Why couldn't they just use the Combaticons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SHINOBI03, Jul 24, 2012.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

In the first movie anyway. Just think about it:

Tank: Brawl/Devastator
    Helicopter: Blackout, replace him with Vortex
    Armored vehicle thingie: Bonecrusher, replace him with Onslaught

Barricade could be Swindle or one of those random Jeeps instead, and the only one left is Blastoff that I don't think there's a good movie counterpart.

For a huge army fanboy like Michael Bay, that's a waste! Wouldn't he fangasm over the idea of having a giant robot made of military vehicles in one like Bruticus?

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because I....I.....I don't know.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I was surprised they didn't as well. Maybe after how Devastator turned out they didn't want to use another combiner? Or maybe they were planning on using them in the first film but didn't have the resources to make them combine.

Seems like Bay would be all over them, or maybe he felt a Decepticon military unit would take away from some of his worship of the US armed forces.

4. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Maybe..He just doesn't know enough about the whole TF:Lore? Not being mean here..Just saying...My opinion.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    There was no room at that time, and the movies just weren't ready. It would've been too soon to busy out a gestault.

Also, just because he's a helicopter doesn't mean Blackout is Vortex.

6. Mudflap2011

Mudflap2011 Soldier

Well, let's just hope there is a combiner in TF4. Any combiner, as long as there is a combiner but I would love Bruticus

7. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i would've loved bruticus in DOTM over the driller. shockwave shows up, gloats over finally getting to show off his years of experimenting on the perfect gestalt, and how it guarantees victory for the decepticons... so on and so forth...

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Alien robots hiding out on Earth disguised as regular everyday items was enough of a draw for TF1, a Combiner then would've been overwhelming. Besides, Megatron was rightfully the major bad guy. Having a gigantic killer robot would've detracted from him.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It does seem like a logical choice for Bay to use the Combaticons, doesn't it? But at the end of the day, it's his choice, and for whatever reason he chose not to have them.

It's not the first time I'll say this and it won't be the last: SHOULD'VE, COULD'VE, WOULD'VE. There are thousands of decisions that have to be made in movies like these (be it TDK, Avatar, Transformers, Iron Man, whatever) pertaining to virtually every facet of filmmaking. But when all is said and done, only so many of these ideas can make it to the screen. Everyone wants something different. Everyone wants something done a certain way. Everyone has their own, special idea of how the movies should've gone, or what characters should've been in it, or how they should've looked, etc.. But it's not our movie. They're not our decisions. The filmmakers have a movie in mind, and there will always be one idea that beats out another idea in the race to visualization. The Combaticons is a concept that apparently lost said metaphorical race.

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Because Michael Bay detests anything "Transformers" other than his own.

I thought everyone knew that by now.

Also, because Michael Bay is the king of missed opportunities and bad taste.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Because then we'd complain about no movieverse constructicons.

12. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    i'm shocked he didn't see Onslaught's g1 bio:
    especially the part i bolded

13. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Swindle stole Bay's wallet in a dark alley one night and he hasn't forgiven him

But seriously, I am a little surprised they weren't used.

14. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Because they would end like every other generic con, and die by either Optimus, or Bumblebee in a few minutes.

15. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    on the contrary. i don't intend to sound biased or anything but i believe that if Bay made Onslaught a brilliant strategist, not only would he and his teammates survive, but Megatron might not get his ass killed and kicked as much as it did without the Combaticons. in fact, the other four could also be very useful under Onslaught's command if Bay were to make them highly lethal like military vehicles are supposed to be. Blast Off is a skilled, fast, and furious flyer who could drop bombs in an instant and use his default ranged weaponry (vehicle mode guns). Brawl, (despite how he died in the first movie, under Onslaught's command, he could have a game-plan to back up his sheer force) would be perfect for a well thought-out, ground-based assault. he could weaken the Autobots' stronger points provided he follows orders. Vortex could create diversions and take out any and all Autobot/N.E.S.T air support. especially if he is as skilled and hardened a soldier as IDW portrays him to be. and Swindle, well besides getting the 'cons the weapons they need, he could also be more scout-like like in FOC.

now if the 'cons ever needed some real backup (say, to fight DOTM Optimus Prime or something), Bruticus would work. hell, he could kick the Autobots' asses and level a building easily. Vortex would (obviously) be used for shielding. BO would have either his own guns, or a flamethrower like in FOC. Brawl (considering his density and weight) could be used to stomp bigger weaponry and vehicles or do a groundpound thing. Swindle could maybe have extra attachments (cause he doesn't really have any special attributes in leg mode). and if a rail gun ever tries rip Bruticus apart, his cannons could be used for counter-measures and maybe even used as a rail gun as well. or they could just separate. anyways, that my :2c: 

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For the first movie I'm guessing they already had their hands full with the complex robot designs so attempting to throw in a combiner on top of all that might have been too much. It kind of seems like they already had to take a few short cuts like really dark scenes, grit and dust cam, or shaky cam to pull off the first film.

I guess the better question is why not use them for the third film? The big worm just wasn't as impressive to me as a combiner would have been ripping the city apart.

But on the bright side that means the Combaticons never had to suffer the humiliation of being killed by humans in the movies. It also means that there wasn't movie Combaticon toys to get in the way of having the upcoming Fall of Cybertron Combaticon toys. Sure they may or may not have been cool in the movie, but I gladly trade that for getting some cool toys of the Combaticons.

17. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Lemme stop you right there. Michael Bay doesn't make brilliant, or even intellegent Decepticons. Even Megatron was a dimwitted brute.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    No. Let me stop you right there.

Megatron orchestrated several big plans over the course of the films, particularly in DOTM.

Movie 1 - his plan was to use the AllSpark to transform Earth's technology into a new army.
    ROTF - if that doesn't work, go to The Fallen and get his help with the Harvester to get Energon. Go after Sam, and you get to draw out Optimus as well. He didn't try to take on him for long; so he brought his two toughest and biggest Decepticons to personally kill Optimus.
    DOTM - his main plan he's been working on for centuries, and where his chessmaster qualities really shine. When The Fallen and the AllSpark fail, his original back-up plan was to go with Sentinel to Earth to raid its' resources. However, with the centuries in stasis, humanity has evolved to be a threat to Decepticons so he changes his plan to enslave the humans. And he sends Shockwave to alert Optimus to the Ark's prescence on the Moon, which leads Optimus to retrieve Sentinel, and revive him with the Matrix. Having revived "the key to everything", Sentinel merely had to wait until the Pillars were available. Megatron had the Dreads attack, to mobilize NEST and get them away from base. Which works wonderfully, and Sentinel is able to retrieve the Pillars, wipe out the Autobots' base, and kill the Autobots' heavy-hitter and 2IC with ease.

Megatron is far from dimwitted. TylerMirage could probably wipe the deck with my response with his own, but that's my two cents. As far as the Decepticons go, The Fallen, Starscream, Soundwave, Laserbeak, Shockwave, Ravage, Frenzy, Blackout, Barricade, Scalpel, even the Dreads and some generic Decepticons all display intelligence. So yes, there are intelligent Movie Decepticons, despite their limited screentime, and mostly going down to make the Autobots look badass.

19. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

I summon TylerMirage to the stand!

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He's not dimwitted he's just everyone's bitch.