why cant autobots fly? (animated)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by morgan1194, Jan 11, 2011.

1. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

in transformers animated, autobots are unable to fly (excluding jetfire, jetsorm, and wingblade prime) is it ever explained? is there a good reason for the decepticons to be able to fly and the autobots cant?

2. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

In order to appropriatly answer this we must return to the 1980's and the begining of the G1 cartoon. It began with a 3 part made for TV mini series movie (I'll just keep throwing words in until i know I've got it right) called "More Than Meets the Eye".

In those first 3 episodes of G1 the Autobots could also fly. But somehow kept getting into situations where they should have been able to fly out of harms way (which would kill the suspense). Prime also uses a jetpack in the end...

But in episode 4 they suddenly cannot fly. This is because:

A. Why transform into a car when you can fly
    B. Why not just follow the retreating Decepticons if you can fly after them
    C. How are you stuck in any sort of pit or water trap if you can fly?

I think the Dinobots can fly in G1....anyway yeah, it is just to add more suspense and keep the Autobots from finding secret bases. Plus it makes the Autobots the underdogs...which is cool.

3. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

that totally makes sense.

4. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

Once the Autobots lost the ability to fly in G1 they were pretty much destine to walk/drive for every other continuity.
    In an episode of season 2 (of G1) the aeriolbots (who were just built and were up till this time the only flying Autobots to survive an entire episode) go back in time to find that when the Decepticons first showed up many including Orion Pax (Optimus Prime) thought they were cool and wanted to join them just because they could fly.

5. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

ohhh yeahh, i remember that episode! they were all like, "hey cool they can fly an stuff" then megatron flew down and kicked their asses.

6. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

well, as it was said before, autobots (without flying alt modes) were flying just in first 3 episodes of G1 (but I seem to recall more episodes showing some of them flying... but, whatever...)
    in animated it's just part of Animated story, maybe not a G1 homage, maybe it is a nonG1 homage, I mean, did RID, A/E/C trilogy or movieverse autobots (without flying alt mode) fly? :p 

7. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

In Energon they could fly, even while they were in car form. :/

But otherwise, yeah, the Autobots can't fly unless they have an alt mode for flight or some sort of jet pack.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

There is one problem with that line of thinking.

The Autobots never truly lost the ability to fly in the G1 toon.

Being able or not being able to fly was more of a plot devise they used from time to time.

There are a number of season 2 and 3 episodes in which Autobots are seen flying.

Right, and how did Orion attack Megatron???By flying up in the air:crazy: 

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

dp

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
  11. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

the greatest part in G1 is when the dinobots went to the island and flew there. then later got ran off a cliff into the tar pit by a stampeed (they can fly though) and swoop who was flying at the time also went into the tar pit. it was awesomely horrible.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Just 'cuz you can fly, doesn't mean you can't fall.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Style choice. Same reason Decepticons have army weapons while Autobots only have working tools.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In Animated they really wanted to play up the physical difference between Autobots and Decepticons, including size, 'warlike' weaponry, and flying ability. (to the point where designs based on formerly flying G1 characters were redesigned as ground vehicles).

I'd think that conceptually flying is seen as a wartime weapon among Autobots, so only Autobots dedicated to fighting have the ability (Jetfire/Jetstorm, Omega Supreme, the Wingblade upgrade).

It's worth noting that Decepticons without flying altmodes aren't often seen flying either.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As other people have said it was a plot device to put the Autobots in bad situations where they couldn't just fly away like the Decepticons when things turned bad.

If you just have to have a reason why try this. Over the millions of years that the Autobots and Decepticons were at war on Cyberton the Decepticons dominated the air war. After losing too many bots the Autobots stopped flying and lost the ability as they evolved in a different direction.

16. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

rewatch the episode. swoop was above the stampeed flying and was untouched but then went down into the tar pit for no reason. awesome.

17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I think, in Animated, the Autobots did not fly due to some roots in G1. Although you saw Autobots fly throughout the series (MTMTE and all of season 3) the bottom line was Decepticons fly and Autobots don't. Mr Wyatt took a lot of cues from G1 and I think this was one of them.

As mentioned I am sure this was also done to widen the gap between Autobots and Decepticons in terms of strength and fighting capabilities.

18. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

There was one Season 1-2 Autobot (other than sideswipe, aerialbots, and dinobots) that I remember being able to fly very clumsily. I believe he jumped on a Seeker at some point...bah who was that? The others i don't recall but you're probably right.

Really?! I need to rewatch that. Talk about plot hole lol.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Cant remember that one, or all that flew, but Wheeljack flew a few times.

Yeah, I always though they dropped the ball on that one.

20. morgan1194

morgan1194 kitbasher

damn, i didnt expect this many answers.