Why can't Paramount say outright this is a reboot???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Exactly-case in point, the scene in the graveyard in (ROTF???I can't remember exactly) when Optimus was trying to get Sam to join in with his cause, and Sam clearly just wanted to focus on going to college-as well as telling BB the same thing, in that other scene, where Bee reacts by crying like a baby. . .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deathvalleymachine

Deathvalleymachine Active Member

Its not a reboot. They give that away with the movie slogan "Every Adventure has a Begining". The Bee Bay face gives that away also of future foreshadow. We just benefit from seeing the G1 battle of Cybertron.

3. Retro Ace

Retro Ace Well-Known Member

Indeed, in this case I would love to see Megatron as a grey military tank ala Combiner Wars, probably one of the best recons of his bucket-head incarnation.

In fact I think they could do it like a Cinematic Universe, Make Optimus and Megatron kinda like the "Nick Fury" and Loki/Ultron/Thanos of the films, the big cheeses who overlook everything and with a big "avengers-style" movie we get to see them clash in battle. Gives them a sense of great importance in my opinion, when the boss-bots throw down, you know its big

in the meantime the films focus on squads, teams, commando groups from each side

Like say one film revolves around the Wreckers and whoever the Decepticon equivalent is

Or perhaps Jazz, Cosmos, Blaster and the Cassettebots vs Soundwave, Shockwave, Thundercracker, and the Cassettecons

Dinobots vs Predacons

etc, etc.

both report to Prime and Megs who we see show up here and there to oversee operations

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Originally Bumblebee was going to be a prequel spin-off movie, and unfortunately it went into production in that mindset. The reception to The Last Knight however resulted in mixed messages.

It's clear at one stage they considered turning it into a full reboot, hence why Blitzwing looks almost identical to the desires many have for a G1 Starscream - however, those ideas for a reboot likely never made it all the way.

At the moment it is stuck in a middle ground, so it's going to be advertised as a prequel as originally planned and probably used as a start-off point for a new series if successful. Chances of this getting a 'Bumblebee 2' and 'Bumblebee 3' which would be a more G1 inspired series for example seem fairly high - instead of us getting 'Transformers 6' or any continuation of the Bay-verse.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Active Member

That's what I've been saying. It's a preboot.

6. Shatter

Shatter The Transformers Are All Dead.

It’s actually a sequel to Transformers Prime...

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

This isn't the Japanese continuity where Animated is the prequel to the films according to Takara.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Yeah, the only sure thing with Paramount is that Paramount isn't sure 100% of what they want to do. :D  This is how I remember the timeline based off of what happened and what was said by the suits:

AoE did gangbusters and was the first result of the writer's room and they felt confident enough in that performance that they laid out the groundwork for a prequel BB movie and a grand end with TF6. TF5/TLK did poorly compared to AoE and they fired the writer's room and said that post-BB movie, we weren't getting another TFs movie until at least 2021. But then the BB movie picked up a lot of positive buzz so now they're back to,"Well, it's a reboot" and,"It's not a reboot."

Personally, I feel like they should've went ahead and used the BB movie goodwill to start over. I get why they don't want to do that because they'd be leaving the TF5 cliffhanger there unfinished but still.

9. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Well, AoE was written by Kruger and happened before the Writers' Room was a thing.

Funny enough, I think it likely was the Writers' Room as to why there was such a disconnect between AoE and TLK. RotF, even with the writers' strike, had an overlap of sorts with Ehren Kruger working on the script. There was no such overlap with Kruger and the Writers' Room. Plus, the writers said they got anything they wanted in the fifth movie, which is very different from Kruger it seems, as Bay had rejected any ideas for Unicron by Kruger previously.

It's a perfect case of fans needing to be careful what they wish for. Did getting rid of Kruger result in better movies? No. In fact, I'd consider Kruger the best writer in the franchise as far as his work on these specific movies is concerned. Revenge of Fallen was much better as a finished product than it had any right to be. Dark of the Moon was about as good of a movie I'd as expect at following Revenge of the Fallen. Age of Extinction actually follows the OT very logically and was, realistically speaking, perhaps the best possible post-DotM movie there could have been given the baggage left by the first three. I rate all three first sequels very highly for what they are trying to be.

Funny enough, I think there actually was plenty of stuff planned that the Writers' Room threw out or ignored. Its' revealed in the AoE Behind the Scenes that the Knightship came from a planet other than Cybertron, and Bay said that there would be things in the Knightship that would be explored in sequels.

Plus, it was revealed in 2013 that one of the melee weapons that was later seen on the Knightship belonged to none other than Megatron. We see TLK Megatron with a new melee weapon, but the transition is never really shown.

I think these things are likely just the tip of the iceberg as to what was ignored.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Active Member

Yeah, the writers' room really made it clear that they didn't care about Transformers and saw their jobs as nothing more than a free paycheck from Paramount. They threw the baby out with the bathwater when they pooped out TLK and selectively ignored continuity with AOE. Hopefully everyone soon learns the lesson that Marvel learned a decade ago and movie adaptations get to be made by people who actually like the source material from now on. I mean, a guy can dream...

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shatter

Shatter The Transformers Are All Dead.

I don’t think you realized my comment was a joke

12. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

True-and the execs whom the writers were working under, signed off on what they turned in, with significant input from the Director & Producer. . .I share that dream you have. . .

• Like Like x 1