Why Cold Winters = Global Warming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Climate Vs. Weather Video | Universe Today

YouTube - It's so Cold, there can't be Global Warming <--- Watch.

If you can't be bothered to watch the video-article I'll sum it up. Cold arctic air is being pushed to lower latitudes. When that cold air goes south warm air goes north. Simply put, the south is cold and the arctic is warm.

2. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Wasn't Global Warming proven to be all crap though? This entire thing with all those scientists suing someone else? What's that all about?

Not sure how it's all crap in the first place. It's pretty much common sense that pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere will increase the overall temperature of the Earth. I believe when Mt. St. Helens erupted the planet's temperature dropped a degree, correct?

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I dunno. The whole issue is extremely complicated and fighting about it is a bit like arguing on the internet.

I have read some pretty interesting information concerning the cause of global warming on the following web site though...

Friends of Science | Providing Insight into Global Warming

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, this cold winter actually neither proves nor disproves global warming. The unusual weather, of particular interest to those in North America recently, is the direct result of Arctic Oscillation. Still, as the video mentions, it is troubling that so many still conflate weather with climate.

No, global warming hasn't been proven to be incorrect at all.

5. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Global warming should mean, global warming! I want 20degree winters! But I'll pass on 60 degree summers >.>

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I haven't heard anything about the other side of Global Warming being fake, but I know Al Gore presents some pretty provable scientific evidence that Global Warming is real in his documentary An Inconvenient Truth.

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't believe in global warming. I believe the planet is goes through cycles.

8. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Controversy about climate change only exists within public opinion; not among climatologists.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Earth temperatures are cyclic. During the Mesozoic era, when Dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the Earth was too hot to even grow grass. Earth growing warmer as a whole? Maybe. Due to human activity? Not convinced at all. My own research on the subject seems to indicate that the number one cause of warming is due to the Sun's temperature increasing.

10. mineraljane

News Credits:
    That is also the number one reason why some dispute AGW. There have been studies (PDF) that show a correlation between sun activity and temperature over the past 1150 years. However, there has been an observed cooling trend measured for the sun since the modern global warming period began in the 1970s, so that argument doesn't seem to work.

Anyhow, I'm going to wade out of this thread now.

11. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pffft, climatology as such is a young science with multiple flaws and many climatologists are second rate geology drop-outs with poor scientific methods.

The opinion on "traditional" climate change as it is presented to the public is certainly not a done deal among professionals in the "hard" sciences.

Of course by "traditional" climate change I am referring to the idea of horrific boiling oceans of lava in 50 years occurring as a direct result of you driving your car every day.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Only thing I can say: I don't find the Winters special. They are just like they were when I was young. You often even had snow until March.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The climate is a yo-yo. Even within the span of human history, it's all over the place. I don't see where the current warming trend (such as it is) is anything threatening, or unusual.

All the arguments I've heard for human caused climate change is circumstantial at best. Some of the evidence I've heard against it is pretty damning. Every planet in the solar system is getting warmer, Earth is actually warming at a slower rate than the others. I haven't looked to confirm it, but I hear that ice core samples show that atmospheric carbon levels follow climate change.

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Global warming is the biggest load of crap spewed out since the first anti-drug campaign. The earth may be heating up, but saying man is the cause is ludicrous. Any "proof" anyone has is purely circumstantial and is junk science at best. Things happen in cycles, whether we are here or not. And in the end, the earth will repair itself of any damage we may have done in the minuscule amount of time we have been around. Period.

15. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

RealClimate
    A popular site for compiling science for, and advocating the case for the theory of Anthropogenic Global Warming driven by C02.

ICECAP
    A popular site for compiling science against, and advocating the case against the theory of Anthropogenic Global Warming driven by CO2

If you want a quick and easy summery of the "For" case, watch An Inconvenient Truth.

If you want a quick and easy summery of the "against" case, watch The Great Global Warming Swindle.

Personally, after six years of reading the case for and against, I'm a passionate believer in natural climate change, and a serious skeptic when it comes to man made C02 emissions having any major impact on the climate.

But when it comes to an issue as big as this I'm also a big fan of people reading the facts for themselves and coming to their own conclusions, as opposed to getting their opinions from commercial lobbyists, Hollywood celebrities or advocacy groups.

16. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    yeaaah, not exactly. Among others, you'll find a lot physical & chemical oceanographers and statisticians in the mix too whose work agrees with those wearing the 'climatologist' badge and espousing evidence of AGW. Last I checked chemistry and physics are fairly hard sciences. At least one area I know geologists aren't merely doing some kind of hand-waving research is with polar core samples, used to analyze past atmospheric CO2 levels, correlating to temperatures. Maybe that's really chemistry, but close enough. Either way, this type of chemical analysis isn't a soft science; at least its global daily use by the oil industry indicates it to be trustworthy and accurate.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

And to say that the global industrialization of the human species doesn't have an effect on the planet is equally ridiculous. We may have been here a short time, but we've affected change to this planet like no other species before. Period.

Both sides take this too far to satisfy their agendas though.

18. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    As much as I would like to believe that the warming going on is just part of a cycle, I just can't after considering how much destructive crap we as a species have done to the planet.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I disagree. People have a tendency to think too highly of themselves. The truth is, people only occupy 2% of the entire surface of the earth. The forces of nature are more powerful than we could ever be.

20. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I think it's a little much to say that we don't affect the planet in at least someway. I mean look at the other living things we share the planet with. Animals are going extinct at a faster rate then ever before. And there are some ecosystems like the rain forest which are being depleted at an astronomical rate.I know this does not have to do with global warming but there is no way to deny that we, as a species, have not cause some irreversible damage to the planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.