Why can't Paramount say outright this is a reboot???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    And if the movie does well, I still don't see a sequel to TLK happening. A good box office for the Bee movie would mean people want to see a contained well-written story and faithful designs, which the sequel for TLK won't have. It's a lose-lose situation for the sequel for TLK either way.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Yeah I really wish they hadn’t ended The Last Knight so open-ended. A sixth movie could be REALLY cool if they did it right, I’d love it if they were able to get one more in and properly conclude this series.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

I agree. Personally, I wish TLK was more of a sequel to AoE with Creators and Galvatron and less the start of a Cinematic Universe with Unicron and Witwiccans and what not, but since they went the direction they did, I would want at least some closure to the series in some way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    My take on this whole situation is that obviously it was greenlit as a prequel, but the failure of TLK gave Travis Knight more freedom to do his own thing with it, and as the production continued, he found he could push further and further away from what Bay had established. An example of this would be the door wings on Bumblebeee. Early on, they felt they had to include those to stay consistent, but somewhere along the line the were emboldened to do their own thing, culminating in the G1 Cybertron designs.

Hasbro aren't bothered if the character design aesthetic shifts, different design look means fresh toys. Of course if the production was greenlit and given the money to create this as a prequel, they're in an awkward position with the people who agreed to that if they actually come out and announce that that isn't what they've done.

I think when they actually reboot the franchise, they need to go full on and wipe the slate clean, but also get it right first time and build a solid foundation. If the public gets the impression that Paramount/Hasbro just half-heartedly reboot every few years, they will become less invested in checking out any future reboot.

• Like Like x 3
  5. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee has been getting praised already and apparently it's a reboot

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    not confirmed

• Like Like x 1
  7. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a soft Reboot like Ed Nortons Hulk.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reboot yea but it does have a lot praise on this movie

9. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

Here's the thing in regard to reboots and movies. Straight up after 11 years and five movies this series needed a fresh coat of paint. Look at Marvel right now, it started, what, a year or so after the first movie came out, and right now it's kind of soft rebooting itself with the whole Thanos storyline. I don't see them removing all players, but they will be changing things. DC is rebooting from the Wonder woman and Aquaman movies it seems, and we've seen so many changes with Spider-man and I can point to James Bond who's had it happen over and over again.

Rebooting the Bayverse is not a bad idea. Look to those that grew up with the Bayverse I am sorry, but those of us that grew up with G1, got through Beast Wars (which I love for the record) sat through the Unicron Trilogy, watched RID 1, managed to get through Prime, Rescue bots, RID -2 and the weird show that was the Machinama animation series, and now Cyberverse, this is a flash in the pan. Yes, your series is ending, ended, and this is a plus. The Bayverse for the common person who wants to see movies got old, really fast. Even in China, where TLK grossed more than here in the states.

Given that Chinese Media company even pulled out after the numbers for TLK, is saying something. Hasbro making it more in line with their own stories, their own universe, is a plus in my book. They were the creators with Takara, so naturally it would be better suited to have them reboot then try to build off of a foundation that doesn't work.

Honestly I hope this is a reboot and it does well. I want the Witwicky's back, but as Spike and Sparkplug, not Sam. I want characters that connect to the bots. I want to see a red pick up truck Ironhide and a friendship between Spike and Optimus if we go there. I want to be able to point to a bot and go "That's Kup, that's Springer, that's drift..." etc. I left watching the movies after the third because I realized that they were't making Transformer movies, they were making "What if Micheal bay and co had a bunch of giant robots fight another set of generic robots". That's not transformers. They didn't act like they were supposed to, they were nothing more than metal versions of generic action characters from some more recent Chinese action movies with military aspects thrown in there for the "F Yeah" moments.

Honestly they should have stopped at three and rebooted then and there.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

But the Bay movies DO have stuff like what you’re looking for. Bumblebee and Optimus are friends with Sam. There are bonds between the Transformers and humans. A lot of the characters are recognizable from their G1 versions.

There are things like that IF you choose to see them rather than focusing on what you think is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Yeah, I see Hasbro going more MCU-ish with the films if Bumblebee does well. Prepare yourself - Spotlights are coming!

• Like Like x 1
  12. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    As I've said before, I suspect that it could be an ego thing on the part of Lorenzo di Boniventura. These movies are his biggest projects, financially, and for it to all be symbolically wiped clean might be something he's against.
    Dude, if they call the spinoffs Spotlight: Whatever, I will love you forever.

• Like Like x 3
  13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Could be. It's very similar to what happened with GIJoe.

14. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Maybe they don't want to claim it's a reboot (even though it obviously kinda looks like one) because the last time or couple times someone said "oh yeah the next TF film will totally be a soft reboot" they didn't 100% follow through

15. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual fan

Reebot in disguise

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

They were going MCU had TLK succeeded, for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I question this assertion.

Sam seemed annoyed to even be around them more often than not. And it wasn't even like a character arc or anything where he grew to like them, he was kind of a dick to them both.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual fan

Basically, almost everyone in Bayformer are dick.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sideways77

Sideways77 RIP Dandy Chiggins

News Credits:
    Because it isn't

20. ArceaneLXIV

ArceaneLXIV Member

The only time he wasn't was when he wanted them to get him a job with the government. So...development?