Customs: why can't I get these paint apps off these cybertron toys?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, May 2, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I'm working on repainting some cybertron basics into g1 minibots, and I've been trying to get the giant autobot logo off the front of cybertron swerve and the striping off of overhaul. I was using 91% alcohol on a cotton swab and must've spent 5 minutes rubbing and the apps. weren't coming off. any ideas? I want to keep the underlying body colors intact.

2. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I think someone said to soak them for a while in the alcohol. I haven't tried it with alcohol yet.

Edit: In the "ops was a truck, exhaustive kitbash resource" it says to soak for 24hrs and then the paint should just wipe off. Use an old toothbrush for any detail areas. Good luck

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    the problem is that it's a paint app on top of another paint app for swerve. I'm thinking I'm going to end up painting him a different shade of red anyway, but if I could get that autobot logo off, I'd think twice about it.

I just noticed that overhaul's green was actually molded in that color, so that's fine, but it's swerve I'm worried about.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah... if I'm remembering right, I think Swerve's front end is actually entirely grey translucent plastic with red painted over top.... so I'd really think twice about soaking it!

SOME translucent plastic seems to crumble when soaked in alcohol... and at the very least, you'll probably remove the red along with the autobot symbol. To be safe, I'd probably just paint right over the thing.

zmog

5. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry, didn't take a look at what toy you said you were working on. I just thought you were asking about paint removal. I don't know if its even possible to remove just one layer of paint. Good luck

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I had the same problems with Dark Crumplezone. Unless you soak it for a while, it's gonna fight you tooth and nail.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    yeah, after looking at it, it appears that since the windshield's translucent plastic, the whole thing might be. looks like he's gonna become a different shade of red altogether.

overhaul, on the other hand, is gonna get himself a bath tonight :ev: 

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    just an update, I had overhaul soaking in 91% alcohol all weekend, and the paint apps STILL won't come off, short of me taking a hard metal object and scraping so hard it gouges the paint. what gives, and what else might work?

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Did you read Op's Thread? There is a comment about "Purple Power" or something like that.....I think it will eat through that clear plastic though.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    you know, I did read op's thread, but finished at the stripping paint apps with alcohol part. I wish that thread could somehow get organized better, have a table of contents, or something.

11. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

That was my problem with my constructicons! too complicated...

12. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    symbols

I used the Alcohol on my Skids, Ricochet, and a few others after finally trying it but the symbols on Classics Ultra Magnus's shoulders are not phased.