several ideas of my own, but wonder when it's worth buying a new toy just to customize it.
    How well do customs sell compared to originals?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:

Why? To create something that doesn't exist readily. Nothing's wrong with keeping originals... original, unless they need improvements for greater accuracy, articulation, etc. You could do well to learn how to hit eBay for historical sales. You'll get your redundant questions of value answered easily.

One good example is this: You have Universe Starscream and Classics Skywarp. You realllllly want a Thundercracker, but you don't want to fork out a ton of money for the Botcon version and even the $70 for the Henkei version is too much. So you take your old Classics Starscream, strip him down, take him apart, and apply like $5 of paint on him and you have a Thundercracker that's probably pretty good.

3. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

For me, I like fixing things. Hasbro has a strict budget on what they can and can't do as far as paint and engineering. Customizing fills in the gaps and let's you "fix" what Hasbro can't.

A good custom sells for more than the original. Vintage figures are best left unmodified though.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Why do people customize a car? Why do people do landscaping? They do it to add to the beauty of something.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Here are a few examples of why i do it

Mods

Animated

Bumblebee(Stinger fix)
    Lockdown(hand fix)

HA
    Bumblebee(leg and hand fix)
    Sideswipe(backpack fix)

Universe/classics
    Inferno(ladder and gun)
    Megatron(relocate scope to top of arm)

Customs

classics
    Seekers that are not 70+ dollars
    Wheeljack
    Tracks
    Jazz

Animated
    Ironhide
    Seeker clones(femscream,Thundercracker,Ramjet)
    Wasp
    Cliffjumper
    Goldbug
    Nemesis Prime
    Tick
    Soundblaster
    Buzzsaw

Movie
    Trailbreaker
    Magnus

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Its just another outlet for creativity. Some people write, some people sing, some people build and work with their hands. Its a way for them to make the toys more "theirs" than something anyone could just pick off a shelf.

Also, if they're making the toy exactly how they want it, they don't need to complain HasTak isn't doing things right. They just do it themselves.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Have you seen the customs? Lots of them look good. Before the 2007, I had no idea that this was even a hobby. There were figures I liked and I thought were cool so I bought them. Then there were others I thought were crap so I passed. Then I saw some awesome customs that made those crappy figures look WAY better and so I tried it.

Crappy figures were Movie Swindle, Wreckage, Protoform Prime and Starscream...paint them all up and viola! Awesome figures.

8. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    for all the above BUT as far a value the market fluctuates. Ive seen customs sell for more than an original MISB optimus prime, they will generally not appreciate in value unless you come across another fan who's willing to pay for it....but thats just like everything else.

9. john bee prime

john bee prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I custom painted my OP ROTF..because it looked bland with the gray plastic bot bits...now for me it looks better than the Gun Buster Chromed OP :)  that's why as much I want to buy the Chromed Buster OP... I can't-- it is expensive too :) 

10. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I've never done one (I have the attention span of a tiny insect), but I'd like to give it a try one of these days just as a side project for fun. I'll probably start with a little scout.

Some of the customs I've seen around here look amazing. I'd imagine the "pros" were (or are) big model car/plane assemblers and this is just an extension of that.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Because Hasbro has made it clear that the Generations line will be solely placed in the Deluxe price point and I would like a Voyager Shockwave. That's just one example.
    Nothing. Most of my figures are kept as-is. I get doubles for customizing, or figures I have no intention on displaying as-is.
    Depends on what kind of collector you are.
    Technically speaking, they decreased in value, as they're opened, cut up, painted over, incomplete, etc.

Most of the value in customs I attribute to the artistic aspect of it, as well as simple labor costs.
    It's something I do because Hasbro doesn't, or so far hasn't.
    There's a lot of factors to consider:

- Who the customizer is (I could make a figure and sell it for $20 while F_R, for example, could do almost the exact same custom and sell it for $200).

- How well of a job was done, craftsmanship and what-not.

- Originality of the piece in question (F_R's first Devastator as opposed to his 4th one).

- And a bunch of other things like how much the commissioner was willing to pay for it, how much the artist feels they should get for it, etc.

Ultimately though, as Aeneroth put it, it's a creative outlet. Putting effort into something we all have a passion for.

12. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Chief:

To make something cool, why else? :D 

My wife is a little funny about customizing. She feels like it's "damaging" it somehow. I think she just hasn't quite shaken the feeling, that a lot of us used to have, when we were small, that our toys were alive. (Okay, yes, they are, but let's quickly move on...)

This of course only makes me all the more gleeful about the whole thing. Now I feel like a mad scientist. :D 

13. SentinelPrime09

SentinelPrime09 Bearers of the Matrix

I only customize a figure whenever I cannot afford the real version. For example...cannot come close to affording a real Grand Maximus figure, so I took a junker Fortress Maximus and repainted him based on pics of the real version. Sure its not the real mccoy but it's close enough to me and I don't ever plan to sell it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other times I customize figures that don't exist, such as a G1 Vector Sigma Centurion Droid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^This.

As far as value, it depends on interest in the toy (meaning the Optimus Prime repainted/modded to look like a smurf probably won't be that desirable no matter how well it's done) and the skill of the customizer. The range of quality of customs you'll see people trying to sell varies wildly, as does the price they go for.

My suspicion is that in general even a good custom probably won't appreciate in value over time the same way a MISB toy would- but as long as there are serious tformer collectors, really good customs will always go for more than the equivalent used toy out of box (in some cases much more).

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I just wish I had the talent to customize my figures...

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    You can do more than you might think.

The trick is to not set your goals too high. Start with a really humble repaint which only involves partially painting a TF ; for example, using a Sharpie pen to accentuate mold details with a metallic colour.

Then move on to research, primers & acrylic paints a bit ; also the planning & workflow which come with that.

17. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

customizing is more like a person's way to express themselves, well that's what i think. it's to make something that is their own from something that exists. if we imagine a car, say a honda civic. it is a common car that everyone drives, but then you happen to see one that looks totally different. you ask yourself what the hell, but you ask yourself this, does another look like that exist out there? No. customizing allows people to express themselves individually with ideas or inspiration that they may have. its even more fun if you take shots and bring it here on the boards to show to other members and give them ideas.

its like tfa arcee. i've added panel lines and what not to make it look interesting. there are those who put red lips to make it look better. customizing can be minor or major, as long you have fun and it fits what you feel or trying to achieve.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would quote the rapper Ice Cube to explain it, but i'd get banned just for the magnitude of the swearing involved.

But for me, (if i could do a better job) it could make things easier. mod pieces to make them easier to get to or manipulate during transforming, or to save money. take one of those Peg-warming bots and make either a new figure or a stand in for another. .

those 2007 movie swindles and Camshafts make great army builders and you can customize them (a la SW clone troopers) to have some individuality (squad leader, grunt, heavy weapons soldier).

what ever adds to a hobby is a good thing, imo.

19. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a variety of reasons - sometimes it's to create a character that won't get an official toy from Hasbro. Sometimes it's just to do something different. Sometimes you see a toy that could look a lot better with some paint changes. Sometimes a toy could even work better with a structural change.

What is right about keeping them original? Is there some requirement that they stay the way they were built and packaged?

As with anything else in the world that is collected, it depends on the collector. Since a lot of collectors don't fall into neat and easy categories (e.g. "only misb toys" or "only G2 toys"), it makes it even harder to estimate the "value" of a custom. Someone who collects Alternators may or may not want custom Alts, even though there were some incredible customs made. Some of my customs probably wouldn't fetch much money, but I wouldn't sell them for $1000. I wouldn't give you $300 for some of the customs that have hit 4 figures.

Answered above.

Protip: Worry about whether you want to do it or not, don't worry about whether it's "worth" it.
    If the cost of an extra figure is a problem to you, then you won't get very far once you realize you have to factor in the cost of paint, brushes, other tools, decals, supplies for sculpting/molding, etc. etc. etc.

People customize because they like to do it. A few (very very few, relatively speaking) like customizing a lot and have a ton of talent for doing it. Those few people can do it for a living or at least as a lucrative hobby.

Again, don't worry about return on investment - chances are better than good that you won't get it.
    Depends on how good the custom is, what the figure is, what the character is and how popular said character is, etc. A masterpiece Wheelie probably wouldn't sell for the cost that it took to make. An average repainted Prime might fetch more than the figure costs, but wouldn't pay for the labor involved. You could customize Armada Sideswipe into a dozen different figures, and the world would ignore every one of them. Customs of beloved characters that are done well obviously get a lot of attention, but those niches could get flooded quickly (don't plan to retire by making custom Devastators), or those opportunities could disappear with the next official Hasbro release (Classics Thrust could bring you some money 3 years ago, but not now).

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I understand the aspect of customizing cars. I used to be heavily into the "Tuner" scene and even once owned a 1988 CRX SI that I spent time and money customizing.
    My question which many of you have answered, was geared to customizing Transformers. I've been building model cars for a long time, and my skills are mediocre. This time last year, I started building model cars again and have learned a great deal about being patient for being patients turns out the best product. I have four 1/24 scale model cars of my favorite exotic tuner "Koenig-Specials" and I'm very proud of those models. So much so I purchased display cases for them and their now mounted on the walls in my room.
    I have several ideas for two Transformers incorporating gloss-black paint and gold-plating.
    I wonder how hard it is to actually take apart these guy's, do the painting/plating, and reassemble them. I'd be doing the painting, and I know of a USA service for gold-plating.