Why can't hasbro release something like this for TFers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I was poking around on TRU and came across this bad boy:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Secret Sewer Lair Playset - Playmates - Toys "R" Us

The thing is awesome. If I was a TMNT whore, I would totally get that. Look how much there is on that thing.

Now the question is, why can't Hasbro do something like that for Transformers. iGear did Teletran set, but I was too late for that.

I mean really, when it is just plastic you can do so much cool shit. With their whole powerizer BS, it would actually go to good use here since they can light up Teletran and have the some things move, etc.

Also, all of the "Parents don't spend blah blah blah" doesn't work here. This is a mass release product by a competitor on a nostalgic line.

2. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure TRU is the only one stocking this in-store... Wal-Mart, Target and all the rest passed on it due to the size and cost.

Actually, according to BBTS, it's an exclusive:

Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Toys Hit Toys"R"UsĀ® Stores Nationwide This Month - MarketWatch

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Isn't a large chunk of that cardboard?

Aside from that, this is a fairly ambitious relaunch of a toy line that hasn't had a particularly strong retail presence over the last few years. and i'm gonna guess they may not be making much money on that particular item, but they consider it necessary to create brand awareness.

Transformers on the other hand, has been a steady seller over the last decade or so, even if it's not making the money Hasbro want out of it. I guess what i'm getting at is Hasbro probably just dont think it's worth their time.

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    SCALE issues.

All those TMNT figurines are in scale with each other.
    For Transformers, you'd HAVE to buy from all kinds of different size classes
    to fit in the characters, in this seemingly uniform mini-universe setting.

I mean, in terms of functionality all these TF characters will have to be able to
    to use the environmental instruments, levers etc. Also, a Heli Port or Landing Strip or
    Ship/Hovercraft Bay, are probably not going to fit in.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    To answer the question asked in the thread's title: because you'd wait for a clearance sale before buying it.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I don't even need all the ladders, etc. Give me what iGear made and I am fine.

I just wait for Impossible Toys stuff to be clearanced. Most stuff I have no patience for, unless the figure is a definite question mark for me, I don't wait.

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Pretty much this. I am a TMNT fan and won't even go near this thing due to it's price and size. It would need to be pretty heavily clearance before I would consider buying it and the same would go for a TF playset.

8. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Scale was my answer. That, and, to me at least, the iconic set pieces are g1 themed and have no relevance to the current market unlike the TMNT lair

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Let's not take it to be exactly like this. Let's look at the iGear set as an example.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    A lot of people bought the iGear set on clearance (even I did), it wasn't selling at first. But look at what happened...

11. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Yeah, but there's worlds difference between that TMNT example and the Igear set, which is basically like comparing a mini universe to what is basically a box room.

12. Optimum1996

Optimum1996 Insert something here

A playset like that would be cool for cyberverse figures

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    That iGear ARC set was the worst move the TF fan community made. It had its issues like it wouldn't stay together, it was warped and the stickers didn't hold. Add a drop of crazy glue to each connection spot (literally one small drop) and the set became PERFECT. Well because iGear didn't mention you needed glue and because it was one of the first 3P items, the fandom went in to a rage and the set was killed. Due to this we lost our Deception set :( .

Myself? I bought one and added glue and I would not give up this thing for the world, and now out can own one too for the low price of $400. I really don;t get why iGear didn;t jump back on this ship. Add one note that glue is required and everyone will know what they are getting in to. I bet these sets (bot and con) would sell like hotcakes in todays market.

On point. I have no clue why Hasbro never makes playsets for TFs. You can agrue scale but just set it around Deluxes and Voyagers (which is what all of Prime and Classics is for the most part) and presto our first playset. With those Cyberverse playsets being released, I can see them upscaling something IF sales on the current releases prove to be favourable.

One a side note, sounds like Takara will be doing something like this for the MP line but I think those will end up being more like backdrops to display your MPs.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The Cyberverse DOTM ark and Prime Optimus Maximus are playsets. Your arguement is invalid.

According to Pixel Dan's video review, only the city scape at the top.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's because the really big ticket items for Transformers haven't been exactly flying off shelves. Retailers seem to want those items that will move quickly so they can reset with something else.

Toys-R-Us might have gone with the Turtles set with the idea of it can be one of the big items they like to push around the Christmas holiday to get parents to shop there instead of at other retailers. The company seems to love big things for the only at Toys-R-Us or door buster specials.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Um. Cyberverse.

Just because you don't buy them doesn't mean they aren't there.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Because a tiny "base" for Legends is exactly the same as one big enough for Deluxes.

Although I will say that any reasonably-sized base produced by either Hasbro or a 3rd party is going to be priced way too expensive to bother with so I can see why they aren't really available anymore. It might be worthwhile for fans to buy a hard suitcase and kitbash some platforms and artillery pieces into it than to wait for somebody with actual manufacturing resources to release half a cereal box with some stickers and two or three crude dollhouse accessories for the low low price of just $149.99 plus tax (only available at select Toys R Us locations in Alaska).

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    If I was a kid, I wouldn't be interested in girls anyway, and would offer my left and right friends for a set like this. And if it applied to Transformers? <head explodes>

Here's the thing about playsets. Yeah, they're super inconvenient. And incredibly large. And usually the first thing to go bye bye when you have to donate your toys because they're just gathering dust.

But as a collector? Dude, look up Boulder Hill for M.A.S.K., original Castle Grayskull (except when you put that slime on it and then ruined it and your parents couch permanently and got grounded), or some of the Joe playsets. Those things are BANK for money if they're in good condition. In twenty years, the Shield Helicarrier will be at least five times what it's worth now. Large playsets are not just fun, they're investments.

Yeah, it's a suck fest right now for buying big ticket items. But Thanksgiving is coming with a vengeance. I think the economists are going to plotz themselves with how much people actually spend.

The playsets are also REALLY fun. All that stuff flying around, and figures that you can have adventures with? Heck, you could turn that Turtle set into a Transformers sewer. Just throw the Horrorcons and the Terrorcons on there, and it's a party.

Or look at Robot Heroes. Anyone see the Mobile Command Center? That thing is beast. The fact that you can raise the figure up, drop him down and launch the transforming Prime? I think that's ingenious.

So yeah, playsets are bulky, but when I was growing up, I envied the other kids who got them.

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Playsets don't sell the way they used to. Back in the 80s, you could barely throw a brick without hitting a toyline that had a playset available. Hell, Masters of the Universe alone had at least four (Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, the Horde Lair, and the Towers of Eternia off the top of my head), the original TMNT line had two (Sewer Playset and the Technodrome), the Thundercats had their whole tower... but in recent years, I've seen very few full-on playsets. Honestly, I assume the risk factor became too high somewhere along the line.

I think there was an interview with Jesse Falcon at ToyBiz (years ago, mind you) where he said the exact same thing, when asked by ToyFare about the possibility of Marvel playsets like Doom's Castle. Playsets are just a hard sell any more, especially when you look at the costs. Part of the reason TMNT can get away with it is 1) the figures are relatively small-scale, 2) they're supported by an upcoming TV series on a major network, and 3) Nickelodeon/Viacom money backing the whole thing. Even then, it's still taking a risk - the Thundercats (2011/12) playsets still clog shelves, and they're really cheap, and for smaller figures.

As for TFs... you've got the Cyberverse playsets. Which are pretty damn skippy for what they are. The line is in a consistent scale, and they're small, which makes the playsets inexpensive. Even the Optimus Maximus set isn't high enough in price to guarantee a 'should I or shouldn't I' response. It might not be to your preferences, but it's good for what it does.

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I think it helps that TRU is exclusively toys. When that is pretty much the only thing you really sell at the store, you can afford to devote shelf space to big items like that. You don't need to worry as much about big toys taking up to much shelf space since you have so much of it to utilize. Go to any TRU and see how much space those big ass McFarlane Halo figures and stuff takes up, and you'll see what I mean.

Toy space in other big box retailers is a premium. They need that stuff to move, and big sets like that don't move as fast as big box retailers want. Look at the GI Joe Sky Striker...the only time it moved was when it went on clearance. That's when I got mine.