Why can't we wait?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Omik, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

The leaked trailer (which I have not watched) prompted me to ask a question I've been wondering about since the energon combiners were announced:

Why can't we wait for info to be announced?

We snap up every little bit of info we can, but it doesn't make the toys come out any faster. I'm guilty of it, too, seeing as I'm a member of these boards and all. But why can't we wait for store releases like when we were kids?

~Omik

2. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

why? because humans are curious, if we were not, then America would still not be discovered, or we wouldn't even be able to start our own fires ;) 

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The internet won't let us wait.

When we were kids, it was easy, because we didn't have a clue what was coming out.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Because we're voracious, hungry, eager and hooked capitalists and fans.

I refer you to the definition of "fanatic" from dictionary.com:
    ...yeah, that's me and Transformers stuff on the internet.

5. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I think it's just because we have access to info that we want as much as possible as soon as possible. When we were kids, or at least when I was a kid, the internet probably hadn't really been thought of.(in the 80's) We never knew the info was out there so we didn't want it.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Another thing that's nice about "quenching the thirst for information," at least for me, is that it both satisfies the mental desire to have, have, have (which, I believe, is simply part of my upbringing in a capitalistic society) AND it allows me to evaluate toys, products and MOVIES (yay!) before I buy them.

I think that seeing the "Remy's got..." threads and the "first look at..." threads are great because they're satisfying that wait and desire and interest in a new toy...but they don't put me out money. The "seek, sought, FOUND!" mentality of capitalism is there, it's just with information.

...and that's much cheaper than going and buying toys and finding out they suck once I've opened them.

7. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

3 simple words

Sense of ENTITLEMENT

Fandom's in general have this huge sense of entitlement that they need it now and can't be patient.It's actually pretty disgusting IMPO

I mean July 4th was only 5 days away

And someone out there wanted his internet fame

Well he got that plus some SERIOUS legal hassles.Because it HAD to be someone from the inside.Because I don't see how anyone else could get that trailer

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

S_C:

No, that's not it. If somebody tomorrow destroyed all Remy's galleries of unreleased stuff, then you could very well attribute some of the resulting board-storm to this sense, but such a cynical attitude is not all there is to it.

It's mostly curiosity. At a certain college in Latrobe, PA, there is a flight of steps leading down to a mysterious, red-painted door of a certain Oriental appearance. Many was the student there who wondered just what was behind the 'red Chinese door', which was always locked. I don't recall any feeling 'entitled' to know it, but damn! did they ever wish they could open it.

(Eventually, I discovered it led to the [-CENSORED BY THE FEDS-]) I have to say it was a surprise!

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    ...do you believe that's true for all the fans? I mean, that's pretty harsh.

10. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    yeah I didn't start getting like this till Energon, Before I was quite happy to just check my local TRU and toyfare every now and then.....

now I open Toyfare and say "Geez way to catch up guys this was on TFW 4 months ago!"

What happened to me.

11. Shaun_C

If you look at the post you quoted closely I said "In general"

So no I don't think that of EVERY fan. :) 

I thought that by putting "in general" in the post that I would've avoided that same question you asked me

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Same here, I stopped buying toyfair for that reason. Coming from Canada I almost wish that I wouldn't look at remi's gallery etc, because it ruins the surprise when it finally gets here. Nothing is more satisfying they walking into a toy store to see that toy that you have waited for...

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

They don't call this the Information Age for nothing.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I will throw in and agree with those that have posted that the massive amounts of instantly available information available on the internet has spoiled us.

I also only see this as getting worse as the technology improves. More and more devices allow us access to this information while we are out and about leading our daily lives. No longer do we need to be tethered to our desktop to see the latest info, we can see it on a variaty of handheld devices at "hotspots" around our enviornment.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it is because we are impatient rabidly obsessed fan boys who have to have everything as soon as possible.

16. Zylly

Zylly Member

All I know is I miss being able to go into a toystore and be totally surprised that something both new and totally unanticipated had come out. That beats knowing that something's coming and waiting for it hands down.

17. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    We can't wait because this is, frankly, something NONE of us ever could have imagined happening: a big budget live action Transformers feature film with some of the biggest names in the industry

You're damn straight we want info

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We had a clue. A comprehensive catalog with the first boxed Transformer we bought. We just didn't have a schedule. Kinda made hunting more fun. :D 

19. Shaun_C

Heck I just waited for the toy commercials.If I saw the commercial I knew it was coming out soon

Well that and the annual Xmas catalogues my parents recieved.

20. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Part of it is the fault of the distribution system. If I could just sit back and wait for the toys to hit my local store, I never would have gotten here. It's when I started seeing Alternator boxes that had bots I had never seen before (Tracks, anyone?) that I started on the Internet to find information about how they were distributed, when the new ones were coming out, and, of course, eBaying the ones I had missed.

And it snowballed from there. Even with the help of knowing release dates, case assortments, and first retail sightings, I was still having trouble. I tore apart Houston to find Shockblast. Eventually, I gave up on local retailers.

And now I order exclusively online. Well, if I'm doing that, I might as well find out about the new toys online. It's a suitable substitute for checking the toy stores once a week for anything new on the shelves, I can just get my fix more often.

As for devouring information that was released early... hell. Unless it brings legal issues for the companies, I could care less. The end product is going to see the light of day anyway, and people are going to make the decision as to whether or not they're going to spend their money. The only possible benefit for the companies (again, barring legal, trademark, or patent issues) is to hope that we might buy a product that we otherwise wouldn't if we had more disclosure. I can't feel sorry for that.

Information confidentiality is a freakin job, not a right, and it's a tough one at that. And while stealing the copyrighted work of others is horrible, whether in the act of piracy or simply passing it off as your own (Still Bangin, right?), I believe a moral line exists between that and the simple spread of information, even if a legal one does not (yet). One promotes your product, the other eliminates your ability to sell it.

If you can keep your people in line, great for you. You should start a consulting business on the side to help others do the same. But it's worse than useless to piss and moan once the information is out there. It accomplishes nothing, it makes you look like an ass, and it takes up time you could have spent doing something useful or perhaps even finding a way to prevent leaks in the future.