Why can't Hasbro do something like this for Transformers fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TIE Bomber, Jul 23, 2009.

1. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

I wish Hasbro would do something like this for us Transformers fans.

Marvel Poll

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Probably because Hasbro already knows most of the fan favourites and releases them a lot anyway.

3. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

Uh huh! Okay, besides Bumblebee & Optimus Prime.

Yup! I'm so sick of seeing Wheeljack & Trailbreaker in the stores so much! They're really over-doing MY favorites!

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I can agree with you because I think it would be neat to see Hasbro do a poll like that. The problem is Bumblebee and Optimus Prime are so popular that they'd be stupid if they stopped putting out more and more figures of those characters. Those two are too much $$$ for Hasbro.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. They still have a Wolverine toy in the poll...

Off topic- that was a hard decision. I want Multiple Man, Warpath, Fantomex and Havok. But had to decide on only three? crap.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

They did that for us when they were figuring out what the first Masterpiece should be like.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

There needs to be an option there to vote for Deadpool three times.

I don't think it's like we're badly treated as fans. Hell, the whole Universe line would beg to differ with that.

8. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I agree 100%.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's the second poll Hasbro has had for Marvel Legends. The first one was the one we got to decide which figure would be the HTS Exclusive one (AoA Sunfire), but what I really want to know is what happened to all those other awesome figures that were shown with Sunfire? It doesn't look like any of them made it to this poll at all (which is a shame because I liked the new Magneto and Silver Samurai figures they were showing off back then).

For me, this one was pretty easy being an X fan. Havok (didn't care for the old costumed one that was Wally World exclusive), Phoenix (would have preferred Jean in her Jim Lee costume, but I can live with her as 'The White Phoenix of the Crown') & Multiple Man. Not sure if all fo those will (or any) will make the final cut, but I can imagine Jean probably has some of the highest chances (especially seeing as the first Phoenix figure was so horrible). Curious to see what three figures Hasbro will choose to pack with the winners though.

As for them doing this with Transformers... as has been said... they did do a poll when they were deciding who/what the first MP should be like. However, that's really the only time. I guess I can understand how, given that most Transformers lines are based around a show (meaning certain characters have to get figures, because they're in the show) it would be hard for them to do with most Transformers lines. However, with the recent advent of Universe... there is an avenue now. I'd be down with a poll even if they just let us pick out potential repaints/remolds of existing figures if they weren't willing to waste potential resources of an all new mold on a fan choice given that Transformers (unlike Marvel Legends) is less about the collectors and more about the kids. That last part, I think personally, is probably the biggest factor as to why it was only the MP that we got to vote on (because the MP was aimed at us).

10. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Somehow I don't believe any of that was true, or counted for anything.

11. flamepanther

Actually, it works the other way most of the time. Characters get added to the show to market the toys. What really makes the difference, as you mentioned, is that the Marvel figures are specifically targeted at fans, whereas Transformers lines are made to sell to kids. Hasbro has to make the toys they think the kids will buy first, with pleasing the hardcore fans as a secondary consideration.
    Maybe. But the poll results showed we voted for a huge Optimus Prime with electronic lights and diecast metal. I can't imagine the fandom really voting for anything else, and that's exactly what we got, so the results are the same either way.

12. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    There's no reason they can't, rather they won't.

The proverbial example here is Stepper, the much sought after Japanese Targetmaster. Clamoured for by fans, re-issued in the TRU line as Richochet, what happens? He's a huge shelfwarmer, I'll bet there are still stores with him in a corner of the stockroom.

That was a collectors/fans line, TF's are primarily for the youngsters, listening to us is unwise.

13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, I thought they did a collector-oriented poll recently?

14. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

I want to know why the fuck bumblebee just became so goddamn great?

15. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember finding a picture from a Hasbro Q&A some weeks back, where they showed a chart sorting out Transformers' main markets. We're sadly not even the second largest compared to the children's segments.

Being part of Spike's entourage made him so goddamn great. Spike took him to all the happenin' places and events in-between TV tapings.

16. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You either weren't here to read the thread or didn't actually read it.

When it came to people who actually stated what character they wanted for the special 20th anniversary toy, two characters were the most named. Skyfire (as in G1 toon Skyfire, not Jetfire) and Unicron. I don't remember which actually had more people saying they wanted that character as I don't recall keeping that accurate of a count.

To be sure, there were also alot of people who said they wanted Optimus Prime, but not nearly as many as either of those other two (Soundwave was coming in at 4th place).

However, a very large number of people stated (well not everybody used this exact wording, but enough of the people responding made it close enough to to this): "Well, since this is for the 20th anniversary, it should be a character representative of the line. Optimus Prime would be the most recognizable of the characters for people who aren't big fans, so it should be him."

So, it was what people felt obliged to say should be the special 20th anniversary figure, not what they actually wanted to see.

Between the people stating an obligation that they felt had to be carried out :rolleyes2  (that's not what Hasbro had actually asked when they asked us what we wanted as the 20th anniversary figure) and the people who actually wanted Optimus Prime, OP won out over the next leading characters by a pretty big margin.

The character that could have ended up winning that poll if people had just stated who they actually wanted would not have been Optimus Prime.

Of course, if the poll had turned out that way, we wouldn't have gotten the winner of the poll. When the poll ended and the messages were read, the statement from Hasbro was: "That's what we anticipated. We're sure you'll like the things we've got in store for the future."

You see, they already had MP OP pretty far along in the production process (roughly halfway through) and Armada Unicron was also in the pipe. So, even if the vote had turned out differently, they weren't going to stop production and go through the very expensive process of making a completely new and totally different Masterpiece figure in the time they had left to get it out for the 20th anniversary.

So, no, we didn't get what we wanted for the 1st Masterpiece figure. We got what alot of people thought we should want.

Have fun with that thought and what the ramifications of it really are.

17. flamepanther

I paid attention to what the poll said much moreso than the comments in the thread. There's almost always going to be a disproportionate amount of talk from people who are unhappy with how things are turning out. See almost every movie related thread that's had a poll in it. I voted in the poll, and I posted in the thread. I protested the idea of using diecast metal in it, so no, it's not what I specifically wanted either. It's what got voted for, though, and like most others I was thrilled with it overall.

I'm also not inclined to think that the "ramifications" of what toy was offered to a bunch of collectors are really worth much consideration.

18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The movie version is what made him popular recently imo. I guess he is seen as being kid friendly in the all too PC world we live in now.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall, I think Hasbro is going a good job with TFs. I think Mattel fans have more to gripe with some of its actions. The latest being the SDCC fiasco! LOL!

20. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What did Mattel do (or didn't do)?