Why couldn't we have Transformers with revoltech joints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I don't have any revoltech tfers yet. However, when I look at them, I cannot figure out why they couldn't make them transform. I am hoping some of the future lines use the tech.

For those who do own them, maybe you can shed some light on this.

Thanks,

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We already did they were called robot replicas

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I thought robot replicas could not transform either.

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I believe the issue comes from whether or not the joints can hold the stress of transformations and such. Kaiyodo DID do a transforming figure in the Revoltech line...a VF-1 from Robotech...but it was a floppy mess. The revolver joints(that's what they're called I believe) just don't seem to hold up to the needs of a transforming toy.

5. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

I think it's also a cost issue. Ultra-jointed figures seem to have inflated prices.

6. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't the revolver joints trademarked too? So Hasbro couldn't just start using them in their products, as far as I know. But of course, revoltech COULD get a license to do transforming transformers themselves. Although the VF-1 I saw a review of was pretty awful.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to let you know, though, that revoltechs are pretty floppy, and generally the joints don't really have a great range of ratchets, they just have a lot of joints.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Humm, good to know.

9. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    why is it everyone wants everything with revoltech joints? they aren't even that great

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is my exact thought.

My guess is that it comes from people who don't actually own revoltechs and just equate their popularity with either coolness or quality, both of which would be killed the second they had joints break, or have to take off a limb to get a joint to rotate the way they want.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I agree with ya, i've noticed most folks that praise revoltech joints don't actually own a revoltech, sure i like revoltechs, got a few, there just not amazing as some people say they are

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I personally don't have any, so I don't know.

Well, I do now. Just not in hand. I was able to get Starscream and Megatron for a pretty good deal.

13. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just an assumption, but I think the ball joints are preferred since they can provide alot of movement for articulation and transformation while popping apart under stress instead of breaking. It's a strange case of safety concerns and updated design worked well to make toys better instead of more limited.

The fact that ball joints allow 2 parts to attach easily without any additional hardware or structural support helps save on production costs as well, I imagine.

14. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have 4 Revoltech figures, and no they aren't fantastic or anything. The joints on some of mine are very loose, parts have broken off with minimal force (on a valkyrie or whatever. I bought it to represent Jetfire) The articulation is great and they work very well as little display pieces, but handling them makes it feel like you payed too much.
    Although I don't regret getting them :tongue: 

15. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Revoltech didn't do to well when it came to their transforming VFs. I think Bandai could do a better job by adding TF to their chogokin line.

16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Revolver joints aren't bad. I've played with some of the new generation of figures(Stuff like Queen's Blade...say what you want but mechanically they're great figures), and as action figures the revolver joints really fit the bill. The lack of articulation is due to sculpting than anything. Look at Revoltech's competition...GSC's Figma line. Their sculpts are designed in a way to facilitate maximum articulation from the joints, which aren't too different than revolver joints, truth be told.

Megatron and Starscream are nice, but they're first generation Revoltech action figures so their articulation is more limited than Kaiyodo's more recent releases. Megatron is much more articulated than Starscream, however. Don't expect to do many iconic Starscream poses.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed. There's some great figures in the Revoltech line, but when it comes down to it they're just ratcheting joints and those are a bit limiting in a TF. The joints are also quite bulky and not always well contained within a limb or body part.

I think ball joints are much better suited to TFs. They're also designed to pop off instead of break. I've had a revoltech joint break on me and it sucks. A retail TF with joints like that would get destroyed by kids nowadays.