Why can't Paramount say outright this is a reboot???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think sometimes people forget that they could just pull any elements they liked from the previous films in the same way they could pull elements from G1, Beast Wars, Animated, Transformers Prime, or the comic books. It's really no different than when Sony starts picking things from different parts of Spider Man's various comic books and shows. Kind of rare to see big budget projects these days only pull from one source.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Artistodave

Artistodave Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    Ok, so my guess would be that the movie was originally made to connect to the first movie in a lot more of ways than now, and it shows on bee's concept art by retaining its main characteristics and being a mute, as well as door wings, and the toyline featured characters as barricade, hot rod, and prime, megatron and clunker bee on their original design, or with some homages and tweaks, probably the line was ready before production and were just waiting to launch it.

It looks like Shatter and Dropkick were alsopart of the pre-backlash/new direction the movie took, that would explain their designs being your regular Bayformers aesthetics.
    Then with the rewrites and screenings due to probably TLK not doing so good and being so convoluted, some of the elements were kept the same, while new elements were added to try to start fresh. And due to the fact that maybe the studio wouldn't want to admit the failure of the movies or to try to make the audiences connect to this "now new" take on the mythos, said that is still part of tge same continuity even though it looks like it's its own thing, which was probably a good move on Travis's part on simplifying the story and designs, but the studio mandated to keep some of the brand most recognizable attributes.
    Like a marriage trying to get a middle ground while getting divorce and not telling anyone till it's oficial.
    But hey, that's just my guess c:
    That's why bee , shatter and dropkick do not have a G1-esque design or in bee's case are an amalgam of G1 and bayformers, while everyone else clearly has it and the whole starscream-blitzwing jazz.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Shatter and Dropkick aren't G1 characters - they don't have G1 designs. Especially since there were only three proper G1 Decepticon triple changers; Blitzwing, Astrotrain, and Octane.

• Like Like x 3
  4. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Wouldn't really make a difference as this would just be another chapter in the studio series line if that were the case. A movie reboot would still be part of a movie series just as generations every once in awhile throw in a character from armada, beast wars etc.. that is not g1 into the line

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Artistodave

YouTube:
    Oh, yeah, what I meant is why their designs don't really match with what was added, that the three didn't had a total G1 aesthetic cause they were original characters or wanted to keep the recognizable characteristics on bee's case. Cause they were there from the beginning, therefore the contrast on character design on the trailer/cybertron scenes

6. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Good theory. While I agree with you for the most parts, I'm going to throw a wrench in here. When I first got to see Bumblebee concept art back in last November/December or so, Bee had his wings BUT Optimus Prime was also there in his G1 mode. So there was some sort of a G1 involvement. I'm guessing his role was just minor back then.

To your defense, the Test Screening never had the G1 scenes. They were added following the test screening feedback.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Diego g

Diego g Active Member

I do not want the reboot now. Because if I would like it but at least the bayformers end. I left with the doubt that happened. Also all my friends, relatives among many people that I know. Please if it is a reboot I only ask one thing to finish bayformers I grew up with that.

8. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    You mean a sequel to TLK? Sadly it's off the table for the moment. I usually keep in touch with the Paramount side as much as I can. But from what I heard, they are not considering a TLK sequel at least for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 4
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Have you heard anything recent regarding the Cybertron prequel? Is that still happening, or was it cancelled?

10. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Didn't hear anything about it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Ah, okay. When I first heard about it I was kind of ambivalent about the idea, but after seeing the Cybertron designs in Bumblebee trailer I'm really hoping it gets made.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think that's gonna happen. If this movie dumbs I could see Paramount halting all TF films, like with TMNT.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Artistodave

YouTube:
    Maybe they had the Optimus concept in case they wanted to go the G1 route, and had different designs like the upcoming leader Prime, which is essentially evasion Optimus.
    I'd say they did something like with MCU's Spider-Man. Where they prepared several designs from different iterations from the comics and deviations from the original, and ultimately went classic with some modern tweaks.

14. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    There's also the possibility of the G1 scene to be only a fanservice. The movie is set in 1983(?) and people were asking for these designs for quite some time. What better opportunity to use them than that? The scene is very much separate from the rest of the movie so it's easy to slip a different animation style there. Such ideas were used before like in HP Deathly Hallows where the history of the elder wand was told with animation.

Plus including both styles: a tuned up G1 and Bayformers with simplified design will allow Hasbro to judge after the movie the audience's response to each design. The next movie won't be sooner than 2 years from now, anyway.

Although, I think that Bumblebee will be a standalone, a final hurrah for the Bay series. It's purpose is to once again endear the audience to Transformers movies that's why they went with the Iron Giant vibe and G1 references. The next movie will probably be a reboot connected to the Hasbro Cinematic Universe that starts in 2019 or 2020. I think that both M.A.S.K. and G.I. Joe movies already have a director attached.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shackstoys

Shackstoys Active Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hoover dam?

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where they hid Megatron and the Allspark aka the entire plot of the first movie in 2007.

17. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they wont call it a reboot just yet.

18. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I was pleasantly shocked when I saw the trailer and I could actually tell the bots apart. The previous movies looked like 2 CGI junk yards fighting each other.

I may actually watch this one, especially if they avoid all the stupid Whitwicky family idiocy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Member

Yeah, this movie was definitely originally intended to be just a prequel, but when TLK made Paramount realize that people were losing interest in the direction the movies had been going in, I think they hastily concocted a plan to make Bumblebee into a potential reboot. But only a potential reboot. Like, if this movie does well, they can say "Yeah, it was totally a reboot! Now we can do sequels without regard to the other 5 movies!" But if it were to fail, they could say "Naw, that was just a prequel. That continuity is over now, the next movie is going to be a real reboot, starting from square one." But if they were to just outright say Bumblebee is a reboot, then have it fail, then have to reboot that reboot again, that would make them look like they don't know what they're doing. And their shareholders wouldn't like that.

So as it is, it's set up to be a potential fork in the timeline. Kinda like the plot of Star Trek 2009, but they're not going to acknowledge the old continuity if things do end up changing. This movie still functions as a prequel to the Bayverse, but it can also simultaneously have another timeline fork off of it where everything's different. It's a prequel, a soft reboot, and it's ready to be a hard reboot if it can. I call it a preboot. I've said all that before, but I think it bears repeating.

• Like Like x 7
  20. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros Rhinocerotoidea Trendsettius

Why does it matter what the studio says it is? If it plays like a reboot when you see it, then feel free to consider it such.