Why buy a PS3 at launch?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Sep 12, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Serious question, not an attempt at flaming.

I understand eventually wanting a PS3. But the games seem to be lacking and the cost is high. Now I see the price on Blu-Ray players are starting to drop, and may well be at or near the same cost as the PS3 by XMas. Some HD players are already below it. And that's assuming one has an HDTV that can take advantage of it.

So, other than scalping, why fight the crowds and pay the price? What am I missing?

2. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

A Japanese birth certificate? A nice hard blow to the head? An unused trust fund that gives you countless thousands of dollars to throw away on adolescent toys?

Seriously, take your pick. Those're the only things I could come up with.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Because it's cool to pee your pants. You're not COOL, unless you pee your pants.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed.

I've never seen the apeal either myself.

1)The crowds have to be ungodly
    2)Lack of game selection
    3)The relatively high price

Honestly I think it's more for scalping then anything else.And there are SOME that actually want the games that are released.

Myself however,I've never gotten a system at it's release date.The good games I want always seemed to come out a year or so later

5. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Why scalp something only 5 geeks in Minnesota reallys want? (/Sarcasm)

6. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I would think people would do it because they either plan on scalping it (not a bad idea),they want to be able to say they have it or there are people like me who want to get it so why not pick it up on launch if possible.

As for the comments that always come up about lack of game selection,look at every non Nintendo console launch and you see the same thing.

Last year when we waited in line for the 360,when we were about to pay for it,a guy offered $700 for it. So there are definately people who will shell out extra to get it.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've only gotten a few systems at their US launch (GameCube, GBA, NGPC, N64) and knowing Sony's history of systems having issues at launch, I'd recommend waiting awhile to see how it does. The PSX had some limited, as did the PS2.

If (or WHEN) the price comes down by $50 to $150, and I can get an HDTV, I might get it. Right now, though, it doesn't seem to have much going for it game wise.

8. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

The only time I've ever gotten a system at launch was the N64. And as you can guess, this scarred me deeply. I have yet to buy a Nindendo developed game since then. *shivers*

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Some people haven't caught on to or refuse to believe in Sony's history of problems yet. Some people have to have the "newest thing" the very instant it comes out. Some people have more money than sense. Put these three things together and you just bought a PS3. Why ask though? If you think PS3 is worth getting eventually, then just wait for that eventuality and let the idiots do what they want until then. If those few crazy people didn't buy it while it was still overpriced and useless, there would be very little interest left in the PS3 by the time the price dropped to something reasonable. If nobody buys it, nobody makes games for it. Then it's useless forever.

10. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

It seems people like to fault sony for their problems with their consoles while at the same time ignoring the many problems MS has had with the 360 since it was launched.

There were hundreds of stories within the first few days of 360's having fatal errors and crashing. There are still 360's doing it to this day. Most problems I've seen with the Sony consoles havent completely impeded gameplay,but for the most part in my experience just made it more tedious to play. With the 360,once this problem happened the console was toast (the blinking red circle of death,caused randomly on many launch consoles).

Then toss in the fact that playing games with the system set up vertically is pretty much a guaranteed way of damaging your game discs. Even though on the box and in store displays they say you can set it up that way. It even got to the point where MS tech support are telling Electronics Boutique employees to tell the customers not to set the sytem up that way because of this fault.
    Now before I get flac for being a anti-MS sony lover,my first ps2 developed problems reading cd games about 1-2 years ago and gave me nothing but headaches trying to get some games to load. There are some that wont work at all anymore and some dvd games cause problems. My PS1 after a crapload of playtime (added a modchip as well,im sure playing burned games doesnt help its life span) has a hard time playing games with extensive cutscenes. But luckily my 360 hasnt had a problem whatsoever.

Why all the hate for the PS3? Its not like the Xbox(or 360) was cheap when it came out so the price cant be the problem.

11. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

I didn't get a 360 at launch; I definitely won't be getting a PS3 at launch.

I see no reason. Price is insane, games will be lacking, who knows what hardware problems will pop up, crowds and lines....yeah. There really is no reason.

I waited for the 360, until there were games I actually wanted to play, and for a lot of the hardware 'bugs' to start to get worked out. Not too mention I actually found someone who gave me $150 bucks for my old XBOX. :D  I do not regret my decision.

I'll likely get a PS3 eventually...but it won't be anytime soon.

12. flamepanther

I'm sorry, but consoles that don't boot unless you turn them sideways (even the ones that aren't meant to) if at all, or that straight up die within one to two years are an impediment to gameplay. The answer should be to have the system repaired or replaced by the manufacturer, not for the customer to jump through hoops in order to "live with it."
    And you have no clue why people give Sony's hardware a worse reputation than Microsoft's?
    Oh yes it can. The 360 wasn't (and isn't) cheap, but it's not nearly as expensive as a PS3. Another factor that probably has a huge impact is that Microsoft reputedly has much better customer service than Sony... which honestly would not be difficult to accomplish anyway. With Microsoft or Nintendo, if your hardware has a problem that isn't your fault, you've basically got nothing to worry about. If a Sony product fails, most people end up returning it to the store (if it dies soon enough for that) or having to buy a new system to replace it.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'd wait unitl the frenzy dies down. *nods*

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It really wouldnt make sense for people to bring up problems with the 360 in a PS3 topic.

15. McBradders

Yet everyone can bring up PS2/PSP/any other Sony Problems whenever they see fit?

OK.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

cause its Sony :lol  (see, whenever seem fit)

17. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    You're right in that Sony's quality isn't near what it used to be. But, each "major" console developer has had issues with a system in the past.

I NEVER had any problems with my original unmodified PS1, and I still have it. But, I've had many of their PDAs (when they made them) and MANY of them had problems with the displays and other issues. With some products Sony produces solid, reliable, products. However, with others they do not. Their own batteries aren't too good, and some of their displays aren't far behind.

I'd like a PS3, because I skipped the PS2. The hardware is there, as long as it doesn't have issues, and if the software developers supports it then it will succeed. I've owned a few "consoles" that had the right hardware, but no support on the software side. I have a Tapwave Zodiac (which I got when it was released at retail), which is now discontinued and the company is out of business. It's PS1 quality games were cool, but the system failed for many reasons. Mainly from lack of third party support.

My greatest concern is not with potential problems (which I don't think there'll be any) but with Sony's established history of "supporting" their customers.

Initially with the PSP release (I had one), Sony disclosed that if the display had a dead pixel that it was normal and they would not support or fix it within warranty. After I had gotten rid of mine, I found out that enough people complained to Sony that they agreed to fix the problem before additional action was to be taken against them. As long as Sony supports their console, and their developers, it should do fine. The major hurdle they have to contend with is its price. I can't afford a $600 system (NOT including games, base system), but a $450 one or cheaper would be better and I can afford to get some games with it.

18. McBradders

OH LOL

...yah.

19. flamepanther

I was going to say "it's karma", but whatever.

20. McBradders

[​IMG]

Blah.